Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing White Woman Syndrome  (Read 3140 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2021, 09:33:49 AM »

Recently, because of the Petito case, the item Missing White Woman Syndrome (with the police) also came to the fore more clearly. At least in the USA and that is how this was highlighted in the Dutch media. An interesting phenomenon in my opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...sing_white_woman_syndrome
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 10:07:34 AM »

I thought race-based discussions were verboten on this board? The murder of Gabby Petito is an absolute tragedy and any attempt to lessen it by comparison with other cases is an appallingly insensitive approach. Just because someone created a Wikipedia page on a topic doesn’t make it legitimate.This discussion, if allowed to continue, will be on a hiding to nowhere. RIP Gabby along with all other murder victims.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 10:18:23 AM »

My apologies if this is not allowed.

It was not my intention to draw the "race card". It's just a phenomenon that caught my interest. And, really, this isn't the first time I've heard or read about it or anything like that. I added the wikipedia page to my post purely for information.
Pomme

Gigantic Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 11:17:30 AM »

The thing is, Dutch society, history and culture are quite different (note: not better, there is blood on our hands) from the US's.

HOWEVER, the regular media, social media, and the vast majority of our entertainment (all in original language, not dubbed) and music originates from the US (and UK) or is referencing it (to the extent that with many songs sound straight from the US until you realize they're singing in Dutch).

So some societal issues, concepts, major problems that are very serious and a cause for concern, are not present (or marginally present, like guns; basically verboten) over here, but do make their way into our media.

Whereas I fully understand and support that Maria and Thomas do not wish to moderate discussion on these subjects, I feel that Princi's interest/worry about it should be seen in this context. It is genuine.

Not all of the Western world (or other part) is a carbon copy of the US. Mentioning differences is legitimate, 'shining a light' is not evil, though this board is not the place to discuss it.

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 11:20:43 AM »

The thing is, Dutch society, history and culture are quite different (note: not better, there is blood on our hands) from the US's.

HOWEVER, the regular media, social media, and the vast majority of our entertainment (all in original language, not dubbed) and music originates from the US (and UK) or is referencing it (to the extent that with many songs sound straight from the US until you realize they're singing in Dutch).

So some societal issues, concepts, major problems that are very serious and a cause for concern, are not present (or marginally present, like guns; basically verboten) over here, but do make their way into our media.

Whereas I fully understand and support that Maria and Thomas do not wish to moderate discussion on these subjects, I feel that Princi's interest/worry about it should be seen in this context. It is genuine.

Not all of the Western world (or other part) is a carbon copy of the US. Mentioning differences is legitimate, 'shining a light' is not evil, though this board is not the place to discuss it.

Dear Pomme,

Thank you for your clear reply!
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 11:28:31 AM »

I haven’t looked at wiki and I don’t want to discuss or moderate a discussion about racial issues in the US but it is striking that we in “the West” hear in the news about the Gabby Petito’s and the Madeleine McCann’s but not very much about the many, many women and girls/children of colour who go missing or are killed in the US. Then again many young women from Eastern Europe, Russia and Asia are trafficked and killed with zero new coverage either so it’s not entirely fair to put an US based lens on the issue either.

In Denmark I don’t think there wouldn’t be news coverage about a WOC disappearing or getting murdered. We luckily have so few cases that ALL such cases gets lots of news coverage.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 11:35:31 AM »

I think there is a huge issue with the way the media cover attacks and murders of people of colour, especially women and girls of colour, but there is something really unpleasant about the term "missing white women syndrome". There's not a lot of privilege for the women in question about the amount of press coverage their murders receive, or the fact that their bodies might be discovered quickly.

Missing white woman syndrome should be better termed, "We have a horrendous global problem with violence against women and girls which is made worse by the media serving up titillation and click bait, and the police and media paying less interest to the deaths of women and girls of colour- let's deal with that rather than pit the actual victims of violent crime against each other please Syndrome"

Cool your jets, everyone
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 12:02:34 PM »

I will continue to mourn Gabby Petito without feeling required to apply a political lens to my sorrow, and fervently hope that all women will somehow be made safe.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 12:26:47 PM by Hester » Logged
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 12:15:01 PM »

FC ITA Star

Hester, do feel free to stay out of the discussion if you don’t feel you can contribute in a way the fits within the guidelines of the board.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 12:27:30 PM »

I think there is a huge issue with the way the media cover attacks and murders of people of colour, especially women and girls of colour, but there is something really unpleasant about the term "missing white women syndrome". There's not a lot of privilege for the women in question about the amount of press coverage their murders receive, or the fact that their bodies might be discovered quickly.

Missing white woman syndrome should be better termed, "We have a horrendous global problem with violence against women and girls which is made worse by the media serving up titillation and click bait, and the police and media paying less interest to the deaths of women and girls of colour- let's deal with that rather than pit the actual victims of violent crime against each other please Syndrome"

I totally agree.
Princess MS

Warned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »

I have heard about the story of the woman in the US but I have to ask who is she ? What makes her more of a “story” than another person?
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 01:13:40 PM »

I have heard about the story of the woman in the US but I have to ask who is she ? What makes her more of a “story” than another person?

Gabby Petito and her murderer were huge users of all forms of social media, which meant a lot of press opportunities, and there is legitimate speculation that the Laundrie parents aided their son to abscond on his uncle’s boat to the Bahamas - with a decoy search and delay. Plus the police inUtah intervened and pretty much blamed the woman, initially hiding their camera footage. Which all adds up to an internationally newsworthy story.
Princess MS

Warned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 01:24:51 PM »

Gabby Petito and her murderer were huge users of all forms of social media, which meant a lot of press opportunities, and there is legitimate speculation that the Laundrie parents aided their son to abscond on his uncle’s boat to the Bahamas - with a decoy search and delay. Plus the police inUtah intervened and pretty much blamed the woman, initially hiding their camera footage. Which all adds up to an internationally newsworthy story.

But in Australia??? When I first saw this I wondered if she had a connection to this country but apparently not .... click bait
Nappyolean

Warned
Mini Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 01:26:02 PM »

And she was a super cute blonde girl. And ITA upthread that calling her “Missing white women syndrome” almost victimizes her all over again. Like all this attention she has captivated is somehow her fault. I just hope for all missing women, no matter their skin tone, are found. Or if not, their killers get justice. And that Brian Laundrie is caught so he can’t harm another woman as he surely will if he is still roaming around out there.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 01:28:41 PM »

But in Australia??? When I first saw this I wondered if she had a connection to this country but apparently not .... click bait

Australians have very strong links with the US. I followed the story after it was posted in one of my international social media groups… not a clickbait scenario. It’s actually a very grassroots campaign.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: