Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Christian's confirmation  (Read 53729 times)
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2021, 10:07:18 AM »

She's a 14 y/o girl, for the forseeable future her vocabulary is going to consist of 3 things rude, bitchy and surly especially to her mother.

I do not agree.  While she is a teenage girl, snapping like that at her mother is unacceptable, especially in public with cameras around. 

It may be unacceptable for Isabella to publicly snap at her mother but it is not out of the realm of possibility given her age as this is the period when she will come into conflict with the adults in her life especially her mother.

Also, the fact that she said this in public hints, at least to me, that this was part of a bigger and long running conflict with her mother

Unacceptable? Yeah, sure, but should she be dragged through the mud for it? She’s 14, for goodness sake, and no 14 year old is well-behaved 24/7.

She will be the subject of conversation for such behaviour regardless of her station in life. Even if this matter was never reported to the press but was overheard by people, it would make the rounds and most adults will look unfavourably at her behaviour whether she is a princess of Denmark or the daughter of the local fishmonger.

this  Beer Star

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

The Memorial Wall along the Southbank in London

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2021, 10:46:28 AM »

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, most people found Isabella's reaction cute. Then yesterday a Danish comedian reacted saying what I thought as well. At 14 years I would not have gotten away with mouthing off at my mother like that.

She probably didn't. There would have some form of behaviour correction / retribution behind the scenes. Kudos to Mares: she rolled with the punch instead of causing a scene in public. Today's teens are a different beast. My social circle maintains that teen boys are far easier to raise than teen girls. "Freakonomics" concluded that after the age of 7, a child's peer group has a bigger influence on a child than the parent: horrifying indeed!

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2021, 11:49:41 AM »

I am going to take the opposite side of arguments and say:
The fact that Isabella dared to say that to her mother IMo shows, she is not afraid of her, she is not afraid of repercussions. That might be because Mary doesn't parent at all and is indifferent, or rather that the overall connection between Mary and Isabella is good, so that Isabella isn't afraid to test her mother's patience. Children who are afraid of their parents, do not rock the boat at that age, they either conform to their parents dicate or they completely ignore them.
Also I would like to hear, what she said exactly, a translation is always tinted by perception. What did she say in danish? And how would this rate in danish, how would it be perceived by a danish speaker?

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Modern Dane

Baby Member

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2021, 12:16:46 PM »

The fact that Isabella dared to say that to her mother IMo shows, she is not afraid of her, she is not afraid of repercussions. That might be because Mary doesn't parent at all and is indifferent, or rather that the overall connection between Mary and Isabella is good, so that Isabella isn't afraid to test her mother's patience. Children who are afraid of their parents, do not rock the boat at that age, they either conform to their parents dicate or they completely ignore them.
Also I would like to hear, what she said exactly, a translation is always tinted by perception. What did she say in danish? And how would this rate in danish, how would it be perceived by a danish speaker?

I’m a Native Danish speaker and here is what Isabella says to Mary in direct translation first: ‘Didn't you say I should go with Grandma? so you are completely gone’.
The meaning of What Isabella says to her mother is, ‘you told me to go with grandma, you a completely stupid/or retarded/mentally disabled’
Sorry if this offended anyone but what Isabella says to Mary is basically I think you are a complete idiot but in the outmost condescending way.
I’m a mother of daughters age 16, 14 and 12 and we live in Copenhagen and there is no way and of my three daughter would have talked like that to me, my husband or other family members nor to teachers or classmates because it would be considered an act of bullying and rude. My oldest daughter actually commented that she either is a complete brat or trying to be cool in a very unintelligent way.
I’m personally surprised because in public you learn a lot about how the family is in private life which is sad in this case and indicate a dysfunctional relationship in my opinion, but I’m not an expert just a regular mother of daughters the same age as Isabella
Harley
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Denmark Denmark

Team Marie all the way

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2021, 12:26:05 PM »

She said: “Er du helt væk” which directly translates to “are you completely gone”. And while it wasn’t as an f bomb or something like that, I do think it’s a pretty rude reply. She’s more or less calling her mother an idiot.

I also think that the reason why the Danish media glosses it over is because it’s a kid from the Derf family. Because it’s one of Derf and Mosh’s kids, it’s “delightfully normal”. I assure you, had any of Joachim’s kids ever said/done something like that, they would NOT have gone with “how cute and normal”.

As a Dane, I would not have been okay with my child talking to me that way. Of course, my daughter’ll turn 3 in a couple of months, so that would also be highly unlikely at this stage 

All that said, we don’t know Isabella or how her relationship with Mary is, nor do we know what happened between them earlier which caused this reaction. Isabella may have been justified in her annoyance. But as a general thing, I think it was a very bratty sentence.

ETA: I didn’t see that Modern Dane also replied Smiley

Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2021, 12:40:22 PM »

There are high hopes gone. At the age of 14 she would understand the basics how media work. She has enjoyed 14 year of privilege. She should have understood by now that her grandmother is the head of state, her father will be, her mom will be consort. They are not like any other family. She likes the privileges as well.

Apart from that - talking to your mom like that is not acceptable.
loubna

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2021, 12:53:24 PM »

for sure, it isn't a way to answer to your mother / parent or anyone else, I think that isabella didn't expect that what she said would be audible to other than her mother, it's a good lesson for her which I hope will be profitable for her, she is still a teenager and her personality is in construction
Kayzilla

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2021, 01:18:18 PM »

deleted because I just saw the answer above
Royal Me!

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2021, 02:33:16 PM »

As an RDer posted ...

Mary wanted MORE pictures, camera whoring, public attention, etc.

QMII was already leaving the scene and perhaps Isabella was following royal protocol ...
Mary is well-known for finding time to spend with the cameras after QMII has started leading the royal pack away.
lothwen

Warned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2021, 04:21:37 PM »

I said things to my mother at 14, in the heat of the moment, that I instantly regretted. I was also punished for it, and people who knew me would basically describe me as a goody-two shoes. So I don’t see this one singular incident as a big issue.
periwinkle

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2021, 04:22:49 PM »

She said: “Er du helt væk” which directly translates to “are you completely gone”. And while it wasn’t as an f bomb or something like that, I do think it’s a pretty rude reply. She’s more or less calling her mother an idiot.

Wow. Thank you Harley and Modern Dane for the precisions. This makes me feel sorry for both Mary and Isabella. Mary that she is talked to like that by her daughter and Isabella that she lives in a family for whom insults and snapping must be considered normal. Credit indeed to Mary that she didn't escalate anything in public but boy howdy she and Fred need to call out bad behavior and not exhibit it themselves. I hope a bit of the media backlash can be carefully presented to Isabella regarding how a spontaneous and ugly pushback can make headlines and how it paints her as an unkind person. Unless the Danish media is just glossing over it then that will empower the royal children more.
Princess MS

Warned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2021, 04:43:47 PM »

Wow. Thank you Harley and Modern Dane for the precisions. This makes me feel sorry for both Mary and Isabella. Mary that she is talked to like that by her daughter and Isabella that she lives in a family for whom insults and snapping must be considered normal. Credit indeed to Mary that she didn't escalate anything in public but boy howdy she and Fred need to call out bad behavior and not exhibit it themselves. I hope a bit of the media backlash can be carefully presented to Isabella regarding how a spontaneous and ugly pushback can make headlines and how it paints her as an unkind person. Unless the Danish media is just glossing over it then that will empower the royal children more.

I think all the children of Daisy and those following are entitled because of who they are .... both sons and all the grandchildren... they should just recognise heir and the one after that... jokker has found a new life finally as he should and that should be an example to Fred’s 3 younger children who are not relevant in a dynastic sense .... cut off state funding once 18 and find jobs... their father can pay for their education as did mine... and my father did not get the huge allowance Fred gets
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2021, 04:48:18 PM »

The mother in me says, not respectful, the long time royaldisher who saw Isabella play second fiddle for so long, I am  Grin I think there are many here for many years that predicted these two may start butting heads.
Aubiette

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2021, 04:57:11 PM »

I’m a Native Danish speaker and here is what Isabella says to Mary in direct translation first: ‘Didn't you say I should go with Grandma? so you are completely gone’.
The meaning of What Isabella says to her mother is, ‘you told me to go with grandma, you a completely stupid/or retarded/mentally disabled’
Sorry if this offended anyone but what Isabella says to Mary is basically I think you are a complete idiot but in the outmost condescending way.
I’m a mother of daughters age 16, 14 and 12 and we live in Copenhagen and there is no way and of my three daughter would have talked like that to me, my husband or other family members nor to teachers or classmates because it would be considered an act of bullying and rude. My oldest daughter actually commented that she either is a complete brat or trying to be cool in a very unintelligent way.
I’m personally surprised because in public you learn a lot about how the family is in private life which is sad in this case and indicate a dysfunctional relationship in my opinion, but I’m not an expert just a regular mother of daughters the same age as Isabella

Thank you for the clarification and perspective.  Star
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2021, 05:26:50 PM »

I am just impressed that Mary understood Danish.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: