Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Philip  (Read 54175 times)
onar

Humongous Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: April 12, 2021, 09:44:54 PM »

That's a lovely story about Philip's childhood!
Thank you Lady Mellie!  Star

I can't believe that sweet boy is now gone.
I'm always thinking of that, when someone dies and later on I see childhood's pics. It's very strange feeling.

Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: April 12, 2021, 09:56:58 PM »

that is right - second cousins, both great grandsons of George I of Greece - they were also  both descended from Queen Victoria  (? 3rd cousins)

Greek first cousins once removed --Philip and Michael's mother were first cousins. 

Victoria > Victoria > Sophie > Helen > Michael
Victoria > Alice > Victoria > Alice > Philip

George I > Constantine > Helen > Michael
George I > Andrew > Philip

More ways through the Russians
LittleThunder

Gigantic Member

France France

Forever my Queen.

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: April 12, 2021, 10:08:56 PM »

There are many vids paying tribute to PP on The Royal Family Channel on YouTube, the reactions of his children are posted in good quality videos.

"Windsor Household Cavalry Salute Prince Philip Opposite Windsor Castle"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xovUuAR3OPE

ETA : The Prince Philip speaks French : (at 1'40") It's about carriage driving.  Smiley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mPocT8gLXo
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:41:43 PM by LittleThunder, Reason: adding a link » Logged

periwinkle

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: April 12, 2021, 11:07:11 PM »

I have no idea how to post photos but my favorite picture is the one of him in a greek costume. I think it has a name but it definitely has a significance because the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldier in front of the old palace in Athens wear it.
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: April 12, 2021, 11:39:49 PM »

Would it be this one?

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.       Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: April 13, 2021, 12:05:29 AM »

Evzones uniform, based on 18th century traditional/folk outfits. 
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: April 13, 2021, 12:46:50 AM »

An explanation of who Prince Philip's sisters married   
http://www.tatler.com/art...e-philip-german-relatives
periwinkle

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: April 13, 2021, 01:41:29 AM »

That's the one thank you Lady L. He is so stoic and regal here. A kid in a costume for a country he would never see again (except for his WWII battle near Crete) but somehow knew to step into the importance of the outfit.
Gemsheal

Medium Member

Classic stink eye

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: April 13, 2021, 02:02:00 AM »

Prince Philip will be missed. Princes Henrik, Claus, and Bernhard are throwing him a big party right now.
I like to imagine that he has been greeted by king Mihai of Romania  Smiley Both were born in 1921 and were related (2nd cousins if I'm not wrong).

Here in Romania :
with George II of Romania.

Other pictures (you have to scroll a little) :
https://www.romaniaregala...-familie-romano-britanic/

And guess where did Mihai meet his wife? In London, the wedding of Elizabeth and Philip.

Wonderful photos.  I had seen the one of the boys on horseback but not the others. 

"... luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk roses and with eglantine:
There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,
Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight."

Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: April 13, 2021, 02:10:41 AM »

Is there a good link or thread in this forum or article to help untangle his royal relatives/connections and explain what it means to be a prince of Greece and Denmark and if the Danes today are princes of Greece, etc? 

I found the pictures and story of him and Mihai so intriguing!
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: April 13, 2021, 03:22:13 AM »

Is there a good link or thread in this forum or article to help untangle his royal relatives/connections and explain what it means to be a prince of Greece and Denmark and if the Danes today are princes of Greece, etc? 

it's wiki but it's a start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_royal_family : As male-line descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark, members of the dynasty bear the title of Prince or Princess of Denmark and thus are traditionally referred to as "Princes" or "Princesses of Greece and Denmark".

emtishell

Large Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: April 13, 2021, 03:25:59 AM »

it's wiki but it's a start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_royal_family : As male-line descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark, members of the dynasty bear the title of Prince or Princess of Denmark and thus are traditionally referred to as "Princes" or "Princesses of Greece and Denmark".

But no, it doesn't work the other way - so Fred and Jokke are not "of Greece and Denmark", only Denmark.
lilyrose

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: April 13, 2021, 03:29:32 AM »

The current Greek royal family descends from a second son of King Christian XI of Denmark, born Prince Vilhelm of Denmark, he changed his name and became King George of Greece. This is where most of the connections come from--among George's siblings were Queen Alexandra of the UK, Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia and of course his older brother Frederick VIII of Denmark. George chose to remain a Danish prince when he accepted the throne of Greece, however, so his descendants are entitled to call themselves Princes and Princesses of both Greece and of Denmark.

I'm not sure why Haakon VII decided to drop the Danish titles when he became king, while the Greeks kept theirs though.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: April 13, 2021, 08:53:40 AM »

The current Greek royal family descends from a second son of King Christian XI of Denmark, born Prince Vilhelm of Denmark, he changed his name and became King George of Greece. This is where most of the connections come from--among George's siblings were Queen Alexandra of the UK, Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia and of course his older brother Frederick VIII of Denmark. George chose to remain a Danish prince when he accepted the throne of Greece, however, so his descendants are entitled to call themselves Princes and Princesses of both Greece and of Denmark.

I'm not sure why Haakon VII decided to drop the Danish titles when he became king, while the Greeks kept theirs though.

I guess, because Norway had already been part of Denmark once and wasn't an independent country. Therefore he dropped his titles.
luvcharles

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: April 13, 2021, 09:08:00 AM »

I had a thought:

When The Queen Mother died her grandsons all stood vigil for an hour around her coffin while it was lying in state.

Now I know Philip isn't lying in state - at least not for the public to pay their respects but I wonder whether his children and grandsons may not still have the chance to do that? They wouldn't need to get more than 2 metres to each other and could wear masks but would it be possible under the UK's covid rules???
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: