Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amalia news and events 2021  (Read 41382 times)
Lady Liebe

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2022, 05:43:12 PM »

I have no problem with culling.
I have a problem with sports.
Around here, you can lease a parcel of land (forests and woodlands) and then you are responsible for the animal population. State/city, municipal lands are cared for by official rangers. As a registered hunter you are also on call for accidents, police will ask you to come out -any time- to put down an injured animal.
But shooting animals is not considered "sport". There are no hunts, no hunting parties, there certainly is no royal or aristocratic event or like in the US a huge drunk horde running wild.
Having a hunting district, a woodland or a lease obviously is expensive and very time consuming so you do not see your average plumber, but it is not an elite sport...

There are exclusive hunting preserves in the US, both good and bad. Locally there is a wildfowl shooting club that has been here for over a century, it has a small discreet sign with just the initials of the name, and I would have never know what it was but the wife of the manager was a fellow parishioner. They were into conservation (limits, wetland preservation) long before it became a trend, then a necessity. Memberships are inherited, and when one comes available it goes for a pretty penny. If break the rules, you are out. No refund. The waiting list is long.

I lived in MI for a few years, and I have to say people got crazy. The joke was farmers painted cow on the side of their cattle, but it had a ring of truth. Round here, there have been hunters who have shot trumpeter swans and claimed they thought it was a snow goose. Trust me, I've seen both in flight - swans are much larger an have longer necks. I've also had to have words with people hunting too close to my house, even though our little parcel is posted, and had a pile of shotgun shells under my mailbox. I'm not anti hunting but you obey the rules and know what you're shooting at and I have no problem.

I do however have a problem with the release of pen raised pheasants, just for the hunting season. Establish a flourishing population if you want to hunt something - that goes for wild turkeys too.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2022, 11:33:15 AM »

https://www.nu.nl/konings...nodig-lijkt-dat-niet.html

Loosely translated as:

Amalia can now also hunt at Het Loo, but it doesn't seem really necessary

Have nature and man been helped with the annual hunt of the king, his acquaintances and soon his daughter? Or do the hunters just do it for fun? Amalia has her hunting license and can go hunting if she wants. In doing so, she would maintain a long-standing tradition: in the autumn the royal family hunts, especially boars. NU.nl spoke to experts who are divided about this royal hobby.

Kroondomein Het Loo closes for three months every year. Only the royal family, their invited friends and the fauna managers know exactly what is going on there. But it is certain that there will be hunting.

Kroondomein Het Loo has been a hunting ground for the Oranjes since 1895. There is mainly hunted on boars. Prince Hendrik was a great lover of animals and brought them to the crown domain at the beginning of the twentieth century.

"In the period September-December, the entire Veluwe is hunted," Arno Willems, who manages the Kroondomein as steward, tells NU.nl. And indeed, the king also hunts, but that is about one part of the day in those three months.

"The king's guests are also present, but this happens sporadically," says Willems. "It is thought that they will shoot huge numbers of boars, but that is not the case. The fauna managers manage the population."

Boar population is large
Because the population is large, says Professor of Ecology and Biodiversity Han Olff of the University of Groningen. "Boar have relatively many offspring and so the population has the potential to grow rapidly."

The population varies per year; This is mainly due to the availability of food. If many acorns and nuts grow, the population increases. An excess of boars can be dangerous, for example, because they go out on the road in large groups, and can cause accidents.

Crown domain manager Willems adds that this problem becomes more acute when there is a food shortage after an acorn-rich year. There is then too little food for many animals.

"So they continue to explore the boundaries of the area. They walk by road to nearby villages or towns and can cause dangerous situations. Or they move to agricultural areas to find food and dig up the ground. Then you can do two things : starving the animals, or actively managing the population by hunting."

The Fauna Protection protested earlier against the boar hunt. The action group believes that the animals should not be hunted. Photo: ANP

Prince Bernhard admitted that boars were fed

This year, according to Willems, there are fewer boars. Animal rights activist Niko Koffeman filed a case against the Kroondomein, because he believes that too much subsidy is being granted to the nature reserve. He argues that there is actually overpopulation, which is also created by the royal family.

According to Koffeman, many more boars live around the Kroondomein than in similar other areas, because there would be active additional feeding. This is denied by Willems and cannot be confirmed through other sources. It certainly happened in 2004: Prince Bernhard then talked about it in an interview with de Volkskrant.

"Claus said, 'We must abolish the pigs on the Loo.' Then you won't get any more guests, I told him, because they don't come for a deer, they only want to shoot pigs. "Yes, but we can't afford that," said Claus. Okay, then I'll pay, I said ", said Prince Bernhard at the time.

Van Vollenhoven's forest friends

Feeding boars has not been done for years, says crown domain manager Willems. "We do not feed, that is also prohibited. It would not be smart."

"I have been a manager for almost ten years now and before that, too, there was no additional feeding. That will undoubtedly have happened in the past. A magnifying glass is now imposed there, while that additional feeding also took place elsewhere in the Netherlands."

Koffeman thinks there is still feeding, for example because of the tweets of Pieter van Vollenhoven. Koffeman: "He calls them his 'forest friends' and then jokingly writes that they will come over on his birthday. But those friends only come to your party if you treat them every day. And he treats them every day."

https://twitter.com/Piete...tatus/1388476216219512835

Every royal house a hunting specialty

Koffeman says that almost every royal house has its own 'hunting speciality'. For example, the royal family of Spain would organize days on which quails are shot. In the Netherlands these are the swine. But it is mainly about tradition and socializing, says Koffeman.

"During the hunt there is a lot of chatter, business is done and sometimes even marriage partners are sought. It is an old-fashioned tradition, with a hierarchical division of positions: the staff picnics on one side, the hunters on the other."

'Hope Amalia realizes it's a cruel hobby'

Although there is hunting, Professor Olff believes that it is actually best to limit the population with natural factors, such as starvation. "Everything that is needed after that can be solved with hunting. But then you can still wonder whether you should do that. Boars normally only cause nuisance to people, not to nature. Yet many boars are shot."

Princess Amalia, who recently obtained her hunting license, may also do the same. As heir to the throne, she may also manage the crown domain without that deed. So there is a good chance that she has actually obtained the deed to actually go hunting.

"I do hope that Amalia will not practice hunting, just as she indicated earlier that she would waive her allowance," says Olff. "Or maybe she'll see for herself later that hunting is a cruel hobby."
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2022, 09:56:44 AM »

These days there is a lot of fuss, commotion about the Amsterdam student corps (the posh student organisation in Amsterdam). Among other things, about very sexist behavior and statements by male members in high positions in the corps. Apparently both female and male members have complained about this.

Student organizations can receive grants for board positions within the organization. In other words, it makes it possible to combine this type of job with studying, part-time jobs and so on. These positions are often seen as good work experience and a plus for later. As a result of excesses during hazing, these subsidies had already been stopped for a year. Just now that this was almost over, these issues started to surface. One of the consequences is that the subsidies have again been stopped for at least a year.

According to a Dutch news site:

https://www.nu.nl/konings...of-dat-gaat-gebeuren.html

Loosely translated as:

Princess Amalia wants to join the corps, but the RVD does not want to say whether that will happen

The Amsterdam corps is the subject of discussion after the misogynistic statements made by members during the closing party of the student association. Many people are curious whether it has consequences for the choice of Princess Amalia, who previously showed that she would like to join the corps. But the Government Information Service will not release any information about this.

The Government Information Service (RVD) is the spokesperson for King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and the other members of the Royal House. If the media have questions about the royal family, they can contact the RVD.

But journalists hardly ever get an answer when they ask questions about their private lives. The RVD has the task of protecting the private sphere of the members of the Royal House as much as possible.

This also includes the student days of Amalia, who will study Politics, Psychology, Law and Economics (PPLE) at the University of Amsterdam. So the RVD does not answer the question whether the princess will join a student corps. It is up to the members of the Royal House themselves to elaborate on this, but certain moments are chosen for this.

Think of the interview that Queen Máxima gave on the occasion of her fiftieth birthday. Or the book about Princess Amalia that Claudia de Breij wrote. In it, the princess said, among other things, that she would like to join the corps. "With a year club, all the trimmings."

In the case of Willem-Alexander, it was reported at the time that he joined the Minerva student association. Incidentally, the number of registrations at the Leiden student club grew explosively after this announcement. This may be a reason to be more careful with such information now.

No speech from the king

Many people are also curious whether the king will openly speak out against the misogynistic statements and atmosphere at the Amsterdamsch Studenten Corps and the Amsterdamsche Vrouwen Studenten Vereeniging (A.S.C./A.V.S.V.). He may have been a member of another corps (the Leiden Minerva), but for many Dutch people he is a well-known former corps member.

Yet it is not obvious that the king distances himself from the abuses within the student body in, for example, a speech or statement. This is also a subject that touches his private life. This did not apply to the peasant protests, for example, a subject that the king recently denounced during a state visit to Austria.

Should the princess nevertheless want to join A.S.C./A.V.S.V., that will in any case not happen in the short term. The corps is not taking on any new members for the time being after the fuss caused by the speeches, the association reported in a press release on Tuesday.

The headline of this article is quite suggestive. It seems to suggest that Amalia has indicated that she wants to join the corps after all the commotion became known and all that. However, it is a statement she made earlier, around her 18th birthday.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 10:03:13 AM by Principessa » Logged
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2022, 10:00:46 AM »

An older article on a Dutch website about how the student time of her parents was:

https://www.nu.nl/konings...an-haar-ouders-eruit.html

Loosely translated as:

Amalia announces study choice: what was her parents' student life like?

Princess Amalia announced on Monday that she will start the upcoming academic year with the bachelor's degree in Politics, Psychology, Law and Economics at the University of Amsterdam. What did the student days of her father Willem-Alexander and mother Máxima actually look like?

King Willem-Alexander, like his daughter Alexia, attended secondary school in Wales until he was eighteen, after which he served for two years. After his military service, he started studying history at the University of Leiden. During his studies, the king was a member of the Leiden student association Minerva. He lived with three fellow students in a student house at 116 Rapenburg.

During this time, Willem-Alexander was nicknamed 'Prince Pils', after photos of the prince were circulating with a glass of beer and a cigarette in his hand. His love life and drinking habits were widely reported in the tabloids. It was publicly doubted whether he would be fit for the kingship.

The king passed in 1993 with a neat 7.5. He graduated with a thesis on the Dutch response to France's decision to leave NATO's integrated command structure.

Princess Beatrix was a member of the same student association as Willem-Alexander. She studied sociology - also in Leiden - and expanded that to include economics, parliamentary history and constitutional law. She passed her master's exam with an 8.5 and can therefore call herself a doctorandus.

Amalia previously announced that she would not rule out becoming a member of Minerva as well. Now that it is known that the princess is going to study in Amsterdam, it is more likely that she will join a student association in this city.

Queen Máxima received her baccalaureate degree from the Northlands School in Buenos Aires in 1988. She then studied economics at the Catholic University of Argentina. Where Willem-Alexander dived into Minerva's bar, Máxima was a bit more serious during her student days.

The queen had several side jobs. For example, she worked at asset manager Mercado Abierto S.A., where she researched software. And a few years later, she went to work in the sales department of Boston Securities. She also taught English to children and adults, and mathematics to high school and freshmen.

Princess Amalia will move to Amsterdam in September, when the academic year starts. The daughter of Willem-Alexander and Máxima is going to share her home with some fellow students. The crown princess completed her vwo exam cum laude in 2021. She then went abroad to do an internship.

cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2022, 07:29:59 AM »

Are these clubs like fraternities or sororities in the US?
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2022, 01:04:26 PM »

Are these clubs like fraternities or sororities in the US?

Yes
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: