Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News and photos of Prince Julian, Duke of Halland  (Read 14374 times)
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2021, 07:22:14 PM »

I actually quite like Estelle as a name - it sounds very regal to me!

IMO it does not when itís pronounced in Swedish. It sounds simply wrong to me - Drottning Estelle. Almost juvenile. I think V&D choose very poorly.

Iíll never get used to it. Nor do I believe Iíll ever truly forgive Victoria and Daniel for the name(s) they chose for the future Queen of Sweden. ďEstelleĒ is a horrible and, IMO, highly inappropriate choice. It sounds terrible in Swedish and Iíll always think they were incredibly selfish for choosing that name. Even if they loved it and wanted to continue the French (Bernadotte) thing, her firstname should never have been Estelle. Urgh. They should have gone with something Swedish sounding.

And to top it off, they named the poor kid after Mosh as well.

anneboleyn

Warned
Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2021, 07:49:34 PM »

How is it pronounced in Swedish? I must be missing something because it sounds exactly the same as the English pronunciation. I looked up a video on YouTube from her christening and it sounds the same to my ears (eh-stel)
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2021, 08:09:51 PM »

I can't remember who said it first, but Estelle makes me think of Joey's chain-smoking agent in Friends, so that's the image I have in my head.  Not exactly regal...

I always have to think of Estelle Getty.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2021, 08:19:29 PM »

I actually quite like Estelle as a name - it sounds very regal to me!

IMO it does not when itís pronounced in Swedish. It sounds simply wrong to me - Drottning Estelle. Almost juvenile. I think V&D choose very poorly.

Iíll never get used to it. Nor do I believe Iíll ever truly forgive Victoria and Daniel for the name(s) they chose for the future Queen of Sweden. ďEstelleĒ is a horrible and, IMO, highly inappropriate choice. It sounds terrible in Swedish and Iíll always think they were incredibly selfish for choosing that name. Even if they loved it and wanted to continue the French (Bernadotte) thing, her firstname should never have been Estelle. Urgh. They should have gone with something Swedish sounding.

And to top it off, they named the poor kid after Mosh as well.

Mary is another name that works well enough in English but doesnít sound very good in neither Danish nor Swedish..
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2021, 08:20:29 PM »

Herman Lindqvist (Swedish historian, and former mentor to Victoria, Madeleine and CP) once said the name Estelle sounds like a night club queen, and I think he was spot on. There is nothing regal or Swedish-sounding about Estelle. Absolutely awful choice of name. 
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2021, 08:22:57 PM »

How is it pronounced in Swedish? I must be missing something because it sounds exactly the same as the English pronunciation. I looked up a video on YouTube from her christening and it sounds the same to my ears (eh-stel)

Itís more how it sounds in connection with other Swedish words. Estelle might sound nice enough and natural in English but it simply does not in Swedish. The same could perhaps be said for Victoria but that flows better, perhaps because it ends with an a. Estelle simply sounds.. not very regal certainly.
Eliza B

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2021, 08:38:24 PM »

Does Sweden have a history of using any given name? Like England? And she could use Ewa or Silvia or Mary? Or would Queen Estelle be the expected?
Lovis

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2021, 08:44:03 PM »

I can't remember who said it first, but Estelle makes me think of Joey's chain-smoking agent in Friends, so that's the image I have in my head.  Not exactly regal...

Same here. It's so sad. No
anneboleyn

Warned
Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2021, 09:02:52 PM »

Itís more how it sounds in connection with other Swedish words. Estelle might sound nice enough and natural in English but it simply does not in Swedish. The same could perhaps be said for Victoria but that flows better, perhaps because it ends with an a. Estelle simply sounds.. not very regal certainly.

Ohhhh, I see what you mean now. Thanks! That's unfortunate. I'm such a name nerd that I would triple check to make sure the name flowed properly for all stages of the child's life!
Paulina

Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2021, 09:45:57 PM »

I like the name Julian in English, with the "J" sound. But Yul-ian does sound odd and not typically Nordic. I remember playing water polo in college (it was a club sport then) and we had a girl from the Netherlands. She said her name and all I heard was "You Ditz." I thought that was so odd, and it took me a while to realize she was pronouncing her name in her own language (why not, of course) and it must have been the Dutch version of Judith. I'm sure she didn't realize how the pronunciation sounded to American ears!
genegal43

Huge Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2021, 09:50:34 PM »

I always have to think of Estelle Getty.

Me too, Wise crackin' Sophia!

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2021, 10:01:34 PM »

There are many names that sound lovely in one language and very strange to offensive in yet another. It has become a fashion to use "international names" so that you can have your name pronounced correctly in the western world (aka US), but to be fair that leaves a lot of really wonderful and traditional names out in the dust, and that's a shame.
And for some unfair reasons it mostly applies to names that don't sound just as nice to an english-speaking audience.
I think you should choose a name that you like, that has a meaning to you and that can carry your child thru his/her life. I don't particularly like the new fashion of using things, places or animals, and I think if you go for a quirky name, why not give your child a normal one and use the quirky as a nickname. E.g. I know a girl who is called Chi-Chi (not chinese!) it is a cute petname, but eventually if the girl considers this too whimsical and not serious enough for an adult, she can resort to her actual given name of Christina.
I don't mind Estelle, but to be fair, even though I know quite a bit of Sweden, I can't really say, if this is a name that sounds way too funny to swedish ears.
As to Julian, it is a dime a dozen around here....

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2021, 10:02:39 PM »

Or Joachim.  In English it's Joe-(h)kim, barely three syllables (or very similar), but in Northern European languages (non-English) it's Yo-ah-keem, right?  

Hey, Julian's not bad.  They could've used Julius instead!
anneboleyn

Warned
Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2021, 11:32:54 PM »

I like the name Julian in English, with the "J" sound. But Yul-ian does sound odd and not typically Nordic.

Agreed - Yul-ian sounds Spanish.
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2021, 01:29:51 AM »

Or Joachim.  In English it's Joe-(h)kim, barely three syllables (or very similar), but in Northern European languages (non-English) it's Yo-ah-keem, right?  

Hey, Julian's not bad.  They could've used Julius instead!

Julius would sound more Scandinavian..
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: