Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funeral of HRH The Prince Phillip Duke of Edinburgh  (Read 23394 times)
Lovis

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: April 20, 2021, 04:58:00 PM »

Didn't he specifically call her "mon chou" since it is the French who use that term of endearment? At any rate it is fun to hear about the pet names and nicknames. Did anyone ever call her Lily? What's the origin of Lilibet because it's interesting how Elizabeth became Lilibet which sounds like a name an older but still young sibling would give her out of a mispronouncement. Otherwise Lily or Beth or Liz would be more common.

You'd be surprised by the amount of nicknames you can get out of a name. Elizabeth alone you can have Liz, Lizzie, Beth, Betty, Eliza, Libby, Lilibet, Liza...

And it's interesting how some nicknames come out of names you'd never expect. It's easy to see how Charlie comes from Charles but Peggy from Margaret? Names are so fascinating!

Billy and William. Or Dick and Richard. Thinking 
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: April 20, 2021, 05:09:02 PM »

It's sad for her, and we feel for her, but what she experiences now is not different to what other people do too.
Losing someone you love is always so very hard.
Yes, nobody will call her "mon chou" anymore, or kiss her good night like a lover did, but that happened to my grandmothers just as well, it is so heartbreakingly normal. And it is also normal that with each loved one gone, shared moments are gone as well, at her age, she is not the only one who is the last of her generation in her family - one is usually the last one.
But she had more than a lifetime with him, more memories than many other people are granted. I think she has a lot to be grateful for...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Lovis

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: April 20, 2021, 05:16:28 PM »

It's sad for her, and we feel for her, but what she experiences now is not different to what other people do too.
Losing someone you love is always so very hard.
Yes, nobody will call her "mon chou" anymore, or kiss her good night like a lover did, but that happened to my grandmothers just as well, it is so heartbreakingly normal. And it is also normal that with each loved one gone, shared moments are gone as well, at her age, she is not the only one who is the last of her generation in her family - one is usually the last one.
But she had more than a lifetime with him, more memories than many other people are granted. I think she has a lot to be grateful for...

You are right, and I'm sure she is. Smiley
anneboleyn

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: April 20, 2021, 05:29:24 PM »

That's what I liked about the funeral. Yes it was sad that due to restrictions, Philip wasn't given the full funeral he deserved, but I think the scaled down funeral actually made them more human and relatable. They have to follow guidelines just like everyone else, and somehow seeing their emotion and grief made people realize that they love and lose just like the rest of us.
Ghost

Medium Member

Romania Romania

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: April 20, 2021, 05:42:32 PM »

Didn't he specifically call her "mon chou" since it is the French who use that term of endearment? At any rate it is fun to hear about the pet names and nicknames. Did anyone ever call her Lily? What's the origin of Lilibet because it's interesting how Elizabeth became Lilibet which sounds like a name an older but still young sibling would give her out of a mispronouncement. Otherwise Lily or Beth or Liz would be more common.

When Margaret was a very little girl, she couldn’t say Elizabeth, it was coming out as Lilibet and it stuck. Remember the letters she was writting to her grandmother signed Lilibet?

And Elizabeth was calling Margaret Rose - Rosebud.
thecrownjewelthief

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: April 20, 2021, 07:58:09 PM »

That's what I liked about the funeral. Yes it was sad that due to restrictions, Philip wasn't given the full funeral he deserved, but I think the scaled down funeral actually made them more human and relatable. They have to follow guidelines just like everyone else, and somehow seeing their emotion and grief made people realize that they love and lose just like the rest of us.

I feel like the stripped down funeral was a real PR win, even if it only looked the way it did because of covid. It put the focus on the family in a way that a state funeral wouldn't have done, while still keeping elements of tradition that make the BRF royal. It also felt historical to me the same way that HM had to save ration coupons for her wedding dress and how her parents toured bombed out parts of London - reinforces that she is with her subjects in hard times too.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: April 20, 2021, 09:13:28 PM »

It would be "ma choue," because feminine.  Chou/e means cabbage.

I don’t think “ma choue” is a thing! 😹 Chou is a masculine word in French...
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: April 20, 2021, 10:51:10 PM »

Harry from Henry?
Mariola

Mini Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: April 20, 2021, 11:24:02 PM »

Harry from Henry?

The strangest of all for me is Haz/Hazza (from Harry), Daz (from Darren), Tel (from Terence) ..... does anybody know why this happens?
anneboleyn

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: April 21, 2021, 03:09:19 AM »

I feel like the stripped down funeral was a real PR win, even if it only looked the way it did because of covid. It put the focus on the family in a way that a state funeral wouldn't have done, while still keeping elements of tradition that make the BRF royal. It also felt historical to me the same way that HM had to save ration coupons for her wedding dress and how her parents toured bombed out parts of London - reinforces that she is with her subjects in hard times too.

Well put!
emtishell

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: April 21, 2021, 06:49:37 AM »

Harry from Henry?

The strangest of all for me is Haz/Hazza (from Harry), Daz (from Darren), Tel (from Terence) ..... does anybody know why this happens?

It's very Australian to add the "zz" to names - Hazza, Dazza, Bazza, Shazza. I have no idea why!!!

I've never heard of Tel for Terence though (Terry, yes).
emtishell

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: April 21, 2021, 06:54:16 AM »

Harry from Henry?

Henry VIII was known as Hal. And the two American Henrys I know are Hank.

My great aunt was Marjorie Eleanor, but was known as Molly.

And I'm sure there has been a discussion somewhere else about (Katie) Scarlett O'hara's sisters in Gone with the Wind - Susan Elinor ("Suellen") and Caroline Irene ("Carreen").
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: April 21, 2021, 12:02:22 PM »

There was a service in memory of Philip, in New Zealand. It sounded lovely!

https://www.dailymail.co....ervice-Prince-Philip.html

New Zealand Governor General describes the Duke of Edinburgh as one of the 'unchanging stars of the sky' in a memorial service

New Zealand has farewelled Prince Philip in a reverential memorial service at Wellington Cathedral of St Paul.

Around 500 people attended a service rich in pomp, song and prayer on Wednesday in a cathedral adorned with British and Kiwi insignia.
Governor General Dame Patsy Reddy gave the tribute, saying he was a bedrock of the monarchy.

'His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, was a loyal companion and beloved support to Her Majesty the Queen for more than 70 years,' Dame Reddy said.

'For many of us, he has, like the Queen, always been there.

'We could perhaps be forgiven for seeing him as one of the unchanging stars in our sky.'

The venue was a fitting one: the Queen laid the foundation stone to the cathedral in 1954, and the couple visited three times more on official visits, most recently on their final trip to 2002.

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
LittleThunder

Gigantic Member

France France

Forever my Queen.

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: April 21, 2021, 02:08:54 PM »

https://twitter.com/Royal...84824648693604356/photo/1
The Queen’s message to people across the world who have sent tributes and messages of condolence following the death of The Duke of Edinburgh.
1:01 PM · 21 avr. 2021

Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

The Memorial Wall along the Southbank in London

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: April 21, 2021, 07:44:04 PM »

Military bands play music including ‘I Vow to Thee My Country’ ..
https://twitter.com/i/status/1383422342831869966

The Book Fairies are joining judges and contributors to the #HoldStill2020 project to mark the release of the beautiful book! We are leaving copies at places that gave us hope during lockdowns. #HSBookFairies #ibelieveinbookfairies
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: