Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How great was Grace Kelly as Princess of Monaco?  (Read 18903 times)
periwinkle

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 04:19:04 PM »

If you are insinuating that Grace was a whore I would advise you that a young single woman can sleep with who she wants and if that is married men then go after the married men. Miss me with old tropes I am over it. People are allowed to be sexual even lady people.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 04:20:00 PM »

My memory of Grace is that she was flawless in her role as First Lady of Monaco and she supported the ballet and literary prizes and charities and did all those rich lady things that didn't really exist there. She was also a very hands on mother and spoke to her children in English and they are the royals who have flawless accents in English (I will add Queen Margrethe and Prince Joachim to the list). She kept American citizenship and an American bank account and an eye on what was happening in the US. There were stories that she wrote checks on the down low to people and orgs who needed the money. She kept up her Hollywood friendships with people like Jimmy Stewart and Gregory Peck but that is a whole different scene than the tacky stuff nowadays. She was grace personified and I think mostly a what you see is what you get person. Very religious too. Her death shocked and saddened everyone. I don't know anyone in the US who calls her anything but Grace Kelly since she was "ours".

You forgot to add that she had affairs with Gary Cooper, William Holden and Ray Milland.....all who were married. After Milland wanted to leave his wife for Grace the press started labeling her a home wrecker.. She also had affairs with Clark Gable and Bing Crosby.

Eh, thatís Hollywood (and the political and sports worlds). Everyone had affairs then and that grand tradition continues - we just know about it sooner than we used to. Also I really hate that people call women home-wreckers when the married men arenít called to task. I think on balance Grace did far more good than ill.

And  Star to Kitty and CoC for a very interesting thread!

ETA - Exactly periwinkle!  Star For you too!
Gemsheal

Medium Member

I make my own memes

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 04:51:29 PM »

Is there a reason why despite all the great things Caroline has done as first lady of Monaco, Grace still made a bigger impact and larger influence and beloved?

Grace had her Oscar/movie stardom, plus her perfect face, a generous heart, and an endearing public personality that she put to good use for Monaco.   
People will always know Grace Kelly, one way or the other (either as a fan of old movies or as a fan of royalty, you'll always see mention of Grace Kelly).   

Caroline, despite being equally beautiful, a gossip column fixture in her youth, and apparently a very effective administrator for Monaco, just never had the same star quality as her mother.   

But she is still interesting to someone of my age who has "followed" her life practically since her birth.  Mostly thanks to gossip and "scandale" in the late 1970's up to the 1990's ...  I don't suppose she is very well known to younger Royal-followers now, as she leads such a quiet life.     

"... luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk roses and with eglantine:
There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,
Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight."

Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chillenout

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 06:10:11 PM »

If you are insinuating that Grace was a whore I would advise you that a young single woman can sleep with who she wants and if that is married men then go after the married men. Miss me with old tropes I am over it. People are allowed to be sexual even lady people.

Married men and women have always been off limits. And I agree going by todayís standards who care how many people you sleep with, but in the 50ís it was a big no no for women to sleep around.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 11:44:52 PM »

Married men and women have always been off limits. And I agree going by todayís standards who care how many people you sleep with, but in the 50ís it was a big no no for women to sleep around.

Then your problem is with Ray Milland, not Grace.

And if you think women didnít sleep around in the 50ís you would be mistaken. Especially in Hollywood.

I think you will find we are fairly open minded here around what consenting adults do.
miliosr

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 12:54:47 AM »

Those who follow the Monaco family, how was Grace as a princess?
You can measure the impact Princess Grace had on Monaco by comparing who chose to attend (or not to attend) Grace and Rainier's wedding and who attended her funeral. Most of the other reigning royal houses sent somewhat minor representatives to the wedding. But Grace's funeral was A-list in the extreme. The heads of the reigning (and non-reigning houses) either attended themselves or sent senior and/or important members of their families to the funeral. It was a who's who of royalty, political figures and movie stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood. In the span of a quarter century, Princess Grace had dragged a small city-state on the Mediterranean out of obscurity to such an extent that now the other royal houses had to contend with it.

Regarding Caroline, I've never thought she's gotten enough credit for holding the principality together following the shocking death of her mother. She was the one who made sure Rainier was looked after when, by all accounts, he entered into a severe depression. She was the one who held the palace together until her father regained his footing. And she was the one who kept her mother's important charitable and cultural work going when it would have been easy to let all of that slide.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 01:03:33 AM by miliosr » Logged
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 03:10:06 AM »

Those who follow the Monaco family, how was Grace as a princess?
You can measure the impact Princess Grace had on Monaco by comparing who chose to attend (or not to attend) Grace and Rainier's wedding and who attended her funeral. Most of the other reigning royal houses sent somewhat minor representatives to the wedding. But Grace's funeral was A-list in the extreme. The heads of the reigning (and non-reigning houses) either attended themselves or sent senior and/or important members of their families to the funeral. It was a who's who of royalty, political figures and movie stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood. In the span of a quarter century, Princess Grace had dragged a small city-state on the Mediterranean out of obscurity to such an extent that now the other royal houses had to contend with it.

Regarding Caroline, I've never thought she's gotten enough credit for holding the principality together following the shocking death of her mother. She was the one who made sure Rainier was looked after when, by all accounts, he entered into a severe depression. She was the one who held the palace together until her father regained his footing. And she was the one who kept her mother's important charitable and cultural work going when it would have been easy to let all of that slide.
She did so much in those 25 years. Her impact was immense and she was such a great princess that only Diana surpasses her in that area. I am amazed by her impact in Monaco and how she really influenced many other royal princesses to come. I agree Caroline doesn't get enough credit but I will say by all accounts Grace was very friendly, kind, smiling to the adoring public and warm hearted even in public as opposed to Caroline who is kind of cold which people may not warm up to.
CurleySharon
Banned
Muted
Baby Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 05:57:14 PM »

And if you think women didnít sleep around in the 50ís you would be mistaken. Especially in Hollywood.

I think you will find we are fairly open minded here around what consenting adults do.

Sleeping around with other women's husbands is not exactly promoted by Catholic doctrine and Grace pretended to be a devout Catholic.
It is interesting the comparison with Diana. Both, IMO, married the prince rather than the man, barely allowing themselves to get to know their future spouses. Both quickly found out that life is not a fairytale. Both had a penchant for other peoples husbands, but IMO, Diana was a better actress.
Why do people also forget that Grace's ancestry was as much German Protestant as Irish Catholic.
Kitty

Warned
Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2021, 09:07:06 PM »

Sleeping around with other women's husbands is not exactly promoted by Catholic doctrine and Grace pretended to be a devout Catholic.
It is interesting the comparison with Diana. Both, IMO, married the prince rather than the man, barely allowing themselves to get to know their future spouses. Both quickly found out that life is not a fairytale. Both had a penchant for other peoples husbands, but IMO, Diana was a better actress.
Why do people also forget that Grace's ancestry was as much German Protestant as Irish Catholic.
I fail to see why this is being brought up? So are we all of a sudden going to act like we can't change from her mistakes? She may have become a devout Catholic and regretted her past okay.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2021, 07:21:58 PM »

Married men and women have always been off limits. And I agree going by today’s standards who care how many people you sleep with, but in the 50’s it was a big no no for women to sleep around.

And if you think women didn’t sleep around in the 50’s you would be mistaken. Especially in Hollywood.

Sleeping with other women’s husbands isn’t promoted by any doctrine I know, but IMO the fault lies more with the husband than with Grace. And I’m not sure what you mean by “pretended to be a devout Catholic”. She was married then and had nothing to pretend about, as far as I know. Do you have information we aren’t privy to about her post marital behavior?

And also:

Diana is OT.
CurleySharon
Banned
Muted
Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 07:40:05 PM »

Sleeping with other womenís husbands isnít promoted by any doctrine I know, but IMO the fault lies more with the husband than with Grace. And Iím not sure what you mean by ďpretended to be a devout CatholicĒ. She was married then and had nothing to pretend about, as far as I know. Do you have information we arenít privy to about her post marital behavior?

And also:

Diana is OT.

tell that to the poster who made the comparison in the first place.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2021, 07:41:59 PM »

Sleeping with other womenís husbands isnít promoted by any doctrine I know, but IMO the fault lies more with the husband than with Grace. And Iím not sure what you mean by ďpretended to be a devout CatholicĒ. She was married then and had nothing to pretend about, as far as I know. Do you have information we arenít privy to about her post marital behavior?

And also:

Diana is OT.

I would say Grace and the married husbands were equally at fault.

And about pretending: Just think about the VI. and X. commandment.

That being said Grace was surely a great Princess and a real Landesmutter, but she certainly wasn't a saint.
CurleySharon
Banned
Muted
Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2021, 07:47:24 PM »

Yes, Princess of Monaco was the role she should have won an Oscar for. JMO.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2021, 08:23:09 PM »

And also:

Diana is OT.

tell that to the poster who made the comparison in the first place.

Itís getting tiresome reading your posts as you are often quite rude towards other posters. So a reminder. We dish on royals here, not each other.
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2021, 08:45:19 PM »

Though Diana is OT, I think this fun fact is relevant. Graceís funeral was Dianaís first big overseas solo event. She asked to attend. Grace had apparently been very kind to her when they met at some other occasion the prior year or thereabouts. It was a somewhat big deal at the time bc the house of Saxe Coburg Gotha (Windsor?) had not been much in touch with the house of Grimaldi publicly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: