Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 222   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutch Royal News  (Read 603428 times)
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3240 on: August 24, 2020, 02:39:57 AM »

The picture with the restaurant owner also ended up in NL and there were accusations of WA & Max not complying to the Corona rules (social distancing and so)

https://amp.nos.nl/artike...antie-in-griekenland.html
cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3241 on: August 24, 2020, 06:06:50 AM »

Maxima looks great! They look like they were having a good time
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3242 on: August 24, 2020, 09:11:46 AM »

I thought that, its quite jarring that they are having such a fab time overseas at the moment, especially when most other royals seem to just be staying at home.

But then, when I thought of it I realised that unlike many other RFs the Dutch don't seem to have a holiday home in their own country do they?

The British have Balmoral and Sandringham
The Danish have Grasten and numerous others (as well as the French chateaux)
The Norwegians have a winter cabin and summer holiday home
The Spanish have Marivent Palace in Mallorca
The Belgians have Ciergnon Castle and / or Fenffe Castle
The Swedes have Solliden

Luxembourg, Monaco and Liechtenstein are of course too small to have a "holiday home" in country but I wonder why the Dutch don't have something somewhere?

Indeed, they don't have a "holiday home" in the Netherlands (as far as we know). For the Dutch royals we have seen holiday homes in Argentina, Italy and Greece a.o. An option in Mozambique had been aborted, mainly due to comments.

But in the past, Het Loo Palace in Apeldoorn was a so-called hunting lodge. The so-called holiday / leisure house. The palace was the summer residence of the Dutch stadholders and kings from 1686 to 1975. Wilhelmina also  used the palace as her summer palace and after her abdication moved into an apartment in the western outer pavilion

Princess Margriet and her husband Prof. Pieter van Vollenhoven and their four sons were the last residents of the palace. They lived in the East Wing from 1967 to 1975. They moved to Huis Het Loo (House Het Loo) in Apeldoorn, which is their private property, next to the Palace.

Paleis Het Loo is a former royal palace and now a national museum, located on the outskirts of Apeldoorn. Paleis Het Loo is owned by the State of the Netherlands. The management and maintenance of the buildings is carried out by the Paleis Het Loo National Museum Foundation.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3243 on: August 24, 2020, 12:11:43 PM »

The picture with the restaurant owner also ended up in NL and there were accusations of WA & Max not complying to the Corona rules (social distancing and so)

https://amp.nos.nl/artike...antie-in-griekenland.html

https://www.nu.nl/achterk...gel-tijdens-vakantie.html

Royal couple apologize for not complying with the waiver rule during vacation

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima apologized on Monday for not complying with the 1.5 meter rule when posing with a restaurant owner during their holiday in Greece. The photo was leaked on Sunday via RTL News.

"A photo appeared in the media in which we keep too little distance. In the spontaneity of the moment we did not pay close attention to it," they write in a statement on Twitter. "Of course we should have done that. Because compliance with corona rules is also essential when on holiday to get the virus under control."

The photo shows that the king has a mouth mask in his hand and is standing close to the man together with Máxima. In Greece, too, people must keep a distance of 1.5 meters from each other to prevent the spread of the corona virus.

Inquiries from RTL News revealed that the man with whom the royal couple posed to be one of the owners of a restaurant on the Greek island of Milos. According to the maker of the photo, with whom the medium spoke, the photo was intended for a private album.

Willem-Alexander and Máxima are currently still on holiday on Milos. The Government Information Service (RVD) initially did not want to respond to the photo, because, according to the spokesmen of the royal family, it concerned "a private situation".

https://nos.nl/artikel/23...egels-moeten-naleven.html

King about photo: 'Should have complied with corona rules'

In a Twitter message, King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima responded to the commotion that has arisen about a holiday photo. It shows that the royal couple, on holiday in Greece, poses with a man, according to RTL News, a restaurant owner on the island of Milos. The three are close to each other.

King and queen write in the message that "in the spontaneity of the moment" they did not pay close attention to the distance. "Of course we should have done that. Because compliance with corona rules is also essential when on holiday to get the virus under control."

Twitterers generally respond to the photo opportunity with understanding. "It can happen to anyone", "Such a moment can be captured by anyone", "Fortunately you are only human", can be read in the comments below the tweet.

Reporter Royal House Kysia Hekster called the posing 'awkward'. “The king is aware like no other that everything he does or does not do is under a magnifying glass. He was taught that from an early age.

The Twitter message of WA & Max (in Dutch):
https://twitter.com/konin...tatus/1297816492512354305

Rhoughly translated as:

"A photo appeared in the media in which we keep too little distance. In the spontaneity of the moment, we did not pay attention to that. Of course we should have. Because compliance with corona rules is also essential on holiday to get the virus under it "-WA & Máxima

« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 12:17:56 PM by Principessa » Logged
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #3244 on: August 24, 2020, 05:48:13 PM »

I thought that, its quite jarring that they are having such a fab time overseas at the moment, especially when most other royals seem to just be staying at home.

But then, when I thought of it I realised that unlike many other RFs the Dutch don't seem to have a holiday home in their own country do they?

The Swedes have Solliden

Luxembourg, Monaco and Liechtenstein are of course too small to have a "holiday home" in country but I wonder why the Dutch don't have something somewhere?

I think they simply don't care. If they had wanted they could've surely found something nice to stay in the Netherlands.
Pomme

Gigantic Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #3245 on: August 25, 2020, 10:51:20 AM »

The Swedes have Solliden

Indeed, they don't have a "holiday home" in the Netherlands (as far as we know). For the Dutch royals we have seen holiday homes in Argentina, Italy and Greece a.o. An option in Mozambique had been aborted, mainly due to comments.

But in the past, Het Loo Palace in Apeldoorn was a so-called hunting lodge. The so-called holiday / leisure house. The palace was the summer residence of the Dutch stadholders and kings from 1686 to 1975. Wilhelmina also  used the palace as her summer palace and after her abdication moved into an apartment in the western outer pavilion

Princess Margriet and her husband Prof. Pieter van Vollenhoven and their four sons were the last residents of the palace. They lived in the East Wing from 1967 to 1975. They moved to Huis Het Loo (House Het Loo) in Apeldoorn, which is their private property, next to the Palace.

Paleis Het Loo is a former royal palace and now a national museum, located on the outskirts of Apeldoorn. Paleis Het Loo is owned by the State of the Netherlands. The management and maintenance of the buildings is carried out by the Paleis Het Loo National Museum Foundation.

Since I live next to Paleis Het Loo, I'd like to add that behind the palace there's the 'hunting lodge' (jachtslot) Het Oude Loo (Old Loo). BTW Loo means forest, woods.

It's Party Central for the Oranges, and since it can be reached completely unseen, and far enough from other houses/people, we have no idea how many parties the family holds there. I assume they don't actually own the place, but they are the only ones that may use it. Before Wax became king, he invited the other crown princes/princesses there for a weekend.
But a old fun house with a moat with a black swan and a tea house is not a holiday home. They 'have' Bea's boat, a beautiful 50 ft lemsteraak, De groene draeck (green dragon) but there's a bit of an ongoing controversy because maintenance is very costly. They might well have some property in Friesland, which is a nice place for holidaying. I know Bea and her sisters own quite a few houses/buildings in our neighbourhood alone according to the property register. Who knows what else they've got.

I cannot really think of a place/area in The Netherlands where there are landscapes similar to the ones around the RF holiday homes you mentioned. The great outdoors are non-existent here; there's always a neighbour or a village. Our coast entire coast is CRAMMED, and the beaches are public space and have free access unless it's a bird reserve.

Over here, ppl with a bit of money to spare buy a holiday/weekend home in a resort/holiday home park (we have literally thousands of them, a bit like the Datcha/datsja concept in Russia; the houses are tiny but they have a garden and there's usually a pool on the park), if they have a bit more to spare, they'd acquire some property on one of the lakes incl a sailboat or a large and fancy sailing ship in Friesland for the weekends, a nice villa with pool in either France (need not be on the coast, but it helps) or the Marche/Tuscany/Umbria for spring and summer, a chalet in preferably the Swiss Alps (or France if you prefer Avoriaz et environs to Gstaad or Verbier or St Moritz).

The Netherlands is a small country - travel 500 miles and you're either reached or passed Bruxelles, Paris, London, Berlin, Kopenhagen, Berne and Prague. Travel a thousand and you're in (or past) Vienna, Oslo, Rome, Barcelona, (almost) Madrid, Zagreb, Budapest and Warszaw. Going abroad for even a weekend trip is a completely normal thing for a large part of the population. Going shopping for a day in Germany is even normal for where I live (about an hour's drive from the border). So the DuRF having their holdiday homes abroad is kind of a non-issue over here. Italy, Greece, in Max' home country, all fine. However the mess with the villa in Mozambique was too much and so away it went.

As for the not social distancing - they've publicly apologised. Fwiw. Quite a few ppl don't socially distance when they're outside. It's becoming a bit of a problem here, and measures have become a bit stricter. Schools in one part of the country (incl Amsterdam, now a hotspot) started a week ago, this week is the second part (the South, where corona had a much bigger impact than elsewhere in the country) has started, and The middle (incl us, and Rotterdam (another hotspot) will start next week.
Primary education was back to sort of normal before the summer, Secondary will have quite a few measures, a lot of it focused on masks and ventilation. We'll have to see if there is a surge in detected cases in those regions in a few weeks. I'm expecting they'll return to (partial) online lessons again, to reduce exposure. At least the kids here may benefit from being the last to go back to school. It's a bit weird. Junior sports competitions are restarting, all with social distancing for adults, we'll see where this leads us.

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3246 on: August 25, 2020, 01:09:13 PM »

https://www.nu.nl/achterk...lia-alexia-en-ariane.html

Royal Family shares new photos of princesses Amalia, Alexia and Ariane

The Royal House shared new portrait photos of the three princesses on Tuesday. Amalia, Alexia and Ariane all pose for the camera on their own.

In this new photo, 16-year-old Amalia is wearing the dress she was wearing during the photo opportunity prior to the family's summer vacation. (Photo: RVD / Martijn Beekman)

Princess Alexia is dressed in a white dress from Sandro Paris, a brand she wears more often and in which her older sister and mother have also been seen. The fifteen-year-old princess combines the garment with three necklaces and several bracelets. (Photo: RVD / Martijn Beekman)

Princess Ariane, like her eldest sister, wears the same dress as during the photo opportunity before the holidays. It has not been disclosed when the photos were taken except that it was in July, but this could indicate that it may have been just before or after the session. (Photo: RVD / Martijn Beekman)
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #3247 on: August 25, 2020, 06:21:47 PM »

As beautiful as the Dutch royal jewels are I think these pretty young ladies are the real royal jewels. I can't believe how stunning Amalia has become
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3248 on: September 10, 2020, 04:38:40 PM »

https://nos.nl/artikel/23...-prinsjesdag-te-zien.html

Gouden Koets goes to the museum, which will not be seen on Prinsjesdag next year

The Gouden Koets will not return to the Royal Stables in The Hague next year after its restoration, but will be on display in the Amsterdam Museum from June to November. The Government Information Service (RVD) has announced this.

Whether the carriage will be used by the head of state again on Budget Day is still unclear. "That is the big question", said Royal House reporter Kysia Hekster on NPO Radio 1. "I do not expect it, but the official decision has not yet been taken."

In recent years, the carriage has come under fire for alleged racism on the side panel 'Tribute to the colonies'. It shows a white woman on a throne surrounded by dark-skinned people bowing before her and laying gifts at her feet.

The carriage is owned by the Royal Family. King Willem-Alexander said last summer that the controversial 'slave panel' will not be removed. "It is part of the Dutch cultural heritage."

According to Hekster, in addition to the controversial panel, there are also other reasons for not using the carriage anymore on Budget Day. "It is an art object that is being restored for a few million dollars. Is it obvious to drive it through the rain? Besides, it is controversial. It only takes one person to think of a can of paint on it and the restoration can start again. "

Public program
The carriage has been restored for years. It was given to Queen Wilhelmina by the inhabitants of Amsterdam in 1898, when she was inaugurated at the age of 18. Many Amsterdammers have contributed to it. The cushions are embroidered by the orphans from the Amsterdam Burgerweeshuis. The Amsterdam Museum is now located in that building.

The museum is already starting a public program this autumn, which will include time for a discussion about the panel and the Dutch colonial past.

The Golden Coach will be on display in a special glass housing in the courtyard of the museum. The history and function of the carriage is discussed in six museum rooms. "This also pays attention to different perspectives on history", the RVD writes.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3249 on: September 10, 2020, 04:40:29 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/...olden_Coach_(Netherlands)

The Golden Coach (Dutch: Gouden Koets) is a coach owned and used by the Dutch royal family. The Gold Coach is used every year to carry the Dutch monarch from the Noordeinde Palace to the Ridderzaal, both in The Hague, in order to deliver the Speech from the Throne or the wedding of the Prince of Orange or the Princess of Orange.

The coach is made of teak wood, much of which is covered in gold leaf. It is decorated with paintings by Nicolaas van der Waay and various symbolic ornaments. The coach was built in Dutch Renaissance style. It is pulled by eight horses when the reigning monarch is being carried; only six horses when other members of the royal family are travelling in the coach. Queen Wilhelmina wanted to be able to stand upright in the coach, which explains the bent form of the coach's roof. This increased height of the coach has made it more difficult to drive.

Queen Wilhelmina received the Gold Coach at her 1898 investiture as a tribute from the citizens of Amsterdam. The coach was designed and built by the Spijker brothers. Because Queen Wilhelmina wished not to receive gifts on the day of her inauguration on September 6, 1898 she actually took receipt of the Golden Coach the following day.

The vehicle was first used on the occasion of the marriage of Queen Wilhelmina and Prince Hendrik on February 7, 1901. Since 1903 it has mainly been used once a year, in The Hague, on the third Tuesday in September, Prinsjesdag, on the occasion of the Monarch's Address. In 1974 however the coach was not used for security reasons, due to the French Embassy siege.

Other occasions when the carriage has been used are:

-the wedding of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard (The Hague, 1937)
-the baptism of Queen Beatrix (1938)
-the inauguration of Queen Juliana (Amsterdam, 1948)
-the wedding of Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus (Amsterdam, 1966)
-the wedding of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima (Amsterdam, 2002)

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3250 on: September 10, 2020, 04:50:08 PM »

https://nos.nl/artikel/23...besluit-gouden-koets.html

Disappointment and relief about the Golden Coach decision

The Golden Coach will go to a museum next year and that news has led to many reactions. The carriage has come under fire in recent years for alleged racism on the side panel 'Tribute to the colonies'.

And with the announcement that the carriage will be moved to the Amsterdam Museum from June to November 2021, it was immediately trending again on social media.

'Step forward'
It is unclear whether the carriage will still be used officially after 2021. If it is up to Nugah Shrestha, the carriage will remain in the museum. "I'm amazed that it seems to have worked out so quickly," said Shrestha, co-initiator of a petition to get the carriage into a slavery museum. The petition has now been signed 7,802 times.

"I think this decision is a good step forward, but it is not yet permanent. It shows that the royal family is working on this and is listening to sounds from society", Shrestha refers to the anti-racism demonstrations at home and abroad. .

'Unfortunately'
Royal family fan Oscar Meijer thinks it is a shame that the large Golden Coach is no longer running. On Prince's Day, he is often one of the first along the route taken by the royal couple. "This was to be expected and we have to accept it. The whole discussion had made it impossible to use the carriage anymore."

That discussion concerns the aforementioned side panel on the gilded carriage. It shows a white woman on a throne surrounded by dark-skinned people bowing before her and laying gifts at her feet.

One finds it racist and a glorification of the colonial past, while the other sees the carriage as a national symbol that belongs to a tradition that must be preserved.

"We respect the king's decision," says Pieter Verhoeve, chairman of the Royal Association of Orange Associations. "But to say now that it should never take to the streets again, it does not have to come that far in our opinion."

'Rutte allows himself to be blackmailed'
Verhoeve, also mayor of Gouda, emphasizes that the carriage is part of the collective memory. He thinks it is better to explain why the vehicle was made that way, instead of not using it anymore. "In Noordeinde Palace there is an Indian room, a gift from the colonies. We will not remove that either, so where do you draw the line?"

Martin Bos, Zeeland Member of Parliament for Forum for Democracy, says on Twitter that he is strongly against the decision. "The pusher did it." PVV leader Wilders agrees: "Rutte again allows himself to be blackmailed by left-wing anti-racism terror."

Nugah Shrestha understands that part of the population feels that something is being taken from them. "There are people who feel attacked that the carriage is now going to a museum. But I think it is a new beginning and actually brings people together. Because some feel pain with the statues on the side of that carriage."

The discussion has also been going on for years. In 2011 the SP and GroenLinks proposed to remove the panel. "Good news, the Gouden Koets, a product from the colonial past, does indeed belong in a museum," tweeted SP MP Sadet Karabulut.

Into the country to gauge opinions
The Amsterdam Museum is also working hard on the debate about the carriage. From October, residents throughout the Netherlands will be interviewed about their knowledge and opinion about the Golden Coach. That information is used for the exhibition of the carriage.

"It is a pity that he will not be driving for the time being", says royal lover Meijer, "because he is very beautiful. But Wilhelmina thought it was horrible and has not used it for years. Prinsjesdag remains the same for me: the most important thing is contact with the royal family. family."
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3251 on: September 29, 2020, 12:53:13 PM »

https://nos.nl/artikel/23...oning-aan-te-vechten.html

Republican Society: 'Enough money to challenge king's power'

The Republican Society says it has raised enough money for a lawsuit over the power of the king. The association for opponents of the monarchy started a crowdfunding campaign last week to raise 20,000 euros for that purpose.

According to the society, the counter already stood at more than 25,000 euros yesterday, from more than 600 donors.

Half of the donors are not members of the Republican Society, says chairman Floris Müller. "That makes it even more clear to us that the subject - the power of the king - is alive in the Netherlands."

Portrait in court
According to the anti-monarchists, Willem-Alexander as head of state and chairman of the Council of State has too much influence on the executive and legislative powers in the Netherlands. They believe that his position is detrimental to the independence of the judiciary and that the trias politica, the separation of powers, is thereby at stake. This goes against European law of a fair and independent legal process, they say.

"Lawyers swear allegiance to the monarch, judges are appointed by him, his portrait hangs in the courtroom", the Republican Society sums up. "And the laws, on the basis of which judgment is given, are signed by him and otherwise do not apply."

In the words of the society's lawyer, Ewout Jansen: "You see that king popping up everywhere."

'Ceremonial'
According to the republicans, this is problematic when the king himself enters the courtroom to conduct proceedings. "The king regularly litigates against the media and always wins," they say.

According to the constitution, the king is chairman of the Council of State, the highest administrative law body in the Netherlands. The Royal House website states that this function is purely ceremonial and symbolic. "The king is chairman of the institution, but not involved in terms of content."

Previously, the king played an important role in the formation of a new cabinet, but that changed in 2012. No longer the king, but the House of Representatives now appoints an informateur. The king has thus been politically sidelined.

Promising
According to the Republican Society, the proposed case against the power of the king is promising. The opponents of the monarchy draw hope from, among other things, the successful case of environmental organization Urgenda against the state and the case against the orthodox Christian SGP about passive women's suffrage.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3252 on: September 29, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »

What is the popular opinion, Principessa?  Is the Dutch monarchy in trouble?
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3253 on: September 30, 2020, 01:04:47 PM »

As I look in my own surroundings, I guess it doesn't bother most of them. It is fun there is a royal family and king, but they could also do without it. Online I have also contact with Dutch people living abroad, or who are of Dutch origine (immigrated parent, grandparent or even further along), they seem to be more sentimental about the Dutch royals then the Dutch living in NL themselves.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3254 on: October 01, 2020, 10:40:48 AM »

https://nos.nl/artikel/23...-macht-van-de-koning.html

Promising or not? Three questions about lawsuit against the power of the king

The Republican Society wants to limit the power of the king through the courts. The action touches on the fundamental question: How much influence can a monarch, even if ceremonial, have on a democracy?

"Ideally we would ask the population: what do you want with the royal family?", Says chairman Floris Müller. But the consultative referendum has been abolished, so a plebiscite on the future of the monarchy is out of the question. That is why the association of republicans has collected 25,000 euros through crowdfunding to allow the judge to pass judgment on the power of the king.

What do the republicans want to achieve?
This case is mainly brought to reduce the influence of King Willem-Alexander on the judiciary. The society's lawyer, Ewout Jansen, refers to the lawsuits that the king has conducted because of unwanted publications of photos of family members. "A king who regularly litigates against the media and always wins, is that contrary to the independence of judges?"

Republicans say yes. Because lawyers swear allegiance to the king, his portrait hangs on the wall, judges are appointed by him and the king, for example, is also chairman of the highest administrative court. That is all ceremonial. But according to the society it is naive to think that it has no influence.

The state is therefore acting in violation of the right to a fair trial, according to the prosecutors. In other words, a violation of article six of the European Convention on Human Rights. "The main goal is to get the king out of the courtroom," said Chairman Müller. The ultimate goal of the organization with 10,000 members is the abolition of the monarchy.

What chance does the lawsuit have?
Two constitutional law experts approached by the NOS are gloomy for the suing party. "It hardly seems promising", says Douwe Jan Elzinga, professor of constitutional law (RUG). According to him, the judge will not readily comment on these kinds of political issues.

Ultimately, the supposed problem can only be changed by a constitutional amendment. And that requires a majority in both the Senate and the House of Representatives. "This group actually says: our constitutional order is not in order. The judge will say: we have political channels for that."

Elzinga also expects the judge to declare the Republican Society incompetent in this case. Because, according to him, that organization has insufficient direct interest. "But it's a great way to get publicity and raise money."

How much support is there for the Royal Family?
The Republicans want to start a discussion about the future of the monarchy. It can be seen on social media that this discussion is in full swing. "No proper explanation has ever been given as to why someone may have this exceptional position by birth", Lupe responds to the news about the lawsuit on the NOS Facebook page. "Warm man, committed, heart in the right place. An exemplary figure in difficult times. I think his role is absolutely valuable", answers Ruth.

Almost three-quarters of those surveyed support the monarchy, according to the annual King's Day survey earlier this year. Furthermore, confidence in the king was also the highest of his term in office. Six in ten think that the tradition of succession to the throne should continue.

"You see more and more criticism in society and politics of financial exemptions and allowances for the royal family," says royal reporter Kysia Hekster. For example, Willem-Alexander and Máxima will receive 5 percent in salary next year, on balance EUR 68,000. The compensation for personnel and material support also rises for the royal couple: 138,000 more than last year.

The king's budget is 45.7 million euros for 2021. Hekster: "This is increasingly being discussed, especially now that times are also difficult economically." Both the supporters and opponents of the monarchy want more openness about the costs, the King's Day survey showed.

Zwartepiet discussion
But it shouldn't just be about the monarchy's price tag, says Müller of the Society of Republicans. He refers to the Zwarte Piet discussion as a metaphor. "In my youth I had a lot of fun celebrating Sinterklaas, that was tradition. Until a few years ago we were pointed out that Zwarte Piet is a racist caricature and that it represents inequality. A king is also a sign of inequality and that gives an extremely bad signal. "

RED: RUG = The University of Groningen (abbreviated as UG; Dutch: Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, abbreviated as RUG) is a public research university in the city of Groningen in the Netherlands. The university was founded in 1614 and is the second-oldest university in the Netherlands
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 222   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: