Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funeral of HRH The Prince Phillip Duke of Edinburgh  (Read 21025 times)
A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: April 17, 2021, 05:59:01 PM »

Charles crying Cry

His face appeared very, very red compared to everyone elseís.

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: April 17, 2021, 06:02:03 PM »

I think they were bowing to the cross on the altar, which is what Episcopalians/Anglicans usually do when crossing in front of it.

That was a beautiful service.  I was so impressed by the breadth of the musical selections. I thought "Oh, Jupiter!  I played this in high school, how nice to include it!" forgetting that it was the musical setting for I Vow to Thee My Country (also Diana's favourite).

I cried, sniffled, blew my nose.  I can't wait for the Service of Thanksgiving.
periwinkle

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: April 17, 2021, 06:06:54 PM »

Now that I can see the card in a still it says In Loving Memory. Look at the short first word and the Y and G ending the other words. No Lilibet. That is projection understandable but not actual.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: April 17, 2021, 06:08:28 PM »

Is there any significance to the silver chains Charles, Andrew, and Edward wore across their morning coats (almost like a pocket watch chain)?  William and Harry didn't wear any.
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: April 17, 2021, 06:11:10 PM »

All right, Eternal Father Strong To Save.  Iím in pieces now.

Did this song make anyone else think of the movie Titanic? 🤭 It was the first time I heard it. This choir did a beautiful job.

Not me.  A friend of mine was the first female graduate of the US Naval Academy to die in the line of duty.  Her funeral at Annapolis was wrecking but we sang this.  I grew up in a Navy family so I considered it disrespectful (rising to the level of Stolen Valor) for the movie to use it.  Anything for a buck, eh Cameron?  

I am so sorry for your loss. In light of your post, I agree that it seems disrespectful for the movie to use it.

IIRC Eternal Father was sung on Titanic as part of the religious services. The hymn is known to be synonymous with the sea and the Navy. I think the use of the hymn in the film was one brief moment of historical accuracy, though ofc the words were utilised for dramatic effect in the film.

Utterly beautiful service, I'm heartbroken. My auntie, who is also my Godmother, passed away suddenly on Thursday. I'm feeling a lot of emotions right now, but the funeral service, Philip's choice of readings and music was comforting to me, and I'm sure that was an intention of him for his family too.

Seeing the Queen so alone like that was heartbreaking. She looked so frail, so broken. But she carried that refined dignity that is synonymous with her and Philip's persona and philosophy.

The service was filmed in a very dignified manner, cutting away at the most emotional moments to allow the family to grieve in private. Kate was very moved too during the service, I noticed, as well as Charles, Sophie and others.

The walk after the service reminded us all that they are still a family, despite their status and titles. It was nice to see Earl Snowden comfort Peter Philips, and the family talk among themselves. They seemed to have sighed a breath and relax after they left the Chapel, as we all do after funeral services.

I so hope in the future that the Queen, her children and grandchildren are supported and support one another.

Iím sorry for your loss. Agreed that watching the Dukes service was comforting. Hugs.
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2021, 06:14:57 PM »

Can you imagine how surreal it must be for the queen?

They had a good, long run.

I love the picture they shared that Sophie took at balmoral, such natural smiles.

12 years ago in two weeks, I buried my husband. It was surreal.

Iím so sorry...❤️

Hug

I love that a number of Dishers, like you, are here from the early days. This board is a wonderful community.
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2021, 06:16:12 PM »

It seems a lot of us have lost so much in the last year. This is a punch in the gut for some reason, just seeing the photos. Knowing all we have permanently lost as of last year, and the fact is we as humans cannot properly grieve or send off our loved ones which helps with the grief and closure - so it sits like an open wound salt rubbed into it every day.

Hug my lovely disher family, I do care deeply for you all

Sending love to all the Dishers who have had their own personal grief and losses amplified by the loss of Prince Philip.  Funerals for others, even if we didn't know them personally, always stir up that latent grief that never goes away...just gets a little more hidden as the time goes on.  And especially sending my love to those of you who have recently lost dear ones and have had your grieving traditions dictated and curtailed by Covid.

Hug

Beautifully said, Cordelia and Ellie.
lilyrose

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2021, 06:24:59 PM »

Sorry if OT, but nice to see the brothers walking and talking together

I...kind of donít think they are.  I think Harry is speaking to Catherine & vice versa.  I think William is doing the endless adjusting of his attire, as he did one time before (adjusting his scarf endlessly to avoid another conversation).

We'll find out for sure from Good Morning America at some point, including details of what  Snare they spoke about.  

Did anyone else notice how when leaving the chapel, Harry just walked past the altar and didn't even glance at the orders placed there, or bow his head.  His aunt Anne who was directly in front of him, did so.  I saw that William did, too.  It was a tasteful, not to mention respectful, gesture I thought.

He did. He and Tim did it at the same time.
anneboleyn

Warned
Small Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2021, 06:30:26 PM »

Everyone bowed their head in the beginning. Once Beatrice emerged, no one after her bowed their head.
hrhpita

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2021, 06:31:54 PM »

Sorry if OT, but nice to see the brothers walking and talking together

I...kind of donít think they are.  I think Harry is speaking to Catherine & vice versa.  I think William is doing the endless adjusting of his attire, as he did one time before (adjusting his scarf endlessly to avoid another conversation).

We'll find out for sure from Good Morning America at some point, including details of what  Snare they spoke about.  

Did anyone else notice how when leaving the chapel, Harry just walked past the altar and didn't even glance at the orders placed there, or bow his head.  His aunt Anne who was directly in front of him, did so.  I saw that William did, too.  It was a tasteful, not to mention respectful, gesture I thought.

It looked to me that Harry bowed his head around the same time Anne & Tim did.  

Gemsheal

Medium Member

Classic stink eye

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2021, 06:44:05 PM »

I stand corrected -went back and watched BBC coverage of the exit and Harry did bow his head at the altar.   Very nice.

"... luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk roses and with eglantine:
There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,
Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight."

Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Lady Liebe

Gigantic Member

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: April 17, 2021, 06:56:02 PM »

I had ABC on the television and the BBC live feed on the computer. When the service began I pulled up the Order of Service to follow along. Scooby Doo was one of the commentators boo hiss  Real mad- but was not given a chance to speak much.

I tried not to look when they focused on the family during the service. They were hurting. The Queen sitting alone - so vey sad.

I did well until they brought the casket out - I teared up then - but made it through until the Navy Hymn and then the Piper playing the Lament.

I thought that on the whole it was extremely well done - the choir, voices soaring, along with the buglers arching through that vast space. Spectacular. The Piper slowing turning and marching out as the Lament is played. So well done.

PP planned this beautifully and with great dignity.

The optics - military massed outside - just the immediate family inside, stunning. Then all the soldiers, sailors, marines and military knights melt away and all is empty and quiet as the family departs.

I wonder if there was a more personal message on the back of the card tucked into the flowers.

I've never been one for long or multiple eulogies, but then I side eye long obit notices in the paper too, so I didn't miss a eulogy. It is also easier for the family - Charles certainly would have had an awful time if he had been called on to eulogize his father. PP's life spoke for itself. If the lessons/readings are done properly a sermon is not required either.

The Navy Hymn always gets to me - it was staple on the Sunday closest to Veterans Day at church and I never made it through without crying then too. (Navy wife).

My sympathies to all who have lost loved ones and dear friends over this last very trying year. This just dredges all the feelings of loss and disruption from our normal process of grieving all back.  Hug

On a lighter note I loved seeing the Richmond brooch and wonder if it had some special significance.

I was thinking it would've been nice if the family could have had tea together, possibly in a marquee outside - or would that have been breaking the Covid rules too?

Curtains - I hope you are correct and that Bea is expecting.

Anyone else feel drained now that this is done? I do.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 08:02:07 PM by Lady Liebe » Logged

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.       Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

The Memorial Wall along the Southbank in London

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2021, 07:08:48 PM »

Such a beautiful, sublime service! That it would take pandemic restrictions to give Prince Philip the funeral, its seems, most reflective of who he was!
The music had me at the "I Vow to Thee, My Country"  Cry  as the modified Land Rover carrying the coffin wend its way to the chapel for the service.  
The acoustics in the Chapel were phenomenal with just 4 choristers.
The Last Post cuts me off at the knees whenever I hear it.
The camera crew were brilliant in letting the family grieve while giving those who tuned into the broadcast a chance to participate. The Royal Family YT was wonderful for a commentary free broadcast though Channel 9 soon realised less was more.
The service, after everything that has happened with the BRF over the past 2-3 years, is perhaps a timely reminder that the institution survives best through dignity.

I have no idea how something can be solemn and triumphant at the same time, but the funeral felt exactly like that  ( Star Hester)  ...a celebration of a life and the mourning for the loss of it.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:38:36 PM by Chandrasekhi » Logged

The Book Fairies are joining judges and contributors to the #HoldStill2020 project to mark the release of the beautiful book! We are leaving copies at places that gave us hope during lockdowns. #HSBookFairies #ibelieveinbookfairies
Curtains

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2021, 07:10:30 PM »

All right, Eternal Father Strong To Save.  Iím in pieces now.

Did this song make anyone else think of the movie Titanic? 🤭 It was the first time I heard it. This choir did a beautiful job.

Not me.  A friend of mine was the first female graduate of the US Naval Academy to die in the line of duty.  Her funeral at Annapolis was wrecking but we sang this.  I grew up in a Navy family so I considered it disrespectful (rising to the level of Stolen Valor) for the movie to use it.  Anything for a buck, eh Cameron?  

It's quite an old hymn, and it was actually sung at the Sunday morning church service aboard the Titanic, per survivors.  So Cameron, far from seeking a buck, was just being historically accurate.

I fully realize that.  I still think it was vulgar and cheap of Cameron.  My family has served since the War of 1812, and hearing Winslet, who I otherwise like, warble her way through something I consider genuinely sacred is like fingernails on a chalkboard.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:27:49 PM by Curtains » Logged

"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic: but I had a good life, all the way." - Jimmy Buffet, America's premiere poet
editorathome
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Bouvet Island Bouvet Island

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2021, 07:24:39 PM »

Did anyone see Sarah Chatto?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: