Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QEII Platinum Jubilee  (Read 61999 times)
Celia

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: June 06, 2022, 06:01:49 PM »

Nowadays, when someone significant in the public eye dies, there's a massive outpouring of grief and tributes, which the deceased might not be able to experience (depends on your/their belief system).  I'm glad that she got to see and experience this outpouring of gratitude and admiration for herself.  I'm reminded of Sally Fields' "You like me --you really like me!" but here with humility and almost quiet pride in a job well done.
Mariola

Medium Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: June 06, 2022, 06:06:17 PM »

I have enjoyed the photos to see what everyone is wearing etc etc (generally only Kate looked good) but in reality - and I know my opinion will not be popular - it all went on too long and I understand people cheering someone for being still alive and many have never known another head of state etc but the whole idea of a 'life of service' and 'never putting a foot wrong' that is like a script recited by so many on tv this week, it makes no sense to me. She has had a very privileged life, and I will never understand this mindless adoration of a person and especially when it is transferred to her offsprings and for what. I suppose because I am an atheist I have trouble with it, this worship, because I have never felt it.

I wish her well and I hope she has no pain from the troublesome discs in her back or whatever she suffers. It looked like she said - on the balcony - 'I suppose I'd better wave' and that made me laugh even if I imagined it.

Rather than dragging the Queen, maybe research her life and what she has done for us. For the Commonwealth in particular. Not sure what being an atheist has to do with it. She is admired and revered, not worshipped. She so utterly deserved a four-day party! As for your “I suppose I’d better wave” put-down- it’s hard to dignify it with a response but I will. She was clearly deeply moved. The Queen is never flippant. She looks to have difficulty holding her arm up for a long wave. She is approaching one hundred years on this planet. Feel free to spend the next while insulting her, and then her legacy. But note that you and Scobie are outnumbered by billions!

Hester, I think you are determined to find offence where none is intended, and if I understand it you must not attack another poster.
I insulted nobody, and I don't know who or what a scobie is so your put down is wasted on me.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: June 06, 2022, 06:40:00 PM »

I'm inclined to believe that some of the energy we saw expended over this past weekend was in response to the touch pandemic years and all that isolation. People were overdue for celebration, the same way they were when Elizabeth's wedding cut through the tough post-war years.  Plus there are certain inevitable intimations of mortality as far as the Queen is concerned and, for that matter, because of his own advancing age, Charles as well.

From the perspective of across the pond, it looked like a grand party, with a lot of efforts toward inclusiveness. I just about lost it the first time I saw the Paddington sketch because it was so perfect.  And I suspect we will see less and less of the Queen as the days, weeks, months and -- we hope-- years go by.

I am not of the Queen's vintage, but I am old enough to have seen the coronation on TV, and I find that some of the things that used to be a lot of fun are now more challenging and more frequently fall into the category of ``optional'' activities. May she be able to do all the optional activities that she wants, and may no one challenge her choices to stay home and watch the events on the tube when she feels like it. Goddess only knows, she's earned her rest.
Paulina

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: June 06, 2022, 06:52:58 PM »

The Jubiliee is poignant in so many ways for the people of GB and the Commonwealth. A true celebration of a woman doing her duty for decades, and also wistful in that it's clear she won't be around forever, and is in somewhat failing health, as is not unexpected for someone her age. Soon there will be a passing of the torch or crown. It looked like a cathartic celebration for many reasons--covid, gratitude for the Queen, something fun and spectacularly British, and a clear through line to the next generations of royals. Honestly, I'm glad this happened, because when her funeral happens, this celebration will be in the not terribly distant past, let's hope at least five years. But if not, how wonderful that she got to see the country and other countries turn out. Her message was humble and heartfelt.

If she is alive in five years, would there be a 75th jubilee? Her mother lived quite a long time.

The problem with incompetent, corrupt, fascist government is incompetence, corruption and fascism,  not government (Jerome à Paris - paraphrased)
Gemsheal

Big Member

I make my own memes

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: June 06, 2022, 09:36:42 PM »

I have enjoyed the photos to see what everyone is wearing etc etc (generally only Kate looked good) but in reality - and I know my opinion will not be popular - it all went on too long and I understand people cheering someone for being still alive and many have never known another head of state etc but the whole idea of a 'life of service' and 'never putting a foot wrong' that is like a script recited by so many on tv this week, it makes no sense to me. She has had a very privileged life, and I will never understand this mindless adoration of a person and especially when it is transferred to her offsprings and for what. I suppose because I am an atheist I have trouble with it, this worship, because I have never felt it.

I wish her well and I hope she has no pain from the troublesome discs in her back or whatever she suffers. It looked like she said - on the balcony - 'I suppose I'd better wave' and that made me laugh even if I imagined it.

Beer

I enjoyed parts of this weekend’s celebrations (some more than others), but her 70 years on the throne, while remarkable, and even commendable as being a stable, unchangingly honest person as the head of the Realm, doesn’t blind me to (what I perceive as) the Queen’s flaws.   I think her biggest flaw has been “ostriching”, too much rumination or reluctance, or both, to confront certain people or situations that could have been “dealt with” much sooner.   Too often, she has seemed to need her feet held to the fire before being decisive (I think mostly in familial matters) and I often sense a stubborn streak that might not take advice she doesn’t want to hear, very well.

When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.
~ Helen Keller
Lady Liebe

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: June 06, 2022, 10:03:27 PM »

Cute video of Charles:

Anne is also leaning in on the other side, just off camera.

https://www.tiktok.com/@t...444682501&refer=embed

“Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.”    Stanley Horowitz
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: June 06, 2022, 10:17:57 PM »

Cute video of Charles:

He could not stop laughing
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 10:53:18 PM by Thistle » Logged

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: June 06, 2022, 10:51:25 PM »

Rather than dragging the Queen, maybe research her life and what she has done for us. For the Commonwealth in particular. Not sure what being an atheist has to do with it. She is admired and revered, not worshipped. She so utterly deserved a four-day party! As for your “I suppose I’d better wave” put-down- it’s hard to dignify it with a response but I will. She was clearly deeply moved. The Queen is never flippant. She looks to have difficulty holding her arm up for a long wave. She is approaching one hundred years on this planet. Feel free to spend the next while insulting her, and then her legacy. But note that you and Scobie are outnumbered by billions!

Hester, I think you are determined to find offence where none is intended, and if I understand it you must not attack another poster.
I insulted nobody, and I don't know who or what a scobie is so your put down is wasted on me.

Disagreeing with you strongly and defending the Queen - not ad hominem. Where did I attack you and not the content of your post? I thought it was insensitive.
anneboleyn

Warned
Gigantic Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: June 06, 2022, 10:52:10 PM »

Cute video of Charles:

This is adorable!

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: June 06, 2022, 10:53:55 PM »

For the ones, as me, that were wondering what was the black round thingy on QEII green hat:

https://www.dailymail.co....e-balcony-appearance.html

Queen's sweet tribute to Prince Philip: Her Majesty opted for a 'mourning' black hat pin for Platinum Jubilee balcony appearance a year after her husband's death

In a sweet tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh, the royal added a black mourning pin to her green hat, which she wore front and centre of her vibrant green outfit.

Mourning pins are traditionally worn by members of the royal family following a death.

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
Kayzilla

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: June 06, 2022, 10:59:17 PM »

For the ones, as me, that were wondering what was the black round thingy on QEII green hat:

Queen's sweet tribute to Prince Philip: Her Majesty opted for a 'mourning' black hat pin for Platinum Jubilee balcony appearance a year after her husband's death

In a sweet tribute to the Duke of Edinburgh, the royal added a black mourning pin to her green hat, which she wore front and centre of her vibrant green outfit.

Mourning pins are traditionally worn by members of the royal family following a death.

Interesting, thank you!
anneboleyn

Warned
Gigantic Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: June 06, 2022, 11:01:55 PM »

Even a year later, he's still with her. That's so sweet.

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
CyrilSebastian

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: June 07, 2022, 01:05:33 AM »

The Coronation in a Golden Coach sung by Bob and Alf Pearson in 1953   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSuooN64YGA
Emac0914

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: June 07, 2022, 01:22:28 AM »

Even a year later, he's still with her. That's so sweet.

Agreed - sad he wasn’t here for this great celebration but he probably would have been like HM, only seen at limited events.  Just missing seeing him there at such a big celebration.
SvenskaSarah

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: June 07, 2022, 01:42:53 AM »

Cute video of Charles:

This is adorable!

I relate to Charles so much here- I'm always the one in a group finding something hilarious and not being able to control my laughter. Usually my friends don't find it as funny or wonder if I've taken something to be laughing so much at a seemingly mildly amusing thing!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: