Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Afghanistan  (Read 9237 times)
Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

The Memorial Wall along the Southbank in London

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2021, 04:24:57 PM »

https://www.independent.c...robert-fisk-b1719637.html
14 September 2001: The lesson of history – Afghanistan always beats its invaders

Before the US invasion of Afghanistan, Robert Fisk wrote that George W Bush and Nato should heed his warning

On the heights of the Kabul Gorge, they still find ancient belt buckles and corroded sword hilts. You can no longer read the insignia of the British regiments of the old East India Company, but their bones – those of all 16,000 of them – still lie somewhere amid the dark earth and scree of the most forbidding mountains in Afghanistan. Like the British who came later, and the Russians who were to arrive more than a century afterwards, General William Elphinstone’s campaign was surrounded with rhetoric and high principles and ended in disaster. George Bush Junior and Nato, please note.

Indeed, if there is one country – calling it a nation would be a misnomer – that the west should avoid militarily, it is the tribal land in which Osama Bin Laden maintains his obscure sanctuary.
The Great Game was supposed to be about frontiers – about keeping a British-controlled Afghanistan between the Indian Empire and the Russian border – but it was a history of betrayals. Those we thought were on our side turned out to be against us. Until 1878, we had thought the Amir Sher Ali Khan of Kabul was our friend, ready to fight for the British Empire – just as a man called Osama bin Laden would later fight the Russians on “our” behalf – but he forbade passage to British troops and encouraged the robbery of British merchants.
The Russians were to endure their 10 years of Calvary exactly a century later, though in truth it was the Afghans who suffered a virtual genocide under the Soviets. Osama bin Laden, who had himself escaped several murder attempts by Russian agents, survived. Perhaps Vladimir Putin who is being asked to subscribe to the west’s new battle for “democracy and liberty” against the forces of darkness might remind Mr Bush just how painful Russia’s military adventure in Afghanistan proved to be. Perhaps we could all go back to the history books before suggesting – and the idea of such an adventure is clearly being dreamed of in Washington – that the Great Game should be taken up once more.

Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 04:47:31 PM »

https://www.news24.com/ne...f-power-in-days-20210815l
Taliban Already Reached Kabul & Ready for a Power Transition
The Taliban expects a peaceful transition of power in the next few days, a spokesperson said on Sunday, as the insurgents reached Afghanistan's capital Kabul with little resistance.

https://www.washingtonpos...-kabul-embassy-jalalabad/
KABUL — Taliban forces entered Kabul through the city’s four main gates Sunday morning, according to two Afghan security officials and civilian eyewitness accounts. The Islamist group is poised for a full return to power, two decades after the United States invaded Afghanistan.

In a sign that the government has collapsed, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has fled the country, Abdullah Abdullah, the head of the Afghan High Council for National Reconciliation, confirmed in a video shared online.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement that the group’s fighters had been instructed not to push further into the city with force. The militants had made recent gains after negotiating with local leaders. “We want to enter Kabul with peace, and talks are underway” with the government, he said.

thecrownjewelthief

Big Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 05:16:19 PM »

It’s an absolutely heartbreaking situation and I have no idea what the solution is. I don’t want to say much because it’s so complex but as an American we’ve caused a tremendous amount of pain and suffering in the Middle East over the last 20 years. It makes me sad and angry. My heart hurts for the Afghan people as well as for the families of soldiers from so many places who lost their lives for things to end up back here again.
anastasia beaverhausen

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 05:55:39 PM »

It’s an absolutely heartbreaking situation and I have no idea what the solution is. I don’t want to say much because it’s so complex but as an American we’ve caused a tremendous amount of pain and suffering in the Middle East over the last 20 years. It makes me sad and angry. My heart hurts for the Afghan people as well as for the families of soldiers from so many places who lost their lives for things to end up back here again.

Star CJT

I could not agree more and don’t want to say much either, except well said!
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 06:11:08 PM »

I can't believe I am witnessing what my parents did in 1975 with Vietnam.  What a colossal waste of life and money.
Chandrasekhi

Gigantic Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 06:22:16 PM »

Video
http://https://www.bbc.co...ws/av/world-asia-58223530
Afghanistan: Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen calls the BBC - interview in full
Suhail Shaheen called the BBC's Yalda Hakim, live on air.

In the wide-ranging interview, she pressed him on the Taliban's plans for the country amid concern the militants will impose strict interpretations of Sharia law, including corporal punishments and a ban on girls going to school.

cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 08:16:02 PM »

President Obama should have called it a war victory after we killed Osama and then made it a humanitarian effort after that.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 08:44:55 PM »

Absolutely heartbreaking. All those women and girls who believed they had a future, could work,could study, could dream of a safe and happy future and now this.

Cool your jets, everyone
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 09:02:36 PM »

I'm absolutely heartsick over this and I'm a little surprised at how deeply this is affecting me.  The suffering to come doesn't bear thinking about.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 10:47:36 PM »

However, the west has financed and trained the troops in Afghanistan for decades and yet those troops surrendered to the Taliban without a single shot fired. Perhaps, the west has to acknowledge that some people want to live a life in which the Sharia is the law.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 11:11:20 PM »

However, the west has financed and trained the troops in Afghanistan for decades and yet those troops surrendered to the Taliban without a single shot fired. Perhaps, the west has to acknowledge that some people want to live a life in which the Sharia is the law.

As hard as that is to get my mind around, I think you're exactly right.  I keep hearing the numbers of the Afghan Army being 300,000 strong and VERY well armed/trained, and yet you're right; they aren't even trying to put up a fight.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 11:25:52 PM »

That was by back-channel agreement between the Taliban and the Afghan government. No, the population does not want Sharia Law - clearly it’s impossible to say that.
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 11:32:49 PM »

President Obama should have called it a war victory after we killed Osama and then made it a humanitarian effort after that.

ITA  jmo we should have never been there, ask Alexander the Great.  Billions lost in lives and treasure, now millions of lives and futures destroyed.  It seems there are no answers only pain and conflict.  Heartbreaking, tragic and horrible.  Cry

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Lady Liebe

Humongous Member

Provence Amaryllis

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 11:35:23 PM »

As hard as that is to get my mind around, I think you're exactly right.  I keep hearing the numbers of the Afghan Army being 300,000 strong and VERY well armed/trained, and yet you're right; they aren't even trying to put up a fight.

They know the enemy far better than do - surrender is a vain attempt to preserve their lives.

https://abcnews.go.com/Po...unt-war/story?id=79424000

My heart goes out to all the Afghan people who worked for and had hope for a better future. I am heartsick at what the woman and girls will now endure.

No matter what our Sec of State blathers - I remember the fall of Saigon vividly - and it is very much reminiscent of  the time and circumstances.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.     CS Lewis
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2021, 11:35:45 PM »

I don't think for a second that women, children, or all men want Shari'a, but I do believe there is a sizeable portion that does.  Maybe because they are disillusioned with what they think Western philosophies/interventions have offered, maybe because their misguided interpretation thinks it's the proper religious thing to do, or maybe because they are bullies who are jumping at the chance to have an "acceptable" outlet for their violent impulses.  

History shows us how quickly the veneer of civilization can be stripped away and people can so quickly become base and violent, and that's tragically what we are seeing here.   Sad
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: