Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth news and photos  (Read 76338 times)
Princess MS

Warned
Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: May 13, 2022, 06:40:42 PM »

She is also just coming off a bout of covid, that is major in someone her age.

I think the optics are not good... can go to an outdoor event looking ok but not Parliament? She can get any assistance to her seat there without being viewed
Lady Liebe

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: May 13, 2022, 07:28:24 PM »

I think the optics are not good... can go to an outdoor event looking ok but not Parliament? She can get any assistance to her seat there without being viewed

There is a whole lot of difference between opening Parliament and the horse show, and how much she participated in one vs. the other. 

Opening Parliament would involve dressing for the occasion, travel to London, the long walk down the aisle, the steps up, and standing for the speech.

Here she was in casual clothes, had a short drive, sat in her car and watched the show and greeted people for an hour, made a short walk to a viewing platform, stayed for a bit and walked back to the car and went back to the Castle.

It would be a way different story if she were the PM.

Nappyolean made a good point, HM has reached the point where she is suffering what I would characterize as the vagaries of old age. There are some things she will be able to do, depending on how she feels and and some things she cannot, due to her health on that day and the accommodations that need to be made.

I'm for cutting her some slack, but then I'm not a citizen of the UK.

https://www.dailymail.co....l-Windsor-Horse-Show.html

Her Majesty was clapped and cheered as she arrived in her Range Rover and wound down her window to chat animatedly to fellow festival-goers having never missed the event in the past 79 years.

The Royal Windsor Horse Show crowds looked equally thrilled to see her at the event also beloved by her husband of 73 years, Prince Philip, who died last April at the age of 99.

And after an hour or so, with the aid of a stick, she walked slowly around 30ft to her seat in the grandstand between her son Prince Edward and Penny Knatchbull, Countess Mountbatten of Burma. And the Queen looked pleased as punch to be there.

Edward's wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex, was also there to support the monarch, whose highland pony won first place, securing her a trophy. Her Majesty also watched with pride as her granddaughter Lady Louise Windsor, driving the Duke of Edinburgh’s carriage, led the Fell Pony Society centenary parade.

Shortly afterwards the Queen walked unaided to her Range Rover, waving to cheering crowds as she headed back to Windsor Castle.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill
autumn

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: May 13, 2022, 07:29:31 PM »

I, for one, am willing to give her a pass on this one. QE has spent a lifetime in service to her country. Whatever mobility issues she may now be experiencing, I find it sweet and endearing that she made an effort to see her youngest granddaughter drive Philip’s carriage at the show. From the expression on her face it definitely lifted her spirits and we know she made Louise’s day knowing her granny came to see her ♥️
ralf103

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: May 13, 2022, 08:04:53 PM »

The two events are so so different - and not just because we can assume HM enjoys one much more than the other.

For the State Opening of Parliament it just isn't possibly really to decided on the day whether HM is going to attend or not. HM had to sign papers to allow Charles and William to represent her, the speech had to be changed from "my government" to "HM's government" and so on. Not huge things but things which mean announcing on the day she is/isn't going just wasn't possible. It also meant travelling to London, walking a lot, doing so for a set amount of time and in front of lots of people. Add in the fact the Queen is required to read and follow a long important speech, in public, in front of cameras.

For Windsor Horse show no one was really expecting her, it is literally in her back garden and if she couldn't go at the last minute none of us would have probably even known. She was driven around to look at various bits, walked from her car to a seat, was surrounded by family and familiar faces and could leave at any time if it was too much for her. All she had to do was turn up, sit and watch.

To me turning up for the Horse show and not the State Opening just highlights BPs statements about HM's health have been accurate.

It gives me hope we'll see HM on the balcony for the Jubilee.
Emac0914

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: May 13, 2022, 08:23:52 PM »

I agree, ralf103 - it was probably too much fuss between travel to Westminster, dressing and having to walk in, now matter how close they could get her, present the speech and sit thru it all.  With the show so close, she could be dressed already, comfy and casual, decide things are good and have them take her very close to her seat.  This show is one of her greatest pleasures and to see her horses and Louise drive on top of it all, I can greatly imagine her being there.  Save her strength and mobility for the big upcoming events and let Charles and William do the legwork, although, I can’t say I was too happy seeing pics of him sitting in her seat. Struck a little too close to reality that is inevitable.
leatherface

Humongous Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: May 13, 2022, 08:25:45 PM »

I can’t say I was too happy seeing pics of him sitting in her seat. Struck a little too close to reality that is inevitable.

PoW sat on the consort's chair not the throne
Oh_Caroline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: May 13, 2022, 09:11:58 PM »

Truth be told I had similar thoughts…and still feel conflicted about things.  On one hand I know the events are very different and involve very different levels of stress and strain.  On the other hand…
Paulina

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: May 13, 2022, 09:57:25 PM »

She’s probably in her out of f*s to give phase and just wants to do what she wants to do if she feels up to it.

The problem with incompetent, corrupt, fascist government is incompetence, corruption and fascism,  not government (Jerome à Paris - paraphrased)
LadyBunion

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: May 13, 2022, 10:27:21 PM »

she probably didn't decide to go to the Horse Show until the last minute and there would have been a car standing by to take her home if she wanted (or others felt she needed to leave) - you can't do that for the opening of parliament
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: May 13, 2022, 11:29:41 PM »

You can’t be serious. There is a huge difference between reading a long speech at a lengthy formal event and sitting at an informal event she could leave after 15 minutes.
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: May 13, 2022, 11:34:25 PM »

she probably didn't decide to go to the Horse Show until the last minute and there would have been a car standing by to take her home if she wanted (or others felt she needed to leave) - you can't do that for the opening of parliament

Quite.
anneboleyn

Warned
Huge Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: May 13, 2022, 11:40:30 PM »

Yeah, I’m not going to blame a 96 year old for cherry picking what events she attends.

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: May 14, 2022, 01:26:53 PM »

The Queen has been so dutiful, so conscientious for so many decades - I really think she has earned the right to let her son do what is too difficult for her by now. She doesn't want to be seen flailing or weak at such an important event as the opening of Parliament with all its pomp and prescribed ritual.

I'm happy to see her happy, and I'm sure she was very proud of Louise. I hope the jubilee celebrations will be wonderful and create strong memories. I remember her silver jubilee in 1977 :-)
Lord G¡n

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: May 14, 2022, 02:44:13 PM »

I think she wil honour her oath until her last breath,come what may.
Gemsheal

Big Member

I make my own memes

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: May 14, 2022, 03:39:00 PM »

Truth be told I had similar thoughts…and still feel conflicted about things.  On one hand I know the events are very different and involve very different levels of stress and strain.  On the other hand…

I kinda agree with OC & Princess MS. 

I get that QEII is 96, a widow, frail, mobility impacted ... but, seriously?  The two events being so close together, and able to make all the necessary arrangements to attend the "pleasure" one ... well.  Not good.

But I'm in camp "retire and Regency already" so that's to be expected.   Wink

When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.
~ Helen Keller
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: