Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QEII Platinum Jubilee  (Read 69116 times)
Mariola

Medium Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #540 on: June 05, 2022, 06:59:34 PM »

I have enjoyed the photos to see what everyone is wearing etc etc (generally only Kate looked good) but in reality - and I know my opinion will not be popular - it all went on too long and I understand people cheering someone for being still alive and many have never known another head of state etc but the whole idea of a 'life of service' and 'never putting a foot wrong' that is like a script recited by so many on tv this week, it makes no sense to me. She has had a very privileged life, and I will never understand this mindless adoration of a person and especially when it is transferred to her offsprings and for what. I suppose because I am an atheist I have trouble with it, this worship, because I have never felt it.

I wish her well and I hope she has no pain from the troublesome discs in her back or whatever she suffers. It looked like she said - on the balcony - 'I suppose I'd better wave' and that made me laugh even if I imagined it.
periwinkle

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #541 on: June 05, 2022, 07:05:57 PM »

I think you go off the rails with describing this as mindless adoration as if those celebrating are stupid about what they are doing. I think people can realize that she is a privileged person without ever having to worry about paying bills or being fed and still see that she has done something extraordinary with a 70 year career which most civilians don't have and we have to work. She is a professional and a lot of fun and we've gotten glimpses of both. I think what also gets lost is that she is consummately British and that revs peoples motors too. She is a symbol of what a lot of people think is the best of Britain and as she gets older and her generation goes away there is a reverence in some quarters and a nostalgia in others for it. This is a very British phenomenon.
Pulsatilla

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #542 on: June 05, 2022, 07:13:11 PM »

Many thanks for all the pics and clips. I hope the Queen was able to enjoy most of the festivities via TV.
Louis is such a sunshine and I bet he has completely wrapped Grandpa Charles around his little finger.

Dear administrators, wouldn't this be the right moment to merge the Wills/Kate threads into the Britain section? They are doing quite a decent job now and the  "abandon all hope" header has become a little rude, especially since the threads about their innocent little kids are included.

Just a proposition, no offense meant.
Countess of Cows

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: June 05, 2022, 07:15:26 PM »

I must say I've enjoyed all the pomp, parades, music and seeing the closeness of all the family being natural and enjoying themselves.  I will add I was thankful for the way it took me out of myself (nothing but bad news over here) in those moments when it felt so joyful and all seemed right with the world.

THANK you to all that contributed to the thread    it was wonderful. 

"I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." Pietro Aretino

I would rather be hated for something I am, than loved for something I am not. -Bob Marley
Aubiette

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #544 on: June 05, 2022, 07:23:45 PM »

Statement from the Queen

anneboleyn

Warned
Gigantic Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: June 05, 2022, 07:42:57 PM »

Dear administrators, wouldn't this be the right moment to merge the Wills/Kate threads into the Britain section? They are doing quite a decent job now and the  "abandon all hope" header has become a little rude, especially since the threads about their innocent little kids are included.

Just a proposition, no offense meant.

I agree. Will and Kate have come such a long way!

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
Larzen

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: June 05, 2022, 08:04:17 PM »

I think Kate deserves the garter for taking three kids to so many public events that last somling on live tv, nor smdrop of sweat and a hair out of place…

Charles with Louis on his lap, who comes of his own free will and is not out there by his parents, is the money shot for him and it seems Clarence House thinks so too as they put it on Twitter as soon as it was taken almost.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 09:13:38 PM by Larzen » Logged
LongMaySheReign

Mini Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: June 05, 2022, 08:09:02 PM »

At 9 George is nearly as tall as the Queen. Wow.
Mariola

Medium Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: June 05, 2022, 09:26:57 PM »

I think you go off the rails with describing this as mindless adoration as if those celebrating are stupid about what they are doing. I think people can realize that she is a privileged person without ever having to worry about paying bills or being fed and still see that she has done something extraordinary with a 70 year career which most civilians don't have and we have to work. She is a professional and a lot of fun and we've gotten glimpses of both. I think what also gets lost is that she is consummately British and that revs peoples motors too. She is a symbol of what a lot of people think is the best of Britain and as she gets older and her generation goes away there is a reverence in some quarters and a nostalgia in others for it. This is a very British phenomenon.

Thanks Smiley I am not off-the-rails and I do not say anyone is stupid.

I do not understand the 'life of service' stuff, that is all. An elected representative has a career. A king or queen does not, not really.

anneboleyn

Warned
Gigantic Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #549 on: June 05, 2022, 09:43:59 PM »

As I get older, the more I agree with you about monarchy and how outdated the whole entire idea seems. However, I do think the Queen has lived her life the best way she knew how to.

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
katymc2

Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: June 05, 2022, 09:50:38 PM »

it all went on too long and I understand people cheering someone for being still alive and many have never known another head of state etc but the whole idea of a 'life of service' and 'never putting a foot wrong' that is like a script recited by so many on tv this week, it makes no sense to me. She has had a very privileged life, and I will never understand this mindless adoration of a person and especially when it is transferred to her offsprings and for what. I suppose because I am an atheist I have trouble with it, this worship, because I have never felt it.

I don’t really disagree with you. I had the same conversation with my husband and my mother. We went to Ireland to escape from street parties etc. Yes, I like to see the photos too but my goodness it can be excessive. I think alot of people appreciate the extra bank holiday and an excuse to get together but I don’t think they are blindly following. No one is going to criticise her as it would be like dissing everyone’s favourite granny.
Mariola

Medium Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #551 on: June 05, 2022, 10:17:38 PM »

As I get older, the more I agree with you about monarchy and how outdated the whole entire idea seems. However, I do think the Queen has lived her life the best way she knew how to.

I don’t really disagree with you. I had the same conversation with my husband and my mother. We went to Ireland to escape from street parties etc. Yes, I like to see the photos too but my goodness it can be excessive. I think alot of people appreciate the extra bank holiday and an excuse to get together but I don’t think they are blindly following. No one is going to criticise her as it would be like dissing everyone’s favourite granny.

I have expressed myself badly (again). I agree with both of you (bolded).
But for me the whole idea of monarchy is weird (and I have grown up in one but we can mostly ignore if we want). 

It's funny that I follow the threads mostly for clothes but I have developed a sort of affection for one of the worst dressed* - Princess Anne - especially when someone told me that she was once in a chat show and said she would like to be a long-distance lorry (truck) driver.

*yes I know she can fit into her old clothes from 1970 but it does not mean that she should.
periwinkle

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: June 05, 2022, 10:33:04 PM »

Just to clarify Mariola I don't think YOU are off the rails. That is an insult. I mentioned it about your argument and expressed myself badly if you took it personally for that I apologize. I just think it is possible to hold differing thoughts about the institution of monarchy and this woman. She is an exception for sure at 70 plus on the throne and as others have said done her best. It's for sure a weird phenomenon but very interesting to me as an outsider.
ralf103

Gigantic Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: June 05, 2022, 10:57:33 PM »

I respect your view point but don't agree. I think what you are seeing is

a) a nation celebrating being together after so long literally kept apart
b) celebrating the person not the Crown (even in the UK automatic respect for nobility and royalty is long gone)
c) people celebrating a woman doing a job that involve a huge part of public service for 70 years, and on the whole doing it pretty well
d) celebrating someone who for anyone under the age of 90 has been there in public literally their entire lives something those without a monarch or those with monarchs who are relatively new may not be able to fathom
e) this is the first and likely last Platinum Jubilee in a generation so people feel more inclined to mark it

Whatever the reason, no one has made people celebrate the Jubilee and everyone has celebrated in different ways. I went to a family party where you had the older great grandparent generation who are very much monarchists and all for how wonderful the RF are, to those who couldn't give a hoot about the monarchy and would happily see President Johnston or President Starmer in office - but all of whom were happy to spend time with friends and family for a party over a long weekend. 

Mab

Mini Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: June 05, 2022, 11:21:48 PM »

Thumb up Pretty good summing up Ralf!  The Jubilee in the UK is a take it or leave it as you please situation isn't it, and different people see different things to celebrate/respect in the situation, but boy isn't it fabulous that people have that choice again!  And for those participating, I feel there must be a wonderful feeling of togetherness and belonging. And what other institution but the monarchy, or better said QEII the only common figurehead most of the British indeed the world has known in their common lifetime, could bring that about?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: