Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interfamily marriages: 1st cousins  (Read 1402 times)
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2021, 06:20:52 PM »

Thinking about all these first-cousin marriages among the royals, I really wonder how they did it.  I have a vast raft of first cousins on both sides of my family and I love many of them dearly, but marrying any of them? Ewwww! They're too much like siblings. We know too much about each other.  I realize we don't have dynastic or political or economic reasons to motivate such alliances and maybe those are what come into play with the royals, but frankly, marrying one's first cousin does not sound like a lot of fun.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »

Remember at the time of their marriages many haven't seen each other that often or were that close with their cousins. Some hadn't even met before. Due to the distances and the large families.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2021, 09:02:01 PM »

Yes, you do have a point about distance causing what might perhaps be a welcome unfamiliarity with one's first cousins in terms of future intimacy. I hadn't thought of that. I grew up in an area of Seattle known as Capitol Hill. I had two complete sets of first cousins in the same Catholic parish and they had multiple sets of first cousins on the other sides of their families, all also in our same parish. So I was inundated with family--aunts, uncles, cousins, cousins' cousins, and cousins' cousins' parents. Knew them all so well. Nowadays I tell people I grew up in the ``village'' of Capitol Hill. And no way would I have looked at any of my cousins at all in terms of dating or marriage. They were all too much like brothers and sisters. But in Queen Victoria's time, and even, in some cases more recently, things were clearly different for the royal families.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2021, 02:13:56 AM »

Edward of Woodstock (1330-1376) was the eldest son of King Edward III and Queen Philippa of England. He was the Prince of Wales.   
Edward married his first cousin once removed, Joan, Countess of Kent (1328-1385), on October 10, 1361. She was the daughter and heiress of Edmund, Earl of Kent, the younger son of King Edward I and Queen Margaret of England.     
Edward and Joan had two sons: Edward and Richard.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: