Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May 28, 2020 - Princess Leonor's confirmation  (Read 8643 times)
periwinkle

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 01:05:29 AM »

Aren't new Catholic confirmants expected to wear white? Otherwise I agree with everyone that only Felipe looks well dressed. Leonor at least has the right idea with her dress but it looks like a sewing class project. I hope she got an A draping can be hard lol.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2021, 01:17:18 AM »

Completely agree. After so many years, Leti seems still not figure out the importance of wearing proper clothes at events. The pictures of  Leo's confirmation are surely going to be on many magazines. It's true embarrassing to see the family (except for Felipe) dress so poorly. For Leti herself, she had so many suits or dresses she could wear to at least match Felipe's designer suit, she looked like shopping at a supermarket with her casual clothes.

I actually agree with de-emphasising the attire at a religious occasion. Tight clothes and too-high heels would be inappropriate.
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 01:19:21 AM »

Aren't new Catholic confirmants expected to wear white? Otherwise I agree with everyone that only Felipe looks well dressed. Leonor at least has the right idea with her dress but it looks like a sewing class project. I hope she got an A draping can be hard lol.

That's First Communion you're thinking about. I imagine there are some localities that do for tradition's sake, but Confirmation in my part of the world has never been about wearing white.

dKaren

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 02:12:05 AM »

Looks like nobody took this seriously at all judging by the sartorial choices.

Leo and Felipe did take it more seriously though. Leo wore Asturias color blue, Felipe's tie matched her dress.I think Felipe is her godfather. I like the blue color, but dress was too big at the top, fabrics looked cheap, that was not her fault IMO.
Leonor’s godfather is Juan Carlos. Her grandparents were also her godparents.

Yes JC is Leo's baptism godfather. At confirmation she can have another sponsor (or godfather), she chose her father. She has always been a Daddy's girl, no surprise here.
periwinkle

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 02:27:08 AM »

That's First Communion you're thinking about. I imagine there are some localities that do for tradition's sake, but Confirmation in my part of the world has never been about wearing white.

Thank you Lady Alice.
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2021, 02:42:51 AM »

The waistline on the blue dress is so 80s! With the slight V and dropped waist ish. I hope she gets a stylist at some point. It would be so disappointing if she goes the Victoria way regarding clothing.
pocahontas

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2021, 06:47:45 AM »

Completely agree. After so many years, Leti seems still not figure out the importance of wearing proper clothes at events. The pictures of  Leo's confirmation are surely going to be on many magazines. It's true embarrassing to see the family (except for Felipe) dress so poorly. For Leti herself, she had so many suits or dresses she could wear to at least match Felipe's designer suit, she looked like shopping at a supermarket with her casual clothes.

I actually agree with de-emphasising the attire at a religious occasion. Tight clothes and too-high heels would be inappropriate.

I would characterize Leti's outfit as business/official event attire like many she wears at work. I certainly would not wear that outfit to the supermarket. It's appropriately somber not flashy nor particularly fashionable - which may have been the point. It's a non-public, religious event for her daughter. If Leti wore a fabulous outfit (I don't even mean flashy, but just a great outfit fashion-wise), all attention would be on her instead of Leo. In this pic with other attendees, Leti actually looks more dressed up than the other ladies.
Now, I usually look forward to seeing what Leti wears at private events because she has more latitude in what she can wear and she often displays a sense of fun and edginess in her outfits. But this is a religious event and she can't do that.

I am disappointed in what Leo is wearing - a very utilitarian dress. Looks like medical scrubs. It would look better in powder blue, pastels, or prints. But again maybe the kids were instructed to wear something somber.

Sofia's dress is pretty, age, occasion, and season appropriate, and it fits her.

A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 10:08:07 AM »

Thank you Lady Alice.
I struggle to remember what I wore at my (Catholic) confirmation. Certainly I remember my First Communion, not least because the obligatory white dress photos are still on display at my parents’ house. I think perhaps we all wore school uniform at confirmation as I did it in my last year of Catholic primary school, aged 11, considerably younger than Leonor is now.

And to dKaren... yes, the term we used at confirmation was sponsor, not godfather, though mine happened to also be my godmother. This is all 30+ years ago now, and I’m what you might call “lapsed” when it comes to Catholicism.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 10:13:25 AM by A Citizen not a Subject, Reason: Messed up quote function... » Logged

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
emtishell

Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »

The waistline on the blue dress is so 80s! With the slight V and dropped waist ish. I hope she gets a stylist at some point. It would be so disappointing if she goes the Victoria way regarding clothing.

The 80s are back! I think Leo’s dress today, along with Izzy’s outfit at Christian’s confirmation, definitely proves we are all “cheugys” who know nothing about current FARSHUN  Roll Eyes
Eliza B

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2021, 01:01:21 PM »

Thank you Lady Alice.
I struggle to remember what I wore at my (Catholic) confirmation. Certainly I remember my First Communion, not least because the obligatory white dress photos are still on display at my parents’ house. I think perhaps we all wore school uniform at confirmation as I did it in my last year of Catholic primary school, aged 11, considerably younger than Leonor is now.

And to dKaren... yes, the term we used at confirmation was sponsor, not godfather, though mine happened to also be my godmother. This is all 30+ years ago now, and I’m what you might call “lapsed” when it comes to Catholicism.

Yes to this. I assumed it was Sophias confirmation given age.

You need a sponsor (usually Godparent) a "confirmation name", perform the 7 steps, you don't need to wear white (i didn't - 1st communion at 7 you do wear white), but are usually slightly younger - in US its 13 (14 if you're bday is before may).
Eliza B

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2021, 01:10:45 PM »

I think Philip and Sophia looked the best dressed of the 4. Leti's and Leonor's are too 80s/90s for my taste. 
Paige

Baby Member

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2021, 01:24:38 PM »

Well, I quite like Leo’s dress,and I don’t think Letizia’ s look is proper
They’re lovely family as usual
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »

They ARE a lovely family, agreed. And if there isn’t much emphasis on fashion, well that’s okay, too. I wouldn’t want to see the girls be clothes horses, either.

anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2021, 03:42:43 PM »

They ARE a lovely family, agreed. And if there isn’t much emphasis on fashion, well that’s okay, too. I wouldn’t want to see the girls be clothes horses, either.

I agree. They seem almost normal, like an (upper class) family you might see anywhere.

Which I think is a testament to the way Leti and Felipe have chosen to bring up their kids.
Steferene

Baby Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »

Thank you Lady Alice.

Yes to this. I assumed it was Sophias confirmation given age.

You need a sponsor (usually Godparent) a "confirmation name", perform the 7 steps, you don't need to wear white (i didn't - 1st communion at 7 you do wear white), but are usually slightly younger - in US its 13 (14 if you're bday is before may).
They don't really do confirmation or baptismal names in Spain.

Final year of primary school here in Ireland  and we wear school uniforms
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: