Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funeral of HRH The Prince Phillip Duke of Edinburgh  (Read 21091 times)
Gemsheal

Medium Member

United States United States

Classic stink eye

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2021, 02:27:19 AM »

All right, Eternal Father Strong To Save.  Iím in pieces now.

Did this song make anyone else think of the movie Titanic? 🤭 It was the first time I heard it. This choir did a beautiful job.

Not me.  A friend of mine was the first female graduate of the US Naval Academy to die in the line of duty.  Her funeral at Annapolis was wrecking but we sang this.  I grew up in a Navy family so I considered it disrespectful (rising to the level of Stolen Valor) for the movie to use it.  Anything for a buck, eh Cameron?  

It's quite an old hymn, and it was actually sung at the Sunday morning church service aboard the Titanic, per survivors.  So Cameron, far from seeking a buck, was just being historically accurate.

I fully realize that.  I still think it was vulgar and cheap of Cameron.  My family has served since the War of 1812, and hearing Winslet, who I otherwise like, warble her way through something I consider genuinely sacred is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I agree Curtains. Cameron knew that more than one historical inaccuracy was in the movie, but decided to just let it be, so it isnít hard to believe that he would disrespect a navy song. Personally I hated that ďthrow a huge piece of blue plastic jewelry that looked like a cheap knockoff of the Hope DiamondĒ into the oceanĒ ending.

https://www.businessinsid...istakes-in-titanic-2012-3

Anyway, to get back on topic, what a horribly difficult day for this family and I wish them peace and healing.

I'm sorry for OT in this topic but given your feelings about that movie, you guys will maybe appreciate this
https://youtu.be/YSEzSDdL128

"... luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk roses and with eglantine:
There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,
Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight."

Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2021, 02:34:24 AM »

Thanks Gems. It wouldnít play for me, but I assume itís about Cameronís general jerkiness?
periwinkle

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: April 18, 2021, 02:52:36 AM »

Everyone where are the best photographs of the day? Are they available now or will be later? Thanks. Haven't seen much but also just got back from a busy day.
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: April 18, 2021, 03:22:29 AM »

Thanks Gems. It wouldnít play for me, but I assume itís about Cameronís general jerkiness?
30 years ago, when on a cruise in the Med, they sang that hymn at every church service on the ship.
Booklover

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: April 18, 2021, 04:01:14 AM »

Oh gosh, they all look so heartbroken and the Dean's words are very touching

I was in tears the whole time.  Such a moving tribute to a great man.
Booklover

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: April 18, 2021, 04:04:11 AM »

Very quietly the family moves in, that was done well.

Who is in the car with the Queen?

A lady in waiting.

Booklover

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2021, 04:14:00 AM »

Whereís the crying emoji when you need it?Huh?

I had two close to me pass away yesterday. I canít handle this.
[/quotre]

How terrible for you, so sorry for your loss.
Gemsheal

Medium Member

Classic stink eye

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: April 18, 2021, 04:16:07 AM »

Oh fudge.  Yes, just a humorous look at everything wrong with that movie in 9 minutes. 

"... luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk roses and with eglantine:
There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,
Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight."

Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Rita

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: April 18, 2021, 04:18:32 AM »

That was moving service, i had tears on my eyes the whole day..
Charles broke my heart
But The Queen pic setting alone finished me..

Goodbye Prince Philipp my you rest in peace.

Booklover

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2021, 04:23:54 AM »

That was moving service, i had tears on my eyes the whole day..
Charles broke my heart
But The Queen pic setting alone finished me..

Goodbye Prince Philipp my you rest in peace.

Yes, Good Bye Your Royal Highness. You have earned your rest. God bless.
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2021, 04:33:40 AM »

I watched the highlights this evening. The music and the service was SUPERB; it makes my evil Papist self consider becoming Episcopalian. Wink

I saw Edward have his hand to his head for a few, and a point where Sophie too struggled with her composure. It had to be hard on the kids to have the casket right in front of them.

Andrew's face, when the cameras briefly went his way, was rigidly held. I saw Bea looking devastated and blank. I didn't get a good view of Eug, but she was stock-still in the shot I did see.

There was a shot of William where I saw his eyes over his mask, swamped with grief over the loss. There is a picture of Catherine, the epitome of beauty, grace, and class, while being demure, grieving, and respectful. She's finally grown up, and grown into her role next to William. I never thought I'd see the day.

It was the first time I considered the Queen to move in a frail manner. I know she's 94, but she's always had a sprightly step. She was missing her spark today for obvious reasons. Will it return?

I know how old Charles is, but today was the first time I thought he stood as an old man - and I mean his posture, an elderly man's stance. Sensitive Charles, struggling with his public face. I also saw his expression at several points - he looked lost, bereft, sorrowful. Camilla was his strength.

Anne, widely considered Philip's favorite child, was pretty good at controlling herself, but her eyes told it all - she's heartbroken. On the walk to the church you could see her face sort of crumple here and there.

I saw a lot of ladies' heads down, doubtless grateful that their hats and masks hid their emotions.

And being part Scots, I too wept at the bagpipes. They just strike deep for a Celtic soul.

The weird blanket of Covid gave a surreal cast to everything. The distance, the silence, the masks taking the place of the ancient tradition of veiling; but instead of just the women, it applied to everyone. I can't help but think that the masks gave everyone the illusion that they could hide their emotions under them.

The music was personal, meaningful, and otherworldly in that wonderful, historic, ancient church. And really, I would love to see funerals or services of the future be just as serene and muted as that done today, instead of the circuses they tend to become nowadays.

The SkyNews highlights caught the commentary that Philips string of titles were to be recited for the last time before he comes to God as an ordinary soul. I really liked that statement.

God give you rest, sir. Thank you for your lifetime of service.

luvcharles

Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2021, 04:43:15 AM »

Lady Alice that was beautifully said. Star Star

I spent all night in tears (service was at midnight here) and my furbaby kept me company. While he was doing that I almost wish the Queen could have had her furbabies with her in the church but am sure they are a great comfort to her when the family leave and she really is alone.
anneboleyn

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2021, 05:18:14 AM »

Lady Alice, that was so poignant.
Curtains

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: April 18, 2021, 05:49:44 AM »

Although I know that the funeral rites were altered to fit this time in history and some princeling tantrums, this also seems to be an inadvertently wonderful blueprint for future Royal funerals:

1.  Limited attendance.  Remarkable blend of family, history, Royal life, and respect.  Instead of being overwhelmed with "where do we fit the shirt-tail relatives and camera-hungry politicos in this only-semi-large church", it become about the closeness of near-and-dear, balanced with public participation in a controlled manner.  It is also in keeping with the future with a slimmed-down monarchy;

2. Security can be much tighter and frankly at a lower cost.  Everything inside Windsor means millions aren't spent on lengthy corteges which were more appropriate for times when there were no or limited "live" coverage available for the public.

3.  All are equal in terms of dress code.  No more mishmash of this uniform, that uniform, the other uniform worn by various Royals. To be honest, it's always looked like Nutcracker cos-play to me.  The military uniforms are worn by non-Royal current military members, acting in their professional capacity; family members in suits/day dress.

4.  Dignified.  

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: April 18, 2021, 06:04:26 AM »

Although I know that the funeral rites were altered to fit this time in history and some princeling tantrums, this also seems to be an inadvertently wonderful blueprint for future Royal funerals:

1.  Limited attendance.  Remarkable blend of family, history, Royal life, and respect.  Instead of being overwhelmed with "where do we fit the shirt-tail relatives and camera-hungry politicos in this only-semi-large church", it become about the closeness of near-and-dear, balanced with public participation in a controlled manner.  It is also in keeping with the future with a slimmed-down monarchy;

2. Security can be much tighter and frankly at a lower cost.  Everything inside Windsor means millions aren't spent on lengthy corteges which were more appropriate for times when there were no or limited "live" coverage available for the public.

3.  All are equal in terms of dress code.  No more mishmash of this uniform, that uniform, the other uniform worn by various Royals. To be honest, it's always looked like Nutcracker cos-play to me.  The military uniforms are worn by non-Royal current military members, acting in their professional capacity; family members in suits/day dress.

4.  Dignified.  

They could take the opportunity to modify weddings as well, so that politicians and celebrities aren't invited ...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: