Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News and photos of Prince Julian, Duke of Halland  (Read 14382 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2021, 09:20:15 AM »

I like the name Julian in English, with the "J" sound. But Yul-ian does sound odd and not typically Nordic. I remember playing water polo in college (it was a club sport then) and we had a girl from the Netherlands. She said her name and all I heard was "You Ditz." I thought that was so odd, and it took me a while to realize she was pronouncing her name in her own language (why not, of course) and it must have been the Dutch version of Judith. I'm sure she didn't realize how the pronunciation sounded to American ears!

This made me laugh, because as soon as I read your "You Ditz" I immediately had to think of Judith Laugh bounce Perhaps because I am Dutch myself.  Wink

In contacts with Dutch people and of Dutch origin abroad, I often hear comic stories about 'Dutch' names and differences in the pronunciation of names. For example, some names are difficult to pronounce for people who do not speak Dutch. We also have first and last names that can be hilarious in other languages. For example Dick, the surname Kok / Cock / De Cock / etc and the great Frisian name Fokje Modder. But I think this is true for several languages  Wink

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2021, 09:48:36 AM »

Chloe is another a difficult name for germanic ears: Klo is the wide-spread accepted word for toilet (klo coming from watercloset) and so Chloe sounds like Klo, eh?

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Maxiqueen

Baby Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2021, 09:56:35 AM »

I can't remember who said it first, but Estelle makes me think of Joey's chain-smoking agent in Friends, so that's the image I have in my head.  Not exactly regal...

same here when I hear that name I always recall that image Grin
I think parents can name kids as they want and I can tell you I  found some Kevin and Maicol (written this way) with no foreign origin.... but if it happens you  are choosing the name for a heir to the throne ... well maybe you shoud think a bit more about it..... all the other future queens in Europe have appropriate names like Ingrid Alexandra, Elizabeth, Catharina Amalia and Leonor ... Estelle in comparison sounds a bit "cheap" in my opinion.... it could have been used as a middle name, after all in royal families they normally have 3 or 4 names so an Estelle would match with a Mary.....
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2021, 10:08:18 AM »

Chloe is another a difficult name for germanic ears: Klo is the wide-spread accepted word for toilet (klo coming from watercloset) and so Chloe sounds like Klo, eh?

Laughing
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2021, 10:12:24 AM »

I can't remember who said it first, but Estelle makes me think of Joey's chain-smoking agent in Friends, so that's the image I have in my head.  Not exactly regal...

same here when I hear that name I always recall that image Grin
I think parents can name kids as they want and I can tell you I  found some Kevin and Maicol (written this way) with no foreign origin.... but if it happens you  are choosing the name for a heir to the throne ... well maybe you shoud think a bit more about it..... all the other future queens in Europe have appropriate names like Ingrid Alexandra, Elizabeth, Catharina Amalia and Leonor ... Estelle in comparison sounds a bit "cheap" in my opinion.... it could have been used as a middle name, after all in royal families they normally have 3 or 4 names so an Estelle would match with a Mary.....

I must confess that when I first heard the name of the (then in 2003) new Dutch princess I thought I heard Catharina-Analia.  Blush A totally different meaning Wink She may be officially called Catharina-Amalia, but currently she is known everywhere as Amalia.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2021, 11:18:55 PM »

What's in a name?             
http://www.royalcentral.c...lian-herbert-folke-157723
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2021, 11:38:59 AM »

"Life gave me not just one but four beautiful princes.

A heartfelt thank you from us all for all the warm congratulations on the birth of Julian."

Eliza B

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2021, 12:49:16 PM »

Awe Alex reminds me of my 1st when we brought home my 2nd. Just completely in love with the baby and always wanting to be at their side. Gab seems to be more in the curious stage trying to figure out this little one.

But the 4 little princes comment, a bit too cheesy for me. But it's hard to hit those saccharine notes just right.
anneboleyn

Warned
Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2021, 04:34:29 PM »

Awe Alex reminds me of my 1st when we brought home my 2nd. Just completely in love with the baby and always wanting to be at their side. Gab seems to be more in the curious stage trying to figure out this little one.

But the 4 little princes comment, a bit too cheesy for me. But it's hard to hit those saccharine notes just right.

These are such cute photos, they look like two besotted brothers!

I agree about the prince comment, I found it a bit cringe.
periwinkle

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2021, 04:41:42 PM »

Lovely picture of the three brothers and their father. Cheesy is right on the comment but they are a happy little family so let's hope that means Sofia is calming down and moving with open arms into the open chaos phase of family life. With the third one you are outnumbered but you look back on this phase with a lot of wistfulness as they get older and move out.
PruNordstrom

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2021, 02:49:42 AM »

Does Sweden have a history of using any given name? Like England? And she could use Ewa or Silvia or Mary? Or would Queen Estelle be the expected?

Was wondering about this too. Can Estelle choose any name as Queen?

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve. ~JWheeler
Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2021, 04:21:59 AM »

Does Sweden have a history of using any given name? Like England? And she could use Ewa or Silvia or Mary? Or would Queen Estelle be the expected?

Was wondering about this too. Can Estelle choose any name as Queen?

I believe so.  I was looking at the wiki page for Swedish Monarchs (https://en.wikipedia.org/.../List_of_Swedish_monarchs) and noticed that...

Gustaf VI Adolf was christened Oscar Fredrik Wilhelm Olaf Gustaf Adolf

Gustaf V was christened Oscar Gustaf Adolf

Personally I doubt she will as by the time she becomes Queen, provided CG and Victoria enjoy nice long lives, Estelle could easily be in her 60s and people may just not care that her name isn't a very regal choice and/or think it odd that she'd suddenly go by something else.

RainbowUnicorn68

Baby Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2021, 09:03:42 AM »

Lovely pictures of a father and his sons.

Clover

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2021, 07:02:42 AM »

Yes, Stephanie bagged four Princes - not bad!  Beer

Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2021, 03:06:01 PM »

Yes, Stephanie bagged four Princes - not bad!  Beer

Confused