Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not to be totally cynical, but . . . .  (Read 2063 times)
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2022, 11:58:09 PM »

I am betting the Queen's funeral and all the ceremonies hither and yon in the United Kingdom prove to be a huge boost to tourism in the coming year. i know that there are now parts of the Scottish highlands I would really like to see, as well as the ancient parts of Edinburgh, and I'd also love to spend a couple of hours gaping at the fan traceries above the pillars in Westminster Cathedral.  i wonder if the tourism dollars -- and pounds and euros and yen and krone -- will help offset the expenses of the funeral.
PruNordstrom

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 05:08:02 AM »

So, a parting gift of curiousity to citizens of her realm I think.

The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.
luvcharles

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 05:42:29 AM »

I am betting the Queen's funeral and all the ceremonies hither and yon in the United Kingdom prove to be a huge boost to tourism in the coming year. i know that there are now parts of the Scottish highlands I would really like to see, as well as the ancient parts of Edinburgh, and I'd also love to spend a couple of hours gaping at the fan traceries above the pillars in Westminster Cathedral.  i wonder if the tourism dollars -- and pounds and euros and yen and krone -- will help offset the expenses of the funeral.

If you do get the chance to go make sure you go to Westminster Abbey where the funeral was held. It is amazing and so much history. It was founded in 1066 and is where The late Queen and Prince Philip married, where all monarchs since William I have been crowned and where William and Catherine married.

Westminster Cathedral is an interesting building but as only built in the 1890s a lot younger without the history and very few links to the BRF other than where The Duchess of Kent was received into the Roman Catholic church.

Hester
Board Helper
Warned
Most Exalted Member

Samoa Samoa

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 05:54:09 AM »

I am betting the Queen's funeral and all the ceremonies hither and yon in the United Kingdom prove to be a huge boost to tourism in the coming year. i know that there are now parts of the Scottish highlands I would really like to see, as well as the ancient parts of Edinburgh, and I'd also love to spend a couple of hours gaping at the fan traceries above the pillars in Westminster Cathedral.  i wonder if the tourism dollars -- and pounds and euros and yen and krone -- will help offset the expenses of the funeral.

Not cynical at all! Iím sure the Queen would have loved to know her legacy would include a revival in the love of Scotland. Iíve just bought a book on the Scottish Enlightenment!
Thistle

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 11:57:57 AM »

If you can, as LuvCharles recommended, visit the Westminster Abbey. It is absolutelly amazing, I completely lost track of time there, totally lost in the history.

Another one I can recommend is Windsor Castle. It is an extraordinary place! I spent lot of time inside the castle and visiting St. George's chapel. Eugenie's wedding dress was on exhibition, which was a bonus. And The Queen was actually in residence, so I can say that once in my life I was in the same building as her Smiley  If you go to Windsor, spend time the surroundings also. It is a magical place. And the village itself is adorable.

Reading can seriously damage your ignorance
TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 02:16:25 PM »

I wholeheartedly recommend Westminster Abbey and Windsor Castle especially St. George's Chapel. The architecture and the history is splendid.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 02:52:40 PM »

I'd recommend doing the Highgrove Gardens tour

Cool your jets, everyone
anneboleyn

Warned
Gigantic Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 03:01:41 PM »

Hever castle!!!

ďAnd she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.Ē - Annabelle M. Ramos
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »

I honestly wonder how the mystique of a working monarchy attributes to tourism. Of course people are always interested in castles and palaces and crowns and bling. But countries who have done away withthe monarchies are still interesting to tourists.
The indeed gorgeous photos and pictures of the wonderful country side will have a lot of people day dreaming of coming for a visit.
However the economic future of Europe and their travellers is, shall we say a tad uncertain? We are heading into a very difficult time, with energy prizes going thru the roof, with people having to pay an unrivalled extra for everything including gas, energy, heating, nutrition, clothes etc, without earning more.
Vacations, I believe might be going on the wayside. Esp. vacations to places like Scotland, where the landscape is gorgeous but the weather rather... not.
Or perhaps with summers getting unbearable hot, people will flock to cooler places... Who knows.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
cottesmore girl

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 05:20:46 PM »

Hever castle!!!

Definitely Hever CAstle....stunning. And your ancestral home 'anneboleyn' I believe!! (I was there 2 days ago)
cottesmore girl

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2022, 05:23:03 PM »

I can add Arundel Castle in West Sussex to the list. Amazing...and the home of the man who was in charge of the funeral arrangements and who will be overseeing the Coronation. The Duke of Norfolk
anneboleyn

Warned
Gigantic Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 06:04:05 PM »

Hever castle!!!

Definitely Hever CAstle....stunning. And your ancestral home 'anneboleyn' I believe!! (I was there 2 days ago)

Yes! It's the childhood home of Anne Boleyn and my #1 destination desire. To walk where Anne walked... thrilling!

ďAnd she will keep coming back to life, over and over again, because beneath the skin of this gentle human lives a warrior unstoppable.Ē - Annabelle M. Ramos
Celia

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 06:21:21 PM »

I wholeheartedly recommend Westminster Abbey and Windsor Castle especially St. George's Chapel. The architecture and the history is splendid.

The memorial to Princess Charlotte of Wales is just incredibly moving.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 07:41:23 PM »

Rats, I meant Westminster Abbey, not Westminster Cathedral. See what happens when we folks on this side of the pond open our mouths? So much about the UK is unknown to me. The only place I've ever been was the seventh level of hell, also known as the hall at Heathrow that keeps international passengers prisoners until we get on our connecting flights.  Always wanted to to spend some time in the UK, particularly the northern reaches as I'm a lover of cooler weather and lots of natural scenery. And I'd spend a week at the V&A. And here's a weird one, Ever since I saw ``Billy Elliot,'' I've always wanted to see that very strange-looking travelling bridge on which he rode. I just can't quite imagine how it works.
A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 07:52:29 PM »

Rats, I meant Westminster Abbey, not Westminster Cathedral. See what happens when we folks on this side of the pond open our mouths? So much about the UK is unknown to me. The only place I've ever been was the seventh level of hell, also known as the hall at Heathrow that keeps international passengers prisoners until we get on our connecting flights.  Always wanted to to spend some time in the UK, particularly the northern reaches as I'm a lover of cooler weather and lots of natural scenery. And I'd spend a week at the V&A. And here's a weird one, Ever since I saw ``Billy Elliot,'' I've always wanted to see that very strange-looking travelling bridge on which he rode. I just can't quite imagine how it works.
The Transporter Bridge is in Middlesbrough.  If you were to visit that, you wouldn't be a million miles away (about 70 miles) from Alnwick Castle which was used in the Harry Potter films and Downton Abbey, amongst others.

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: