Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Information on Princess Michael's background  (Read 2346 times)
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2021, 03:03:46 AM »

From another thread; Lot of RDers assume that Marie-Therese was brought up in Austria.

Princess Michael of Kent was brought up in Sydney.

Her brother, a junior public servant, lived in Canberra, initially in a tiny ex-guvvie house rather like this one:

Her mother was a beautician and hairdresser in the (pre gentrification) area of Waverley.

Her brother had a child out of wedlock with another Canberra bureaucrat at about the time of the wedding, which caused some consternation in the family in case word got out to the tabloids. He did not marry the mother, but later married a very senior bureaucrat from a solid upper-middle-class background and moved to an affluent suburb - but he never had any money of his own.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:34:31 AM by Maria » Logged
Paulina

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 07:36:45 AM »

Fascinating! How did she enter royal society then, and marry a prince? How did their paths cross?
leatherface

Gigantic Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 08:00:23 AM »

Fascinating! How did she enter royal society then, and marry a prince? How did their paths cross?

AFAIK MC married a connected aristo, a baronet I believe, made her way into London society, found out Prince Michael thought she was hot, made a play for him and when she had PM on the hook she discarded hubby for HRH.

I have to say, her social climbing was well played.
Princess MS

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 08:51:01 AM »

... brought over from 'off topic' in another thread. Lot of RDers assume that Marie-Therese was brought up in Austria.

Her brother, a junior public servant, lived in Canberra, initially in a tiny ex-guvvie house rather like this one:

Her mother was a beautician and hairdresser in the (pre gentrification) area of Waverley.

Her brother had a child out of wedlock with another Canberra bureaucrat at about the time of the wedding, which caused some consternation in the family in case word got out to the tabloids. He did not marry the mother, but later married a very senior bureaucrat from a solid upper-middle-class background and moved to an affluent suburb - but he never had any money of his own.
her

Really is that the best you can do Huh? Trash her brother ? And how could you know what his life has been in the last 3 + decades ....what "he has never had money" That is nasty and says more about you
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 10:12:15 AM »

... brought over from 'off topic' in another thread. Lot of RDers assume that Marie-Therese was brought up in Austria.

her

Really is that the best you can do Huh? Trash her brother ? And how could you know what his life has been in the last 3 + decades ....what "he has never had money" That is nasty and says more about you

Um he is a fine fellow - not trashing him at all. I donít equate money with worth. I know several connections of his and his wifeís. The daughter is a horsewoman and artist in her early 40s.
Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 11:15:48 AM »

Marie-Christine was a baroness, daughter of a baron and a countess.  Her mother was the daughter of a count and a princess.  Her maternal grandfather was the last imperial Austrian ambassador to imperial Russia.  Some would say she was an aristocrat even with her "lower middle class upbringing."  In some circles it's about your lineage, not your occupation.  She's related to Elizabeth II through the Czech nobility.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 11:38:13 AM »

Marie-Christine was a baroness, daughter of a baron and a countess.  Her mother was the daughter of a count and a princess.  Her maternal grandfather was the last imperial Austrian ambassador to imperial Russia.  Some would say she was an aristocrat even with her "lower middle class upbringing."  In some circles it's about your lineage, not your occupation.  She's related to Elizabeth II through the Czech nobility.

Barons were ten a penny in Austria/Czechoslovakia. Very different from Britain. Fact is, Marie-Christineís mother was a vulgar snob (I know this).
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 11:41:07 AM »

Youíre needing to ask this on the board whose genesis was dishing on Mary of Denmark? 😹😺🐸🤍🔑🏅
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 04:25:12 PM »

Youíre needing to ask this on the board whose genesis was dishing on Mary of Denmark? 😹😺🐸🤍🔑🏅

Ha! Ha! So true! I remember those days. I had a dial up modem then.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 09:10:00 AM »

Interesting to hear, I indeed assumed she was born and raised in Austria.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 01:11:02 AM »

The earliest documented references to the Reibnitz family are in 1271, when a Hans Rybicz is mentioned, and 1288, when a Heinrich Rybnicz is named.
CurleySharon

Baby Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 03:16:26 PM »

From another thread; Lot of RDers assume that Marie-Therese was brought up in Austria.

Her name is Marie-Christine NOT Marie-Therese, you would think that the self professed experts would get things right.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 03:48:42 PM »

According to her Wiki

"..The parents divorced in 1946; along with her mother and elder brother, Baron Friedrich (Fred) von Reibnitz (1942), Princess Michael moved to Australia where she was educated at Kincoppal School. Marie Christine moved to London to study History of Fine and Decorative Art at the Victoria and Albert Museum..."

"..Her first husband was the English banker Thomas Troubridge (1939Ė2015), younger brother of Sir Peter Troubridge, 6th Baronet. They met at a boar hunt in Germany and were married on 14 September 1971 at Chelsea Old Church, London. The couple separated in 1973 and were civilly divorced in 1977 (the marriage was ecclesiastically annulled by Pope Paul VI in May 1978).

One month after the annulment, on 30 June 1978, at a civil ceremony in Vienna, Austria, she married Prince Michael of Kent, the son of Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902Ė1942) and Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark (1906Ė1968)...."
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 09:47:10 PM »

Her name is Marie-Christine NOT Marie-Therese, you would think that the self professed experts would get things right.
I sincerely hope that was not aimed at Hester.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 11:36:20 AM »

I sincerely hope that was not aimed at Hester.

Itís OK - my mistake. Marie-Christine hadnít been in my head for a decade! Not top-of-mind. I know my facts though. I was still a child but I remember seeing Freddy too drunk to stand at a friendís parentsí house party - he was rolling on the floor. He was a lovely gentle fellow. I have a collation of other memories of his circle and lots of gossip about his horrid mother.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:44:08 AM by Hester » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: