Berlinske has a photo gallerie of Schackenborg's past 20 years
Originally called Møgeltønderhus (Møgeltønder House) the former stronghold on the site was the property of the Roman Catholic
bishops of Ribe.
It served as protection against the Frisians in the south, and guarded the waterway that joined Vidå to Tønder.
During the Reformation in Denmark the mansion was confiscated from the Church by the Danish crown.
Count Hans von Schack, a Schleswig nobleman and soldier was given Møgeltønderhus as a token of King Frederick III of
Denmark's gratitude for his military achievements in the Northern Wars. Von Schack demolished most of the mansion in 1661
due to its bad condition, building the more impressive, baroque style "Schackenborg Castle".
In 1680 a street was laid out from the manor house, leading toward the local church. For eleven generations the Castle
belonged to the von Schack dynasty before reverting to the Danish Royal Family again in 1978.
Schackenborg and the extensive estate was transferred to Prince Joachim, the younger son of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.
In 1995 it was announced that Prince Joachim and then-Princess Alexandra would finally be moving into the residence. For
their wedding a national collection was made, known as the "Nation's Gift". Several million Danish kroner were raised. Prince
Joachim announced that the money would be spent on a restoration programme for the castle.
The castle and the surrounding park are not open to the general public, however guided tours of the gardens are sometimes
available during the summer.