Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronation for King Charles III-- how will it be different?  (Read 5605 times)
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2022, 06:17:01 AM »

Obviously the new king's coronation won't happen for many months. But already I am thinking about how much it's likely to be different from his mother's (which I can remember vividly, BTW).   Given his penchant for simplification and transparency, I am willing to bet a lot of the pomp and circumstances will be eliminated. I wonder if he will even forego the actual crowning and substitute a consecration -- with the crown present-- akin to what the Norwegian monarchs do. I also am speculating that a the roles of the peers -- with the elaborate coronation robes themselves--will be scaled back in favor of larger representation from a broader spectrum of UK society. Also, in light of the economic sufferings of so many people in the UK these days, it would seem politically incorrect to put so much emphasis on tiaras, crowns, and ermine-trimmed robes.

The one thing on which Charles won't stint will be music, I suspect. His music choices for Diana's funeral were impeccable and I am sure that there will be equally wonderful selections for whatever passes for a coronation. I'm really looking forward to that, and, to the music for the queen's funeral as well.

What are your ideas of what a coronation for Charles might look like?

luvcharles

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 06:25:05 AM »

I think it will be day dress and not gowns other than for Camilla and Catherine. They will be the only two with tiaras.

The peers will only be the most senior in each degree (the ones, who since Edward VII) have actually done the homage for their degree while the others kneeled in their places so only five peers with gowns and coronets.

The royal peers will be represented by The Prince of Wales at the homage stage - so no personal homage from either Harry or Andrew so they can both quietly be uninvited as nothing for them to do although I would be disappointed if that means that the Duke of Kent can't pay homage as he is the only living peer who swore personal allegiance to The Queen at her coronation as a 16 year old school boy. Of course the other cousins were there - Richard and Michael were two of her pages for this event and Alexandra was a lovely young princess.

I agree the music will be great and that there will be a lot of representatives from the organisations he has supported. I can also see, other than 'family' a completely Commonwealth based coronation so no representation from foreign countries other than those with personal relationships to Charles e.g. Denmark, Sweden, Spain and Norway. The Belgians are less closely related and the Dutch so far back as to say not related at all.

He will be Crowned absolutely - not a coronation if the monarch isn't crowned.

whiplashhx

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 07:27:46 AM »

I wish it could be pure pomp and circumstance with tiaras and gowns but I don't think it will. I would actually be shocked if it was like that considering everything going on with the economy etc. If he were not to do it I would hope that they would do a semi-televised dinner after the coronation and there would be tiaras and gowns (a state type of dinner i guess you can say) for the guests that came. I know QE had food made for the guests while she took photographs and such, it would be a nice, different touch.
Lady Liebe

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 04:40:26 PM »

I think it will combine many of the elements both Bumbershoot and lc have elucidated.

We shall have to wait and see, but it would be sad for the Duke of Kent not to swear loyalty.

I wonder what tiara Cams will choose. QEII wore The George IV State Diadem, and while other Queen Consorts have worn it, I'm not sure it would be the best choice.

I will put in my sincere wish for no fur trim on any coronation robes. Time to do away with that, and off the crowns too.

“Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.”    Stanley Horowitz
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 04:52:49 PM »

I think it will combine many of the elements both Bumbershoot and lc have elucidated.

We shall have to wait and see, but it would be sad for the Duke of Kent not to swear loyalty.

Why shouldn't he?

I wonder what tiara Cams will choose. QEII wore The George IV State Diadem, and while other Queen Consorts have worn it, I'm not sure it would be the best choice.

I hope for the big one, Camilla used to wear lately. Sorry don't know the name.

I will put in my sincere wish for no fur trim on any coronation robes. Time to do away with that, and off the crowns too.

If Charles climate and animal preaching means anything then I surely expect that he'll put a stop to it.
Lady Liebe

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 04:57:50 PM »

I was referring to this part of luvcharles' post, in case it proves true. It would remove a lot of awkwardness:

The royal peers will be represented by The Prince of Wales at the homage stage - so no personal homage from either Harry or Andrew so they can both quietly be uninvited as nothing for them to do although I would be disappointed if that means that the Duke of Kent can't pay homage as he is the only living peer who swore personal allegiance to The Queen at her coronation as a 16 year old school boy. Of course the other cousins were there - Richard and Michael were two of her pages for this event and Alexandra was a lovely young princess.

“Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.”    Stanley Horowitz
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 05:00:32 PM »

I was referring to this part of luvcharles' post, in case it proves true. It would remove a lot of awkwardness:

I understand. This would indeed be sad..
luvcharles

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 05:42:59 PM »

I also wonder whether it might be possible - if The Duke of Kent isn't up to the full coronation service if they could maybe only bring him in for that part of the ceremony but if everything I have read about him is right it will either be the full ceremony or nothing.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 08:42:52 PM »

Yes, there would be real sweetness in having Eddie Kent be able to swear fealty at whatever form the coronation takes. But I'm afraid the clock is ticking for him, for his duchess and for his sister Alexandra. They truly are the remnants of the Queen's generation.
Emac0914

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 09:47:36 PM »

I think after 70 years, it should have all the pomp and the symbolic fuss it traditionally has.  I’m sure it will be as economical as possible and in accordance with the times while giving the people a once-in-a-lifetime show for their money.  People will flock to London, which will be good for the economy but costly on the crowd control and security.

Hope we see lots of the beautiful jewels and tiaras, gowns.  Maybe a scaled back ceremony with day dress and a really nice ball for all the fuss, etc so it’s a balance on the cost.

I do hope we see Charles’ whole family, siblings, children, grandchildren, etc.  Despite being non-working, H&M and Andrew are royal family members and should be there, minus military uniforms/affiliations, just there as son and brother.
anneboleyn

Warned
Gigantic Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 11:29:33 PM »

Agreed - I hope they go all out. This is a pretty cool experience, although I wouldn’t say once in a lifetime. Majority of people will see William become king as well.

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
jolene

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2022, 12:07:39 AM »

As far as the fur trimmed robes, aren't the robes already made and passed down from royal or aristocrat to the next title holder?
genegal43

Gigantic Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2022, 12:13:09 AM »

Please go all out!  Please go all out!  I know I'll probably see William's coronation but I still want to go all out!

Need a documentary for the classroom?  Hit me up here: https://historydoctube.weebly.com/
Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2022, 12:18:31 AM »

How will it be different? First and foremost, Major Jonny will be there.  Swoon

Edinburgh today:

genegal43

Gigantic Member

All I got was a Nancy Pearl Action Figure...

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2022, 12:26:14 AM »

How will it be different? First and foremost, Major Jonny will be there.  Swoon

Edinburgh today:

We can all use a Major Jonny break!

Need a documentary for the classroom?  Hit me up here: https://historydoctube.weebly.com/
Genealogy: shrinking the world one person at a time!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: