Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9/11 20 year Memorial  (Read 1677 times)
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2021, 06:52:45 PM »

It seems like yesterday, it seems like forever.  What are your memories of that day.

I woke up and the Morning Show was showing the Tower with the hole.  From the angle it looked small, like a Cessna had got horribly off course....didn't look that bad really.  Then as the horror is sinking in watching that second plane hit the building, the shock that we were under attact started to dawn on us, the pictures from that day stay seared in my brain forever.

I literally sat in front of the TV and couldn't look away for days.  It's still hard to grasp, to accept how evil man can subject other humans to, innocent people that have nothing to do with their twisted beliefs and hatred.

The day after the attacks Americans had never been so united....(sigh) there was no partisan sides, everyone was as one.  So many heroes, so much humanity toward others.   The international response was humbling.  I'm grateful to be able to think of those positive things today. 

Thank you for listening  Hug

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
anneboleyn

Warned
Big Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 07:08:48 PM »

Hug

I was just a baby when 9/11 happened but my heart goes out to everybody affected by it.

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 07:11:55 PM »

I talked about it this week with all of my history classes and was horrified to learn that the vast majority of them didn't even know there were more than 2 planes involved!  It was new information to them that the Pentagon was hit and a heroic plane full of passengers took down the 4th plane.

I was teaching on the day it happened...will never forget that feeling when the second plane hit and we instantly knew that our world was changed forever. 
Aubiette

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 08:22:04 PM »

The video of the band of the Welsh Guards in England playing the Star Spangled Banner 20 years ago and today brought me to tears. Much appreciated.
hrhpita

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 08:25:24 PM »

I was getting ready for work when the first plane hit.  I knew at that time something was wrong.  Then when the 2nd plane hit, I knew things were going to change.  I remember listening to CNN and them explaining that people were jumping out of the towers to try and save themselves.  I saw the images but did not want to believe that that was happening.  Then when the towers came down.  I did not want to believe I was seeing what I was seeing. My heart hurt/hurts for everyone who was/is affected by this very sad day in US history.  We cannot forget.  Hug

hrhpita

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 08:26:37 PM »

The video of the band of the Welsh Guards in England playing the Star Spangled Banner 20 years ago and today brought me to tears. Much appreciated.

I saw that too on Twitter.  Very moving. 

Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 09:06:47 PM »

I was in 8th grade and my history teacher had planned a current events day.  The plan was to spend 15-20 minutes watching the news and then have a class discussion.  Within moments of turning on the news the second plane hit.  Our entire school spent the day watching the news.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 09:24:32 PM »

I live on the West Coast of the US so was just getting out of bed when the first plane hit. I had the TV on a news show and at first I thought it was a small plane like the one that hit the Empire State Building years before. But I sat down on my bed and watched and didn't get back up for hours.

I was working for a New York publication and one of my editors was on the State Island ferry that day that delivers commuters to the bottom of Manhattan Island. He was standing out on the deck, looked up to see the jet, and it was low enough that he could see the faces of some of the passengers in the plane windows. He was so traumatized by what he saw and the subsequent events that he took advantage of his dual citizenship and now permanently lives in another country.

I had an 11-month-old grandson at the time and I found myself fearful for the world in which he'd grow up. But I couldn't have anticipated half of what has happened in the years since 9/11. One of the young people in my family came home from Afghanistan in a box, spurred to enlist in the military by the horrors he witnessed on 9/11.

My youngest daughter was serving with the USAF in Kuwait at the time and was ``stop-lossed'' as a vital service member, so her tour of duty was extended for another three years. I was so afraid for her welfare. Fortunately she got out of the service, got her master's degree in public health, worked in Africa fighting AIDS, married a fellow public health worker and now is the mother of my two youngest grands.

My youngest sister worked for months at ground zero, part of a team whose work it was to try to identify some of those who died from the body fragments and effects. I don't know how she did it, but then, the tradition of service to the nation was and remains strong in our family.

But all the anniversary stuff on the TV is too much for me today. So I'm closing down the computer and heading out to go be by the ocean for a while. Just need to look at the waves.
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 11:08:15 PM »

I live in NY. The Duke had been on Flight 93 one week earlier. Also, He does a lot of business with Guardian, who had their headquarters at WTC, so he was often there. He had met with a client on 9/10 about life insurance, and the client said we'll do it in January when I get my bonus. The client left 5 small children and a $3,000,000 mortgage ( big dog at Goldman Sachs). He was  38 years old.  I live 60 minutes by train from Grand Central, in Westchester County. Our small  town had 18 lost that day. Our neighbor directly behind was late getting in that day and was spared. My late BIL was sitting  stopped in traffic on the George Washington Bridge and watched both planes fly into the towers.
genegal43

Gigantic Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 11:32:34 PM »

I was a junior in high school.  I was in my music technology class when Mr. Stangel came in and announced a plane hit the first tower.  We would pop into the band room to see what was up.  I went to Mr. Blohowiak's classroom for second hour class and he had the TV on.  I remember Mitch Engels saying that "it'll take weeks to put the fire out."  My 3rd hour class was math with Mr. Bentz and he refused to put the TV on.  Fourth hour came around and Mr. Bonkowski gave us the option to watch the news.  We didn't do science that day.  Fifth hour I had study hall and I was an office runner.  I was freaking out about my cousin who was a pilot as well as my family in New York.  I was in the bathroom crying and a girl assured me that my cousin was most likely okay.  Sixth hour was Spanish and Mrs. Weber had the TV on mute while we worked on Spanish.  My last class was social studies as Mrs. Engels let us watch the news instead.

The number one thing I remember from that day was the rumors like a plane flew into the Great Lakes and the surreal feeling all day.  I also remember thinking that our high school is shaped like and "X" and how it would be a target.

Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 12:48:51 PM »

We were overseas and confused about the time differences so I asked hubby to switch on the tv to see the actual time, there was footage of the first plane hitting the tower and I glanced at the screen and told hubby to switch from what looked to me like a Bruce Willis- Die Hard- movie to a news channel, when hubs said: "no, I believe this is the newschannel" and before we really understood that what we watched was live footage of the burning 1.tower, the second plane approached and hit. I remember my husband swearing very quietly when the second plane came into view, he realized immediately what that meant. Silly me, actually thought initially that another plane was cruising too close to get a better view at the horrible sight...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Elissa

Most Exalted Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 02:29:47 PM »

I live in France and was a university student at that time.
Around 2.30 PM I decided to listen to the news bulletin on the radio.
They were talking about a plane who has just crashed into the WTC.
very soon they announced a second one had crashed on the other tower!
 I then turned on the TV , still nothing... and five minutes later, breaking news on every channel with these awful footage...

It was a very pleasant, sunny, still summery afternoon but I was trembling and feeling iced to the bones..Watched TV until the evening, on the phone with diffrent friends who were totally shocked, crying..
My father first thought it was another country attacking the USA by surprise like a second Pearl Harbour...

Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 04:00:03 PM »

I remember that day as it was yesterday. I was cleaning my room and listened on the radio that one of the Twin Towers was on fire, went to the living room and turned on the tv. I saw the second plane hit the other tower live.

My mom was on vacation and we just sat there in front of tv for so many hours, in pure shock.

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
cottesmore girl

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 07:31:08 PM »

I was living in KL Malaysia a city with it's own 'twin towers' (Petronas Twin Towers). It was the evening and we were just back from a meeting at my daughter's school. My father phoned me (from the UK) and said "A plane has just flown into one of the twin towers". I looked out of the window and saw that everything looked normal and replied "No dad...the twin towers are fine"
He replied "In New York...turn on the TV". we got CNN live coverage all evening...I was chilled to the bone.
In 1990 we had stayed a few months in an apartment in Battery Park City. I knew that neighbourhood. Literally couldn't believe what was happening.
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 07:55:42 PM »

Hi cottsmore girl.  Nice to meet you  Thumb up

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: