Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Royal Heroines Suggestions please!  (Read 1067 times)
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2021, 11:48:05 PM »

I'm a history teacher, and my department is starting a project with some of our history-loving students where they create and produce podcasts on lesser-known but fascinating aspects of history.  I was asked for some topic ideas, and I thought about maybe profiling some less famous, but totally amazing, female British royals.  I thought maybe Margaret Beaufort would be interesting, and I wondered if any of you know of any other women who deserve to be spotlighted!  I feel like there's a story about a widow who led her husband's troops into battle?  I'm not sure if Eleanor of Aquitaine would be a fascinating profile?  Also if y'all have any suggestions that aren't British, but are royal women in general who would be great topics, I'd love to hear them as well.

I absolutely love how much I've learned from this board; I'm constantly in awe of the depth of knowledge I come across!  Thanks!
Celia

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 12:43:38 AM »

Wasn't the widow at war Boudicca?  Anyone who rises up against the Romans and almost succeeds is a bad-a*s in my book.
Ellie

Muted
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 12:46:09 AM »

Margaret Beaufort would be really fascinating because of all the power she wielded in a way that she had because of her son and ignored her own right to the Crown because of the civil war caused by Stephen and Matilda - another woman that would be interesting to cover!

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 02:10:37 AM »

Margaret Beaufort would be really fascinating because of all the power she wielded in a way that she had because of her son and ignored her own right to the Crown because of the civil war caused by Stephen and Matilda - another woman that would be interesting to cover!

True, and Margaret Pole, who also had a strong claim to the throne and was persecuted for it.
anneboleyn

Warned
Large Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 02:20:39 AM »

Katherine of Aragon wasn’t a widow but she ruled the country while Henry was at war.

Also, Elizabeth I for many reasons.

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 02:35:12 AM »

What about Elizabeth Woodville and/or Elizabeth of York?
jolene

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 03:16:13 AM »

This podcast may give you some inspiration (their site is how I found this one):
The History Chicks
http://thehistorychicks.com/

http://thehistorychicks.c...-queen-victoria-part-two/
emtishell

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 04:30:18 AM »

Eleanor of Aquitaine would be amazing! She's one of my favourites.

I find Catherine of Valois fascinating too - a daughter of the King of France, widowed from Henry V before he even met his son and heir, tried to be used as a political pawn, and embarking on an affair which became the foundation of the Tudor dynasty.
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 04:43:31 AM »

This is so the thread for Cyril Sebastian. Calling Cyril!!!
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 08:32:00 AM »

I'd probably connect the historical figure to some question that makes it more relatable by comparing it to today, and by taking popular movies as sources for comparison with the actual history.

Queen Charlotte - was she portrayed truthfully in The Madness of King George?

The daughters of Queen Charlotte and King George III - would you have liked to change places with one of the Princesses? (there's a book by Janice Hadlow about the whole family - quite interesting, Victoria and Albert were by no means the first monarchs to develop the concept of the Perfect Royal Family)

Princess Charlotte - how might history have developed if she had survived? How might her character developed?

Queen Adelaide - why does nobody remember her? Does she even appear in the series or movies about Victoria? (there are Lehzen and Victoria's mother already who get all the attention middle-aged women "deserve" is my theory - Queen Adelaide is quite a tragic story and she was always very nice to Victoria)

Queen Alexandra - how would such a marriage look today? Can you imagine the headlines about her husband in today's world? What if her deafness had been cured or sign language popularized, and she'd continued to be socially active?

There also some nice books about the daughters and granddaughters of Queen Victoria.

To compare the different actors who have played Victoria is also interesting - from Annette Crosby to Emily Blunt... each bringing her own angle to the figure. Who was probably closest to the real QV?

I think the whole story of the British monarchy is sprinkled with interesting women.

ETA: DId I really forget to mention Lady Jane Grey.....?
leatherface

Gigantic Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 09:01:09 AM »

Marie de Guise and Mary, Queen of Scots.

Also,  Margaret of Anjou. Poor woman was slandered beyond all reason through out history.
Ellie

Muted
Ginormous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 09:07:11 AM »

Queen Charlotte and Queen Caroline! Caroline's family life was toxic but my my she was a brilliant lady. Charlotte was too but subsumed in her husband's desires of how he wanted her so she was really miserable all her life. Sad

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
genegal43

Gigantic Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 04:50:36 PM »

https://www.historyofroyalwomen.com/ is an excellent source for ideas!

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 11:33:00 PM »

Star
Fantastic suggestions all around!!   Beer  Some new-to-me women to research, some good reminders, and some fantastic resources!  I REALLY appreciate y'all!!!   

PS Lady Jane Grey is one of my favorite historical figures of all times! 
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 11:48:25 PM »

This is so the thread for Cyril Sebastian. Calling Cyril!!!

Queen Philippa (Philippa of Hainault) was the wife of King Edward III of England.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: