Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sidney Poitier has died  (Read 1879 times)
Lady Liebe

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2022, 05:17:46 PM »

Rest in peace.

He was an amazing groundbreaking actor and activist, the first African American to win an Oscar, for Lillies of the Field in 1963, among other accolades.

Back in the day, it was a big deal when a movie made it's way onto the small screen - some of Sidney Poitier's pivotal works, Raisin in the Sun, Lillies of the Field, Guess who's Coming to Dinner and In the Heat of the Night were being shown on television when I was a teenager. An marvelous and thought provoking body of work to watch.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 05:48:16 PM by Lady Liebe » Logged

It doesn't matter how old you get, buying snacks for a road trip should always look like an unsupervised 9-year-old was given $100. <br /><br />Anonymous
Gemsheal

Gigantic Member

I love you both equally 💓

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 05:32:17 PM »

Oh, heartbreaking news ... I just saw (again, for like the 50th time), To Sir with Love only two weeks ago.   I loved him in that movie.     

Another film of Sidney Poitier's that I love is, A Patch of Blue.   Wonderful films and a splendid actor.   

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves. Viktor E. Frankl
Lady Liebe

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 05:50:59 PM »

Oh, heartbreaking news ... I just saw (again, for like the 50th time), To Sir with Love only two weeks ago.   I loved him in that movie.     

Another film of Sidney Poitier's that I love is, A Patch of Blue.   Wonderful films and a splendid actor.   

How could I have forgotten To Sir with Love? I think that's the one I've watched the most too. Now I've got Lulu doing the theme song running through my head.  Smiley

It doesn't matter how old you get, buying snacks for a road trip should always look like an unsupervised 9-year-old was given $100. <br /><br />Anonymous
Paulina

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 05:57:08 PM »

Plus, was he just dashingly handsome, too, or what??

The problem with incompetent, corrupt, fascist government is incompetence, corruption and fascism,  not government (Jerome Paris - paraphrased)
karma chamelion

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 06:20:33 PM »

Another legend gone, but oh what a life, what a talent! The elegance and dignity he brought to his roles was exceptional. He really drew you into his character. I honestly was a little in love with him, which for a white girl in the south in my youth was not encouraged.

Rest in Power, to Sir with love.
Diogenes
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 07:08:39 PM »

I adored Lilies of the Field.  Still has a lot to say.
Lord Gn

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 09:23:59 PM »

Rest In Peace. A great actor.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gs...8xxq16A9V9yg&usqp=CAU
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 11:07:23 PM »

My mum liked his acting very much. she read his biography and passed it to me. brilliant read. then he put another one out, and we both devoured that too.

yes. a brilliant man, indeed.

sad day.

G Sad

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 12:25:00 AM »

I used to show "To Sir, With Love" to my sociology students probably 15 or so years ago, and I remember how enthralled they were with it! No mean feat to captivate an audience of teenagers with a movie made 50 years before their time.

Phenomenal actor and by all accounts a great man, too.
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 02:31:01 AM »

That's a bloody shame, he was one of my favourite actors. RIP  Sad

Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 03:22:04 AM »

He was beautiful inside and out  RIP Mr. Poitier, you were a treasure

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Paulina

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 04:52:55 AM »

I wish the Queen would tweet a note. I think hes that special and she should.

The problem with incompetent, corrupt, fascist government is incompetence, corruption and fascism,  not government (Jerome Paris - paraphrased)
Lady Liebe

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 07:36:48 AM »

I wish the Queen would tweet a note. I think hes that special and she should.

Perhaps there will be something - he held a dual citizenship and did receive a knighthood in 1974.

Paulina

Warned
Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 04:53:03 PM »

Watched Lilies in the Field last night. Great movie. Love the black and white. Tonight Ill watch To Sir with Love or In the Heat of the Night.

Raisin in the Sun is spectacular, too.

Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 05:02:30 PM »

Such a great actor and a very classy man. I remember watching Guess Who's Coming to Dinner after Obama was elected. He was great in that movie.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: