Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutch Royal News  (Read 603431 times)
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #3285 on: October 21, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »

Would this have been their second holiday to Greece in 3 months???

I stand with crop-top wearing pro-democracy protesters
Eve

Large Member

Estonia Estonia

Ignore
« Reply #3286 on: October 21, 2020, 10:10:48 AM »

https://www.nu.nl/politie...prinsessen-privezaak.html

According to Rutte, staying behind princesses was 'private matter'

Prime Minister Mark Rutte was aware that the princesses Amalia and Alexia were staying in Greece three days longer than the king and queen. However, he thought it was a private matter, reports the NOS.

According to the prime minister, the return of the king was in the public interest because of the corona crisis. Not that of the two princesses, according to Rutte.

The two eldest daughters of the royal couple flew back to the Netherlands on Tuesday afternoon and arrived at Paleis Huis ten Bosch around 8.30 pm.

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima left for Greece last Friday with their three daughters to spend the holiday there. However, there was controversy about the trip, because Prime Minister Rutte and Minister Hugo de Jonge (Public Health) earlier that week urged Dutch people not to travel unnecessarily at a press conference.

Not enough airline tickets available
On Saturday, part of the royal family returned to Schiphol on a scheduled flight from KLM. 16-year-old Princess Amalia and 15-year-old Princess Alexia are said to have stayed behind in Greece, because a plane ticket was not available for all members of the family.

"This day has been deliberately chosen," said royal expert Justine Marcella on RTL Boulevard on Tuesday. "When the tickets turned out to be gone, the choice was soon made to leave Amalia and Alexia in Greece. But the princesses did not go for the next available flight and were allowed to stay in Greece."

At least eleven more flights
Between the departure of the royal couple and that of the oldest two princesses there were at least eleven scheduled flights from Athens to Amsterdam. Why the duo only returned home on Tuesday is not clear.

"We see people's reactions to media reports. They are intense and they affect us," said Willem-Alexander on Saturday in response to the controversy surrounding their holiday. "We do not want to be in any doubt: in order to get the COVID-19 virus under it, it is necessary that the guidelines are followed. The discussion about our holiday does not contribute to that."

Rutte was aware of the king's holiday plans, the Government Information Service (RVD) announced on Friday evening. The prime minister said on Sunday that he had "made a mistake" and "realized too late" that the trip to Greece was not really possible. He said nothing about the princesses being left behind. D66 Member of Parliament Joost Sneller tweeted on Tuesday evening that the Prime Minister should have done that.

How stupid can they get??? Everyone else should take care and worry about getting the virus under control, avoid foreign travels/holidays, but the guidelines does not seem to apply to the royal family?
Actions speak louder than mere words, Your Majesty!
It will be interesting to see if they bother to follow the self-isolation guidelines after their foreign trip. Or this is also something "others" should follow, not them  Huh?

Principessa, thanks for keeping us updated about this  Star
Pulsatilla

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3287 on: October 21, 2020, 10:24:36 AM »

Would this have been their second holiday to Greece in 3 months???

Yes, they were in Greece during summer for at least 6, if not 8 weeks. They are completely shameless.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3288 on: October 21, 2020, 10:25:30 AM »

To be fair, during and around the autumn holidays of 2020, several Dutch people have taken holidays, both abroad and inland. However, to my knowledge, the vast majority have nevertheless stayed in the Netherlands.

It is advised to travel as little as possible by the Dutch government because of Covid. It is not prohibited, so no obstacle here.

What WA and co seem to forget is that they have an exemplary function. They could really have expected this negative feedback and / or reactions. I must admit that some of the responses are very exaggerated. But WA and co should not start acting like spoiled brats. And blame the media and such.  Just indicate that what they did was not really smart, with or without a simple sorry.

Perhaps they thought they didn't get caught or noticed....sorry fellows, but that will not happen in this time of smartphones, internet etc.
scarlett123

Baby Member

Philippines Philippines

Ignore
« Reply #3289 on: October 21, 2020, 12:16:00 PM »

He couldn't even muster up an apology.

“ The discussion about our holiday doesn’t contribute to that “ ??
What an out of touch prick
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3290 on: October 21, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »

There is a video message from King and Queen:

https://www.nu.nl/binnenl...-beschaamd-te-hebben.html

King in video message: 'It hurts to have betrayed your trust'

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima expressed their regret in a video message on Wednesday for their holiday trip to Greece. "Our trip to Greece has provoked strong reactions from many Dutch people. It hurts to have betrayed your trust in us," said the royal couple.

“Even though the trip was in line with the regulations, it was very unwise not to take into account the impact of the new restrictions on our society. Our own decision to return was made with the realization that we should not have gone,” says the king in the video message.

Last week, there was a fuss about the trip of the royal family, because the cabinet had urged the Dutch not to go on holiday abroad due to the increasing number of corona infections in the world.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte also went through the dust. Last Sunday he admitted that he had been aware of the king's vacation plans, but he said he realized too late that this was not really possible.

The royal couple decided on Friday, on the day of their arrival, to break off their holiday in Greece and return to the Netherlands. Princesses Amalia and Alexia, however, stayed a little longer in Greece. They did not return until Tuesday afternoon via a scheduled flight, as it turned out on Tuesday evening. Rutte said on Wednesday that he also knew about this, but he did not think it necessary to share this as, according to him, it was a "private matter".

https://nos.nl/video/2353...ing-willem-alexander.html

King on vacation: 'hurts to have betrayed your trust in us'

King Willem-Alexander himself reacted for the first time to the commotion that arose about the Greece holiday. "It hurts to have betrayed your trust in us," said Willem-Alexander in a statement on video.

Willem-Alexander says it was "very unwise" to "disregard the impact of the new restrictions on our society". He also says it was their own decision to cut off the holiday.

The king says about operating in the corona crisis in the Netherlands: "We are involved. But not infallibly."

In the video message, Willem-Alexander says nothing about the communication between him and Prime Minister Rutte about the matter.

Criticism of vacation
Last Friday it turned out that Willem-Alexander and his family had left for Greece for a holiday. There was a lot of criticism because of the stricter corona rules and the advice to all Dutch people to limit travel movements.

That same evening, the royal couple announced through the Government Information Service that they would abort the holiday. On Saturday Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Princess Ariane returned; yesterday the princesses Amalia and Alexia followed. Until last night it was not known of them that they were still in Greece.

'Show that he wants to say this himself'
Reporter of the Royal House Kysia Hekster calls the king's statement special. "He shows that he wants to say this himself and not just leave it to Rutte," says Hekster. Prime Minister Rutte is ministerially responsible for the king; it cannot itself be held accountable.

In addition, the king has never aborted a holiday under pressure from society. "And now, a few days later, he puts on the sackcloth himself. This is a special holiday in several ways."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:25:14 PM by Principessa » Logged
katymc2

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3291 on: October 21, 2020, 04:44:23 PM »

Fair enough. At least he’s actually addressed the situation or it might have become the elephant in the room. But It will probably linger on in people’s minds. Its still hard to fathom no one thought how bad it would it look.Lots of people haven’t had any holidays this year at all never mind the 6 weeks they’ve already had.
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #3292 on: October 21, 2020, 09:04:39 PM »

I always wonder ... if he or Max are in a bubble - they surely have advisors pointing out that it would not be well received if they left the country? How can things like that happen? At least he solved it ... but he better be careful.
Queen’s Tea

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3293 on: October 21, 2020, 09:19:32 PM »

I’ve never been too wild about this family and now I know why.  Just a vibe but apparently I’m right on about the entitlement.  A good argument for getting rid of these monarchies.  When you think the rules don’t apply to you . . .
Pulsatilla

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3294 on: October 21, 2020, 09:51:18 PM »

I’ve never been too wild about this family and now I know why.  Just a vibe but apparently I’m right on about the entitlement.  A good argument for getting rid of these monarchies.  When you think the rules don’t apply to you . . .

Good to know that I am not the only one. Beer
Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #3295 on: October 21, 2020, 10:08:11 PM »

WAX has expressed regret for the consequences for himself and his family, spoken about his feelings  and defended their behavior until this incident but has he apologized?  Thinking Thinking Thinking

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

– Yoda
ralf103

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3296 on: October 21, 2020, 10:34:23 PM »

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...for WA. An apology without the word sorry in it but nevertheless they finally realised they couldn't hide away from it anymore and addressed it.
I hope WA & Max, their staff and the PM learn from this and learn they need to be more in touch with ordinary people in Netherlands. I have always believed the Dutch RF in general seem rather grand and entitled, something Beatrix was able to pull off in a way but thought WA and Max were different, maybe not. I will say though I think Max is still the one most likely to keep WA "real and down to earth" if for no other reason than I don't think she likes being unpopular.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #3297 on: October 21, 2020, 10:41:36 PM »

Always the way with royals when they do well, they are smart/in touch/empathetic. When it goes wrong, they are "badly advised".

Most royals, in a pandemic, would figure out that 1 6 week luxury vacation to Greece was enough by themselves, but hey.

I stand with crop-top wearing pro-democracy protesters
Pomme

Gigantic Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #3298 on: October 21, 2020, 11:56:43 PM »

The headlines for the video all say sth like 'king says sorry' / 'king apologizes'.
Such a public apology (even if he doesn't say sorry) has never happened before. They're up shit creek and they know it.

As for the holidays: the Dutch pay taxes through their noses but our employers offer (on average) 25 days paid leave. That's 5 full weeks, excluding public holidays like New Year's Day, 2 Days at Christmas, 2 days at Easter, Ascension Day, Monday after Pentecost, King's Day. (I may have left one out).

Schools have a 6 (sometimes 7) week summer holiday, 1 week at the end of October, 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week in early spring, 1 week around Easter, 1 week around King's Day, and some extra days here and there.

Even for ppl that earn a modest income, going away in the summer holidays and then again in the autumn week off isn't such a crazy thing. It is in fact, quite normal. That's what makes us annoyed with WaxMax. Not the fact that they spend so much, but that 'we' sacrificed our autumn trip and they go away.

As I mentioned before, The Netherlands is so small that 'abroad' is much like going to the next state in the US. It helps that discount airlines like Easyjet offer (offered) ridicuously low air fares. And even the euroliner (or other coach services) are dirt cheap if you do an early booking. From where I live, people go shopping in Germany for groceries and clothes. Taking the train to Belgium (Brussels or Antwerp) for an exhibition, a day trip (flying) to London, a weekend in Paris, a week-long all-inclusive in Turkey (the prices off season are ridiculously low) it's nothing special for many ppl. (of course there are plenty of ppl who cannot even afford a good meal, but what I'm trying to say is that we have a huge middle class and they like to travel).

So WaxMax spending the whole summer (6-7 weeks) in Greece (how boring btw) and going there again for the autumn break is not the problem, it's going when 'the rest of us' are told to stay home because, you know, covid, that was the mistake.

(And on a side note, the 2 month break that QEII takes in the summer in Balmoral, is that a holiday? (OK she's in her 90s but she had these long stretches of not queening throughout her reign, right?) It's her own home. OK she takes the train up there.)

ETA: Princi's translation needs one tweak: he said 'we are involved/concerned. But we aren't infallible.'

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Catananche

Baby Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #3299 on: October 22, 2020, 12:56:13 AM »

Their vacation would normally be okay, but leaving the day (or 2 days) after getting the official advice to "stay home, no unnecessary travel" was tone-deaf to say the least. It was stupid and if they can't think of that themselves someone in their circle should have told them that going on vacation was Not A Good Idea.

The apology was a first. Normally the PM talks for the King and takes responsibility for the Kings actions. The apology was okay-ish, it could have been better.

As for other things mentioned in this thread:

a lot of people are not happy about the money Amalia is going to get. No 18 year old needs that kind of cash without having responsibilities as well. In my opinion she only should start getting money the moment she actually starts working, which would mean when she is done with all her studies.

I also wish there would be more transparency about the finances in general. I don't mind paying for them, (because let's face it: I'd also be paying for a president) but knowing where the cash was spent would be a start.  In my mind the risk of having someone like Trump in charge is my personal nightmare, I'd rather stick with Wax and Max.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: