Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutch Royal News  (Read 603415 times)
katymc2

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3300 on: October 22, 2020, 12:58:19 AM »

[quote author=Pomme link=topic=440.msg1301016#msg1301016 date=1603317403

(And on a side note, the 2 month break that QEII takes in the summer in Balmoral, is that a holiday? (OK she's in her 90s but she had these long stretches of not queening throughout her reign, right?) It's her own home. OK she takes the train up there.)

[/quote]

Well, only if you like midges! Is it just case that QEII appears less ostentatious at least where holidays are concerned? at least on the surface - pretty sure the trains, planes and automobiles cost thousands. She was also still in her kingdom so it still like weíre all in it together (even if some of us have bigger castles and boats as the analogy goes)
Queenís Tea

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3301 on: October 22, 2020, 01:18:12 AM »

Iíve never been too wild about this family and now I know why.  Just a vibe but apparently Iím right on about the entitlement.  A good argument for getting rid of these monarchies.  When you think the rules donít apply to you . . .

Good to know that I am not the only one. Beer

Beer

Right back at you!  Iím very, VERY touchy about this virus and take every precaution I can possibly take.  The LAST thing I want to do is pass it on to someone else, especially if they are elderly or health compromised.  I think about every move I make in my daily life.  So for this family to go off on a holiday with little more than an ďOops, sorry!Ē  Huh?  Doesnít fly with me.  Iím really beginning to think that some of these so-called royal families are for the birds.  I canít think of their names at the moment but thereís another European royal family with four kids (nit Mary and Fred) that I think are exemplary in the way they are raising their kids.  They have them put volunteering and that sort of thing.  Have we ever seen the same sort of activity with this family?  I donít recall that we have.  Usually what I hear is talk about Maxís latest outfit and thatís pretty much it.  Just not impressed. 
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3302 on: October 22, 2020, 01:24:57 AM »

I’ve never been too wild about this family and now I know why.  Just a vibe but apparently I’m right on about the entitlement.  A good argument for getting rid of these monarchies.  When you think the rules don’t apply to you . . .

Beer

Right back at you!  I’m very, VERY touchy about this virus and take every precaution I can possibly take.  The LAST thing I want to do is pass it on to someone else, especially if they are elderly or health compromised.  I think about every move I make in my daily life.  So for this family to go off on a holiday with little more than an “Oops, sorry!”  Huh?  Doesn’t fly with me.  I’m really beginning to think that some of these so-called royal families are for the birds.  I can’t think of their names at the moment but there’s another European royal family with four kids (nit Mary and Fred) that I think are exemplary in the way they are raising their kids.  They have them put volunteering and that sort of thing.  Have we ever seen the same sort of activity with this family?  I don’t recall that we have.  Usually what I hear is talk about Max’s latest outfit and that’s pretty much it.  Just not impressed. 

Max does a lot of work with the UN in the area of inclusive finance. Now I’m not excusing what they did, but she’s more than just a clotheshorse.
Queenís Tea

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #3303 on: October 22, 2020, 01:29:16 AM »

Iíve never been too wild about this family and now I know why.  Just a vibe but apparently Iím right on about the entitlement.  A good argument for getting rid of these monarchies.  When you think the rules donít apply to you . . .

Beer

Right back at you!  Iím very, VERY touchy about this virus and take every precaution I can possibly take.  The LAST thing I want to do is pass it on to someone else, especially if they are elderly or health compromised.  I think about every move I make in my daily life.  So for this family to go off on a holiday with little more than an ďOops, sorry!Ē  Huh?  Doesnít fly with me.  Iím really beginning to think that some of these so-called royal families are for the birds.  I canít think of their names at the moment but thereís another European royal family with four kids (nit Mary and Fred) that I think are exemplary in the way they are raising their kids.  They have them put volunteering and that sort of thing.  Have we ever seen the same sort of activity with this family?  I donít recall that we have.  Usually what I hear is talk about Maxís latest outfit and thatís pretty much it.  Just not impressed. 

Max does a lot of work with the UN in the area of inclusive finance. Now Iím not excusing what they did, but sheís more than just a clotheshorse.

Ok, thanks for setting me straight on that.  I dont follow them like I do other families so Iíd never heard much about their activities. 
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3304 on: October 22, 2020, 01:42:21 AM »

Beer

Max does a lot of work with the UN in the area of inclusive finance. Now Iím not excusing what they did, but sheís more than just a clotheshorse.

Ok, thanks for setting me straight on that.  I dont follow them like I do other families so Iíd never heard much about their activities. 

No worries  Hug
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3305 on: October 22, 2020, 08:40:48 AM »

The headlines for the video all say sth like 'king says sorry' / 'king apologizes'.
Such a public apology (even if he doesn't say sorry) has never happened before. They're up shit creek and they know it.

As for the holidays: the Dutch pay taxes through their noses but our employers offer (on average) 25 days paid leave. That's 5 full weeks, excluding public holidays like New Year's Day, 2 Days at Christmas, 2 days at Easter, Ascension Day, Monday after Pentecost, King's Day. (I may have left one out).

Schools have a 6 (sometimes 7) week summer holiday, 1 week at the end of October, 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week in early spring, 1 week around Easter, 1 week around King's Day, and some extra days here and there.

Even for ppl that earn a modest income, going away in the summer holidays and then again in the autumn week off isn't such a crazy thing. It is in fact, quite normal. That's what makes us annoyed with WaxMax. Not the fact that they spend so much, but that 'we' sacrificed our autumn trip and they go away.

As I mentioned before, The Netherlands is so small that 'abroad' is much like going to the next state in the US. It helps that discount airlines like Easyjet offer (offered) ridicuously low air fares. And even the euroliner (or other coach services) are dirt cheap if you do an early booking. From where I live, people go shopping in Germany for groceries and clothes. Taking the train to Belgium (Brussels or Antwerp) for an exhibition, a day trip (flying) to London, a weekend in Paris, a week-long all-inclusive in Turkey (the prices off season are ridiculously low) it's nothing special for many ppl. (of course there are plenty of ppl who cannot even afford a good meal, but what I'm trying to say is that we have a huge middle class and they like to travel).

So WaxMax spending the whole summer (6-7 weeks) in Greece (how boring btw) and going there again for the autumn break is not the problem, it's going when 'the rest of us' are told to stay home because, you know, covid, that was the mistake.

(And on a side note, the 2 month break that QEII takes in the summer in Balmoral, is that a holiday? (OK she's in her 90s but she had these long stretches of not queening throughout her reign, right?) It's her own home. OK she takes the train up there.)

ETA: Princi's translation needs one tweak: he said 'we are involved/concerned. But we aren't infallible.'

Correct. I also lived and/or worked in parts of the Netherlands, where it was more easier to go abroad (Belgium/Germany/etc) then travelling within the Netherlands Smiley F.e. a daytrip to Brussels for an interesting exhibition, which was closer by then Utrecht.....

Thanks for tweak on my translation. In general I use Google Translate and try to do a check for weird/off/incorrect translations, but certainly items are missed.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #3306 on: October 22, 2020, 09:08:09 AM »

Well, only if you like midges! Is it just case that QEII appears less ostentatious at least where holidays are concerned? at least on the surface - pretty sure the trains, planes and automobiles cost thousands. She was also still in her kingdom so it still like weíre all in it together (even if some of us have bigger castles and boats as the analogy goes)
[/quote]

QEII has developed a sort of artful approach to her holidays. She goes to the same place at the same time each year (tradition) and even though she's waited on hand and foot in literal palaces, they are her own homes, she wears a lot of tweed and it's relatively discrete, so it looks way more frugal than it actually is. The optics are far better than, say, her and Phil getting papped in a Seychelles infinity pool.

But I digress massively.

I stand with crop-top wearing pro-democracy protesters
Princess MS

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3307 on: October 22, 2020, 09:26:32 AM »

QEII has developed a sort of artful approach to her holidays. She goes to the same place at the same time each year (tradition) and even though she's waited on hand and foot in literal palaces, they are her own homes, she wears a lot of tweed and it's relatively discrete, so it looks way more frugal than it actually is. The optics are far better than, say, her and Phil getting papped in a Seychelles infinity pool.

But I digress massively.

[/quote]

Yes going to your country house is easier to defend than the Greek Islands especially at a time where there is another outbreak of Covid all around Europe.... just smacks of tone deaf attitudes.... they are just extremely wealthy nobs
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #3308 on: October 22, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »

What I found interesting in WaxMax way of "apologising" without really apologising, was that he/they expressed being concerned about the looks of it.
It felt to me, as if they were addressing the fact that they were found out, and that they were sorry (no sorry, but pissed) that it made the dutch angry. But there was no real acknowledgement of wrongdoing in going abroad, in ignoring the request to stay at home, to limit your contacts and movements.
Very much a case of: I am sorry what I did hurt you, but I would do it again and I don't think in itself I was wrong...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Pomme

Gigantic Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #3309 on: October 22, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »

Indeed, her optics are better. Much, much better. But she's away, and like Wax, not working in the way most visible for us peasants: engagements. My point is that all of them take time off, also in dire times. And quite a bit of it, too. (And QEII did this when she was Wax' age as well).

QEII in a midge-infested castle she owns that costs her/the UK a fortune to run, Wax in a vulgar villa that she owns abroad that costs probably less to run but has an expensive boat and whatnot plus travel costs.

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #3310 on: October 22, 2020, 01:45:29 PM »

That is another thing: The Queen holidays in her own country. Plus: it is an (outdated) part of the British upper class life - go shooting in the highlands (or elsewhere). The highlands (and Scotland) get recognition which is good for tourism. She makes it seem very enjoyable and it seems very British.

Spending weeks and weeks in Greek and have a permanent house gives the non-verbal message that there are better places to spend the summer than the Netherlands. For the head of state a doubtful message.
Princess MS

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3311 on: October 22, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »

That is another thing: The Queen holidays in her own country. Plus: it is an (outdated) part of the British upper class life - go shooting in the highlands (or elsewhere). The highlands (and Scotland) get recognition which is good for tourism. She makes it seem very enjoyable and it seems very British.

Spending weeks and weeks in Greek and have a permanent house gives the non-verbal message that there are better places to spend the summer than the Netherlands. For the head of state a doubtful message.

To me it seems Wax and Max want it all - for the country to pay for everything possible and to provide a platform for them as it suits but to be indignant when they chose to ignore health warnings re travel to another country and get caught out on it. And then to suggest a spotlight on their activities is not helpful in solving issues. IMO just F*** off - take your ill gained billions and go elsewhere .... I'd suggest people who don't know the background of the recent generations to investigate Bilderberg - Wax sure know all about it - his paternal ancestors made sure they would never go hungry for anything
Pulsatilla

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3312 on: October 22, 2020, 02:27:26 PM »

Beer

What exactly do the Netherlands gain by Madame's UN activities other than they have to cover her travel costs? I know that several royal consorts are involved in some UN activities, but not up to the same extent as Maxima. Besides, it strikes me the wrong way to see a former investment banker whose job was to make rich people even richer suddenly pretending to care for financial services for the poorest.
lynaH

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3313 on: October 22, 2020, 02:36:34 PM »

But I digress massively.

[/quote]
Also she works while she's on her vacation. The Prime Minister always comes for a weekend, she hosts people the government wants her to host, she does a few scottish engagements.....

anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3314 on: October 22, 2020, 02:53:54 PM »

Beer

What exactly do the Netherlands gain by Madame's UN activities other than they have to cover her travel costs? I know that several royal consorts are involved in some UN activities, but not up to the same extent as Maxima. Besides, it strikes me the wrong way to see a former investment banker whose job was to make rich people even richer suddenly pretending to care for financial services for the poorest.

I think thatís a little harsh. How do you know that she ďpretends to careĒ about inclusive finance?  And I donít see your point about what the Netherlands gain from her involvement. Everyone gains from inclusive finance. 

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: