Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Religion & Royals  (Read 9484 times)
lynda

Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2009, 05:06:25 PM »

Which Royals attend Church weekly ?
Which Royals truly practice their Faith ?
Daughter of Struense

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 05:41:28 PM »

Which Royals attend Church weekly ?
Which Royals truly practice their Faith ?
Well, I know Queen M. attends church every
sunday. It is a wild stab in the dark, but I have
a feeling that sums it up for the Danish Royal Family.  Blush

DoS
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:19:20 PM »

I think this is a really personal question that is very difficult to answer; as royals most of them have to attend church whether they truly believe in it or not.

I believe QEII attends church every Sunday. King Abdullah II attends Friday prayers quite often and performs Umrah fairly regulalry, the same goes for Quen Rania who has said in the past she prays 5 times a day.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
BWpunisher

Gigantic Member

Canada Canada

HRH Clown Prince Dumbledork of Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:15:16 PM »

Apparently Frederik and Mary "attend" church every Sunday....

BRF Section Trolls:
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:31:20 PM »

They do? I didn't realise....

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
jewel

Big Member

HRH Crown Princess Mary of Trademark

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 12:50:22 AM »

Apparently Frederik and Mary "attend" church every Sunday....

An opportunity to meet paparazzi? Wink
lynda

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:30:38 PM »

I believe Haakon & Mette-Marit are regular Church goers.
What about W-A & Maxima ?
Felipe & Letizia ?
Victoria & Daniel ?
the Countess Alexandra attends with Nikolai & Felix --- no idea about Martin ?
??Joachim & Marie ??
Queen Beatrix Huh? 
King Carl & Silvia ??
Ki ng Harald & Sonja ?
Pavlos & Marie-Chantel ?
zinzen

Gigantic Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »

The Belgian royals are strong catholics and they attend church.  I don't know about Laurent and Claire

In reality, hope is the worst of all evils, it prolongs the torments of man. F.Nietzche
anirac

Medium Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 07:15:19 PM »

I believe Haakon & Mette-Marit are regular Church goers.
What about W-A & Maxima ?
Felipe & Letizia ?
Victoria & Daniel ?
the Countess Alexandra attends with Nikolai & Felix --- no idea about Martin ?
??Joachim & Marie ??
Queen Beatrix Huh? 
King Carl & Silvia ??
Ki ng Harald & Sonja ?
Pavlos & Marie-Chantel ?

Except of Maxima and Marilene (at the moment I am not sure about Aimee or Anita) all Dutch Royals are Calvinists. Maxima and Marilene stayed Catholics after their wedding.

Alexander: I don't know how he handles it now, but just a few years ago, Carel ter Linden (dominie of many important religious events in the last years (wedding of Alex and Max, funeral of Claus and Bernhard) and ex-dominie of the Klosterkerk, the "home" church of the Dutch Royals) said that they had a bible group for many years, established by the Prince and some friends under the leading of ter Linden. The group met weekly and was very important to Alex. Ter Linden told that once Alex apologized, because he could not attend the meeting (he met the Dutch troops in Eritrea ), but in the end anyhow he managed to take part. But I have no idea if this group still exists.

Beatrix: She tries to participate for the church service reglualry at the Klosterkerk in Den Haag every sunday. Earlier when Claus was still alive, they always attend at the church together once a month when there was a Bach "concert" (you could hardly call it a concert, but the music while the service, was just Bach) while the service. They/ she never sat/sits in the front row, but somewhere in the middle. Just like the "normal" churchgoer. Ter Linden also spoke about the religious view of the Queen and he said that she has a strong faith in that sense that she search for someone above her. Someone she is responsible to. He said she is in a very lonely position (means there is no legitimate position above the head of state), so there are desicions in which she cannot ask somebody for advice and then God is the only solution. (I hope this does not sound confusing  Smiley ) You also could learn a lot about her faith if you read her christmas speeches.

I owe so much to my wife.You cannot imagine what I'm feeling.It's fabulous.Thank you,Beatrix.

Perhaps history will bear out that the choice of my partner was my best decision.
Leesa
Banned
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

"Mary who?" asks Marsha!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 08:20:59 AM »

I think it's impossible to say how relgious the merry mob are in any given vountry, as I don't think that attending church services means deep faith. We cannot see what happens in these people's hearts.
dKaren

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 08:28:53 AM »

I don't believe Freddles is a regular Church goer. He couldn't even manage to stay until the end at the Christmas day or Easter Sunday each year.
Leesa
Banned
Humongous Member

Australia Australia

"Mary who?" asks Marsha!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 08:36:06 AM »

I don't think Freddo and ME go to church regularly either. Christmas and Easter, yes. Like probably most of us.
Ugly Betty

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 01:58:14 PM »

I think a lof of royals who go to church every week probably do so out of habit or because of public expectations - especially those countries whose HOS is the lay head of the church.
dwi

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »

I can't imagine F&M going to church regularly, muchless at all.  Besides, M doesn't have to go anymore; she's had all of her prayers answered.  Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 05:42:13 PM »

I agree, as the head of the State and the highest rank in church, the souvereigns and heirs are somewhat expected to show some interest.
Imagine QEII publically announcing that it is some kind of "opium of the people" and she can't really be bothered.  Yikes
They all (apart from some of the younger generation) seem to succeed in walking a fine line: don't be too religious or worse believe in spirits and alternative religions: shades of Wilhelmina and Juliana of the Netherlands and Alix of Russia and in the younger generation the norwegian princesses with Maertha conversing with angels and MM being a tad too interested in psalms and music.... but on the other hand don't be too indifferent as not to put off people with faith :I think that Freds inability to stay thru a complete service (and we are not talking about those extremely long orthodox rites) angers a lot of religious people.
QEII is a great example: she attends ceremonies and services on sundays spend at Balmoral or Sandringham, as is/was custom in her generation and she occasionally mentions the heavenly help and the relief and support her faith gives her, but she does not overdo it. How much church she really attends to is left to your own guess, as she is said to pray in her own chapel in Buckplace and Windsor (now we can believe that or not...)
Religion is not so very much mentioned in everyday life here in Europe, quite opposed to the States, where the heavens are called out at every turn. (Maybe this is changing here in Germany as well, as I was quite surprised to hear the chancellor say, that her prayers were with the families of the victims of the school shooting, it used to be "our thoughts" not "our Prayers")

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: