Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutch Royal News  (Read 632753 times)
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #3345 on: December 31, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »

In October the King, Queen and their children flew (on the government jet as is standard for them) to their Greek holiday home, at the same time the Dutch government was asking people to stay at home and not travel. Obviously this causes a fuss and eventually the King & Queen returned (within 24 hours), it then transpired that while the King,Queen and their youngest had returned their two other daughters remained for sometime as they 'couldn't get on a flight'. The Dutch PM was put under pressure to explain why it happened and why he didn't stop it. Eventually the King and Queen made a video apologising for the trip (well in theory personally I don't think it was a real apology but thats just my opinion! lol)

And it was their second luxury Greek holiday of the year...

I stand with crop-top wearing pro-democracy protesters
Carreen

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #3346 on: December 31, 2020, 04:19:07 PM »

The worldwide Corona crisis is a touchstone for leaders - political leaders but also social leaders like royal families. They should lead by example, and some of them, probably most of them, indeed do so. I have followed here on the boards the many zoom meeting, socially-distant meetings and initiatives by the Belgian royal couple (they really performed perfectly), the Spanish, the BRF (so much wonderful input by the Cambridges but also the Wales', and who could forget the Queen's wonderful speech) - they really stepped up their game.

The Swedish, Norwegian and Danish may have been a bit less visible but Sofia's hospital work and other activities made clear that they understand how serious the situation is for their people. Well, about the Danish I'm not so sure.

But the Dutch royal family really disappointed, didn't they? I sense a lack of connection to the troubles experienced by simple Dutch people. Just charming people with smiles is not enough. If I was Dutch (and I have family on the other side of the border) - well, I'd be pissed off.

Before Corona, in comparisons of the neighbour queens, Mathilde always looked a bit like the librarian cousin of glamourous Maxima, both dressed in Nathan. But Mathilde really impressed me with her daily work. I'll take character over glamour and charm any time. I hope for the Dutch that the penny will drop soon.

PS: I read backwards in this thread just now and saw that many others also made the comparison... sorry for the repetitive reading... but I won't change it now.
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #3347 on: December 31, 2020, 06:08:40 PM »

I think the Dutch Royal family is too full of themselves at times. They thought they get away with their holiday and their daily work during the crises was not impressive at all. So a big fail. The problem is not that they made a mistake once (everyone does) the problem is that it shows how "disconnected" they were from the people and the crisis and it was ridiculous to tell everyone to stay home - and then take off on their holiday like nobilty would have done 200 years ago.

Royality only works if the royals at least pretend "we are one of you". That has not happened here. There was no caring like in Belgium. So well done Belgians.
katymc2

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3348 on: December 31, 2020, 06:28:08 PM »

I think they have been visible and more visible at times than others. But I am not sure how comfortable the pair of them are doing the more caring things. They have a choice as to what they do. We know Maxima loves finance things and really concentrates on them, she doesn’t do loads of hospitals visits (unless I’ve missed them)  it did feel like Maxima made a concerted effort after the “Holiday” to be visible however W-A didn’t seem to (of course, he could be doing routine unseen King duties) I wonder if she is just a bit more aware as she married into the Family and knows that power can be lost? Hopefully they’ve learnt a lesson or get better advisors in 2021.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #3349 on: December 31, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »

I think the Dutch Royal family is too full of themselves at times. They thought they get away with their holiday and their daily work during the crises was not impressive at all. So a big fail. The problem is not that they made a mistake once (everyone does) the problem is that it shows how "disconnected" they were from the people and the crisis and it was ridiculous to tell everyone to stay home - and then take off on their holiday like nobilty would have done 200 years ago.

Royality only works if the royals at least pretend "we are one of you". That has not happened here. There was no caring like in Belgium. So well done Belgians.

This. I don't think they mean ill, but sometimes they don't seem to understand how their actions are preserved by others.

Max likes to shine and dazzle, which has many times earned her critics. WA I see as a kind of follower, although he as King should know it better.

Hopefully they get the message, but somehow I doubt it.
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3350 on: December 31, 2020, 07:44:35 PM »

Hi all, long time not being here. I posted this in the Royal Families folder because it's a comparison of 3 different kings' approval ratings, respective monarchy, all the developments and their activities in 2020 (it's a looooong post):

https://royaldish.com/index.php?topic=17217.0

Happy 2021 everyone! It couldn't come soon enough.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:53:59 PM by Laprincess » Logged
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3351 on: December 31, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »

This. I don't think they mean ill, but sometimes they don't seem to understand how their actions are preserved by others.

Max likes to shine and dazzle, which has many times earned her critics. WA I see as a kind of follower, although he as King should know it better.

I think you’re right Kristallinchen - they did not understand. But I do hope they turn it around, because I don’t see either one of them as inherently bad people.

And Miss Marple, I think “royality” was a typo but it really is so appropriate I’m giving you a  Star  There is reality, like what the plebs live in, then there is Royality, where Noblesse Oblige is on the money but nobody pays it any mind. I think MT moved there last year, and Rama is checking out available hotels.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #3352 on: December 31, 2020, 08:22:30 PM »

I think you’re right Kristallinchen - they did not understand. But I do hope they turn it around, because I don’t see either one of them as inherently bad people.

And Miss Marple, I think “royality” was a typo but it really is so appropriate I’m giving you a  Star  There is reality, like what the plebs live in, then there is Royality, where Noblesse Oblige is on the money but nobody pays it any mind. I think MT moved there last year, and Rama is checking out available hotels.

I remember, when Max's brother got married in Vienna. Mind you she looked wonderful and queenly, but absolutely inappropriate for a wedding, were you're not the bride.
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #3353 on: January 01, 2021, 02:24:58 AM »

In October the King, Queen and their children flew (on the government jet as is standard for them) to their Greek holiday home, at the same time the Dutch government was asking people to stay at home and not travel. Obviously this causes a fuss and eventually the King & Queen returned (within 24 hours), it then transpired that while the King,Queen and their youngest had returned their two other daughters remained for sometime as they 'couldn't get on a flight'. The Dutch PM was put under pressure to explain why it happened and why he didn't stop it. Eventually the King and Queen made a video apologising for the trip (well in theory personally I don't think it was a real apology but thats just my opinion! lol)

ralf, Miss M and FC  Star

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #3354 on: January 01, 2021, 11:30:46 AM »

@Laprincess  Star The summary is great.

I think WA and Philippe are having the same "problem" - they come across warm, but are a bit "dull" or better "boring" to follow.

I was not interested in the Belgians for a long time - they did a good job, but they were "overly conservative" - not even in a bad way, but Mathilde always looked perfect, but a bit soulless and more styled like someone 70+ and conservative than her own age. They seem to ignore the modern aspect ... But they picked up at the need of the simple people, like when they brought the waffles to the old people. It was no longer "boring", it semed they cared - also about the people in society who were affected most.

When times were good, Maxima and her girls were more fun to follow. Maxima never disappointed with her stylings and apart from her messy hair often did not get it right, but had this bubbly and open personality that seemed to make up for it. It seemed a modern royal family who knew the balance between having fun and working which made them interesting. Now times and situations have changed for a lot of people. Most countries you are not even allowed to leave the house without restrictions. So the outlook on life from ordinary people have changed - so you want to see normal actions from your monarch, showing somehow that he cares, not throwing "you plebs stay at home while I visit my 2m yacht" into your face which gives the underlying message "it won't affect me in a way it affects you".
katymc2

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3355 on: January 01, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »

Looks like the King is off to an early start to repair the damage. A visit to the police on New Years Eve.

https://twitter.com/konin.../1344835640005963776?s=21
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #3356 on: January 01, 2021, 05:00:26 PM »

Looks like the King is off to an early start to repair the damage. A visit to the police on New Years Eve.

Good start. Much more of this please WA.  Star For you, katymc2

And another  Star for your excellent post Miss Marple (when time allows). They did not “read the room” very well and now they’re in a hole.
Pulsatilla

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3357 on: January 01, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »

He should have taken Amalia with him. Remember when Phil paid a visit to the firefighters with Elisabeth about two years ago.

I am sorry, but those Dutch princesses are IMHO the least prepared together with the kids of Fred and Mary (someone here called them ding dongs) and the two eldest come across as the least likeable of their generation. I am not impressed by their upbringing at all.

hrhpita

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3358 on: January 01, 2021, 05:40:55 PM »

He should have taken Amalia with him. Remember when Phil paid a visit to the firefighters with Elisabeth about two years ago.

I am sorry, but those Dutch princesses are IMHO the least prepared together with the kids of Fred and Mary (someone here called them ding dongs) and the two eldest come across as the least likeable of their generation. I am not impressed by their upbringing at all.

Not only King Philippe, but CP Victoria and Prince Daniel took both Estelle and Oscar to visit first responders on Christmas Eve, I believe.

Pulsatilla

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3359 on: January 01, 2021, 06:33:20 PM »

Not only King Philippe, but CP Victoria and Prince Daniel took both Estelle and Oscar to visit first responders on Christmas Eve, I believe.

You are right. Vic and Dan are doing a good job preparing the kids without overexposing them.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: