Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Camilla - New & Events  (Read 4802 times)
anneboleyn

Warned
Gigantic Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2022, 12:22:38 AM »

If Charles is already declared the king why is a coronation necessary? Or I should say why is a big event necessary?

If they stop doing traditional ceremonies, then why bother with a monarchy at all, really.

“And she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.” - Annabelle M. Ramos
Kayzilla

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2022, 12:28:56 AM »

If Charles is already declared the king why is a coronation necessary? Or I should say why is a big event necessary?

If they stop doing traditional ceremonies, then why bother with a monarchy at all, really.

I think it's kind of like taking an oath of office, as a president or prime minister might do. The president/PM is already elected/chosen, but then they do some version of being "sworn in," officially.
luvcharles

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2022, 08:03:59 AM »

It isn't as seen with the fact that neither Edward V nor Edward VIII ever had a coronation but were still the monarchs.

It was necessary in the early middle ages as it was really only when crowned that the person became the monarch which is why the coronations were often held so quickly but now it is largely symbolic.

It is a tradition ... one that goes back well over a 1000 years and always has been a big issue. The homage was very important as it tied the peer to the monarch in a very public way but the last full homage was at Queen Victoria's coronation.

The UK also knows that a big coronation will bring in a lot of tourists and thus a lot of pounds as well as showcase the UK at its best.

I have heard a number of Aussies say they want to visit the Scottish highlands now after seeing the drive from Balmoral to Edinburgh. They didn't realise how beautiful is it. Others have said they would like to go to Cardiff and Belfast due to the images from Charles driving through those cities.
Athena

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2022, 08:13:09 AM »

The Coronation is a religious rite, conducted by the Church of England.

... The essential elements of the coronation have remained largely unchanged for the past thousand years. The sovereign is first presented to, and acclaimed by, the people. He or she then swears an oath to uphold the law and the Church. Following that, the monarch is anointed with holy oil, invested with regalia, and crowned, before receiving the homage of his or her subjects. ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/...on_of_the_British_monarch
A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2022, 08:52:22 AM »

Probably because the English do pageantry better than anyone. A coronation is both symbolic and includes fealty swearing. It's historical and this monarchy is nothing if not historical, and it gives a through-line from monarch to monarch visibly for the population. Plus, trotting out the exquisite jewels is always great for the eyes.

Charles being Charles will probably want to have something that is lower key than his mother's coronation, when support for the monarchy was very high and people supportive of the young post-war queen, but substantial enough to not downplay the very significant role he now has.

By England I take it you mean the UK? As taxpayers in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland also pay for the monarchy through their taxes, the “King/Queen of England” references can be a bit annoying.

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
Lady Willoughby

Warned
Humongous Member

Circa Regna Tonat

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2022, 01:55:04 PM »

It isn't as seen with the fact that neither Edward V nor Edward VIII ever had a coronation but were still the monarchs.

It was necessary in the early middle ages as it was really only when crowned that the person became the monarch which is why the coronations were often held so quickly but now it is largely symbolic.

It is a tradition ... one that goes back well over a 1000 years and always has been a big issue. The homage was very important as it tied the peer to the monarch in a very public way but the last full homage was at Queen Victoria's coronation.

The UK also knows that a big coronation will bring in a lot of tourists and thus a lot of pounds as well as showcase the UK at its best.

I have heard a number of Aussies say they want to visit the Scottish highlands now after seeing the drive from Balmoral to Edinburgh. They didn't realise how beautiful is it. Others have said they would like to go to Cardiff and Belfast due to the images from Charles driving through those cities.

Even my husband wants to visit Scotland after watching some of the drive from Balmoral.

It was an amazing last act of service on the part of HM, I think.

Such a beautiful place.

Paulina

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2022, 02:43:29 PM »

Probably because the English do pageantry better than anyone. A coronation is both symbolic and includes fealty swearing. It's historical and this monarchy is nothing if not historical, and it gives a through-line from monarch to monarch visibly for the population. Plus, trotting out the exquisite jewels is always great for the eyes.

Charles being Charles will probably want to have something that is lower key than his mother's coronation, when support for the monarchy was very high and people supportive of the young post-war queen, but substantial enough to not downplay the very significant role he now has.

By England I take it you mean the UK? As taxpayers in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland also pay for the monarchy through their taxes, the “King/Queen of England” references can be a bit annoying.

So true! I continue to get  Great Britain and the UK mixed up, even though I’ve looked up the differences countless times. Doesn’t stick. Yes, you are right. I assume pageantry in Scotland, Wales and NI is just as lavish.

The problem with incompetent, corrupt, fascist government is incompetence, corruption and fascism,  not government (Jerome à Paris - paraphrased)
hrhpita

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2022, 03:14:22 AM »

Even my husband wants to visit Scotland after watching some of the drive from Balmoral.

It was an amazing last act of service on the part of HM, I think.

Such a beautiful place.

I think so as well. HLM was said to "speak" with her clothes, accessories, and surroundings  - so I wouldn't doubt this is what happened (if the Royal train was not possible).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: