Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 222   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutch Royal News  (Read 603430 times)
katymc2

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3255 on: October 16, 2020, 10:38:24 PM »

Well, this seems to have been over before it began. Going on holiday when the government ask people not to make unnecessary journeys as part of stricter measures to combat corona But it seems a really bad decision and no one wondered people were upset.

https://twitter.com/royal.../1317140990445162501?s=21
Tsarina

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3256 on: October 17, 2020, 12:09:39 AM »

These last few bits of news about them have really made my appreciation for them dim. Not everything is as rosy as it appears.
scarlett123

Baby Member

Philippines Philippines

Ignore
« Reply #3257 on: October 17, 2020, 04:20:25 AM »

Not even an apology? So they went to Greece for a holiday when COVID guidelines are still in place? What on earth was he thinking??
katymc2

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #3258 on: October 17, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »

Not even an apology? So they went to Greece for a holiday when COVID guidelines are still in place? What on earth was he thinking??

I don’t think anyone was thinking! its still ok to travel to Greece so they weren’t doing anything wrong in that way. But the government had asked people to stay at home. Even worse is that Prime Minister knew they were going and either he didn’t say anything or the King ignored him anyway. So for someone who is so high profile to do this, just undermines the message and maybe making it harder for the government to ask people to do things in the future (think Dominic Cummings in the UK, definitely felt like a watershed moment for many here)
ralf103

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #3259 on: October 17, 2020, 12:23:27 PM »

Wow "let them eat cake" hey.

So disappointing from WA and Max, whether legal or not it shows they are clearly out of touch with public opinion. Their apology isn't even an apology, they seem more sorry they got caught than thinking they have done wrong.
Pulsatilla

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3260 on: October 17, 2020, 01:45:17 PM »

I am not surprised. I never had a high opinion about them and cannot understand why almost everyone is drooling over them, especially her.

BTW, what is the public opinion about Amalia receiving a lavish "salary" from December on while she will not be a working royal for at least another 7 or 8 years? Will Wax refuse the money like Philippe did in Elisabeth's case?
ralf103

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #3261 on: October 17, 2020, 02:21:54 PM »

They have always seen too grand to me. Residences with huge maintenance costs, private jets paid for by the state, new motorboats, the whole house in Mozambique which was a little too "colonial" in attitude to me. Beatrix always seemed quite stuffy and grand but then she was a Queen of a different era and almost managed to get away with it.

The fact they haven't apologised says it all IMO.
Pomme

Gigantic Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #3262 on: October 17, 2020, 03:33:57 PM »

Public opinion varies from 'they are a bunch of total f*ckwits' to 'I have bigger problems than this'.

We went back into partial lockdown last Tuesday. People are losing their jobs. We have a very high infection rate (percentage of positive tests). It's mainly the younger folks that get ill now. They're not dying in high numbers, but they do fill up the hospitals. Next week we will be sending regular covid patients to Germany (our ICUs aren't full yet, that's a relief). But normal hospital care has been scaled down. The hospitals hardly made up the backlog in non-essential care (and cancer monitoring and the like, which IS essential) that resulted from the first lockdown.
Bars and restaurants are shut again, no training or matchplay for 18+ (except professional footie), all non essential travel discouraged and ppl must work from home again if they can.

Still, our youngsters (15-30) party on, outdoors, or even indoors, merrily spreading the virus. Schools are still open (well, holiday first) but masks must be worn and classrooms are ventilated (ie. coats on); students stay in one classroom and the teachers move around. Anyone who wants can get tested, but has to stay home (as does his/her family) until results are clear. Ppl STILL go out in those 2 days.
Generally, because we came out of the first wave just fine, we have become lackadaysical about the rules. The (almost) fights I got into with parents watching their kids' sports and not keeping distance (me asking nicely in an official role) over the last few months... we are all stupid here.

So what happens: "we booked the holiday, there's no restrictions, let's just go". WaxMax acted like thousands of us. Stupid.

The 'sensible' ones, they're not travelling abroad (because their destination won't allow Dutch tourists), but flock to the holiday parks I mentioned in an earlier post. The little villas, houses, cottages etc are all booked for Autumn holiday (half of the country last week, the other half started today), with just families, or groups of friends. They will bring a terrace heater so they can drink comfortably outside, and keep distance.

WaxMax are completely out of touch these days. We forgave them the situation in the summer where they did not keep distance to that restaurant owner in Greece - none of us kept distance all the time. But they are NOT US. They should set an example for us, being stricter about the rules that the plebs.

We love them because they are good at their job, seem quite relatable and don't cause fuss. But since they moved to Huis ten Bosch, it seems they are losing their connection with the people.
Wax is in heavy weather already because of the annual closure (for hunting) of a large forested area (this happens every autumn btw), because of the increase in salary he got, and because in a few months, Amalia will receive a huge amount of money just because she's the crown princess and turns 18. And is not working. There's trouble about maintenance costs that he should have paid himself (out of his stipend) but charged the government for. They sold stuff (paintings etc) that were gathered by former monarchs but that were state property, pocketing the money themselves.
It's all adding up, but as long as the majority of ppl doesn't care or doesn't realize how much they are actually costing us, the republican movement will not grow.

The catch is that our PM Rutte sucks up to Wax too much. He must have known that they were planning to go to Greece. He should have told Wax NO NOT GOING TO HAPPEN BAD OPTICS. But he didn't.  Even though we generally think he did a good job over the last 10 years, sucking up to WaxMax and not standing firm in this case, may well spell trouble for Rutte himself as well. General Elections are coming up next March...

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #3263 on: October 17, 2020, 03:37:26 PM »

These last few bits of news about them have really made my appreciation for them dim. Not everything is as rosy as it appears.

Yeah, they are rather tone deaf, I am afraid.
Pulsatilla

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3264 on: October 17, 2020, 04:19:03 PM »

They sold stuff (paintings etc) that were gathered by former monarchs but that were state property, pocketing the money themselves.

Well, in my little peasant world this is called theft. No wonder, isn't Maxima said to be good friends with Criminal Cristina of Spain? Tell me with whom you mingle and I'll tell you who you are.

How anybody can have respect or liking left for them is beyond me.

JC and Cristina of Spain, Henri and MT of Lux, Albert and Paola of Belgium, and Wax/Max, IMHO, those are the royal trash of Europe. Ok, forgot Andrew Windsor.
ralf103

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #3265 on: October 17, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »

I have to say i don't understand the way the PM is getting thrown under the bus for, essentially his bosses mistake. WA is not stupid, he can read and write and he would know that the government was advising people to stay at home and not travel for their holidays so anyone with half intelligence would know that they should be seen to comply with that.

The reality is, whatever the specifics, this all comes down to WA and Max being out of touch with ordinary people. Having access to a million euro luxury holiday home and state paid government jet is one thing, using it to escape the advise everyone else should be complying with is another.

Thanks to great replies before I know that holiday homes aren't a huge thing in Netherlands but surely they could have borrowed some millionaire friends estate if they really wanted to get away from their €60million refurbished palace.

Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #3266 on: October 17, 2020, 04:57:24 PM »

WaxMax are completely out of touch these days. We forgave them the situation in the summer where they did not keep distance to that restaurant owner in Greece - none of us kept distance all the time. But they are NOT US. They should set an example for us, being stricter about the rules that the plebs.

We love them because they are good at their job, seem quite relatable and don't cause fuss. But since they moved to Huis ten Bosch, it seems they are losing their connection with the people.

Wax is in heavy weather already because of the annual closure (for hunting) of a large forested area (this happens every autumn btw), because of the increase in salary he got, and because in a few months, Amalia will receive a huge amount of money just because she's the crown princess and turns 18. And is not working. There's trouble about maintenance costs that he should have paid himself (out of his stipend) but charged the government for. They sold stuff (paintings etc) that were gathered by former monarchs but that were state property, pocketing the money themselves.
It's all adding up, but as long as the majority of ppl doesn't care or doesn't realize how much they are actually costing us, the republican movement will not grow.

The catch is that our PM Rutte sucks up to Wax too much. He must have known that they were planning to go to Greece. He should have told Wax NO NOT GOING TO HAPPEN BAD OPTICS. But he didn't.  Even though we generally think he did a good job over the last 10 years, sucking up to WaxMax and not standing firm in this case, may well spell trouble for Rutte himself as well. General Elections are coming up next March...

Star Pomme.

IIRC, before his terrible accident, Friso managed the Dutch Royal Family's (sizeable) investments. The level of avarice (Wax's increase in salary, Amalia's salary) in these times, is confounding.

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

– Yoda
katymc2

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #3267 on: October 17, 2020, 05:45:24 PM »

I have to say i don't understand the way the PM is getting thrown under the bus for, essentially his bosses mistake. WA is not stupid, he can read and write and he would know that the government was advising people to stay at home and not travel for their holidays so anyone with half intelligence would know that they should be seen to comply with that.

I think its because he has ministerial responsibility for them. Hopefully he did say please don’t go, it’ll look really bad and WA n Maxima just thought they’d ignore him and they knew better. Apparently they haven’t arrived back as yet either.
Pomme

Gigantic Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #3268 on: October 17, 2020, 06:16:23 PM »

The reality is, whatever the specifics, this all comes down to WA and Max being out of touch with ordinary people. Having access to a million euro luxury holiday home and state paid government jet is one thing, using it to escape the advise everyone else should be complying with is another.

Thanks to great replies before I know that holiday homes aren't a huge thing in Netherlands but surely they could have borrowed some millionaire friends estate if they really wanted to get away from their €60million refurbished palace.

We have a constitutional monarchy, which basically means that the PM is the King's boss: the PM carries the responsibility for the actions of the king (so he cannot go a-looting and a-thieving) and the PM has to explain/defend Wax' actions to the Tweede Kamer (our Parliament), which was elected by the people. This 'ministerial responsibility' is the reason why Friso and Mabel didn't ask Parliament for permission to marry (hence exited the royal fold) because her antics were quite controversial. It's the reason why Max' dad wasn't welcome at the wedding (long story short) Rutte has given Was a lot of leeway. Mind you, Beatrix has done a few things that should be frowned upon, but in her days, people were more discreet and there was no Internet/smartphones.

If they had borrowed a friend's mansion, the outrage would be much much bigger. Our HoS sponges off the people through tax, not off other rich people. They don't borrow, they buy. Or better: have bought for them.
BTW Friso wasn't the only one who was good with money. Berhard jr (one of Margriet's sons) is loaded, as in big time loaded, and even Mabel has tens of millions nowadays through clever investments.

As for the selling of stuff: this concerns artefacts and art that was bought (with state money) in the 19th century, at a time when the distinction between monarch and state (and personal /private property) was much less clear. Or even registered clearly. So some of these things were willed to members of subsequent generations. Nobody really knew of the existence of these things anymore until they were offered at auction.

Who knows what they are selling privately. We just don't know. But our PM doesn't keep them in check.
The thing is, the true cost of the DRF isn't transparent, since so many expenses are hidden away in different budgets of different governent ministries. Still, the DRF likes to spend, and spend on quality products made by craftsmen, and provides jobs for a lot of people, from security to housekeeping to forestkeepers and whatnot. We as a people pay for these jobs through our taxes, much like we pay the salaries of the representatives in Parliament and Senate, teachers, police, etc etc. In return, WaxMax do their jobs kinging and queening, and do so in a way that is liked by the majority of the ppl in The Netherlands.

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3269 on: October 17, 2020, 09:22:44 PM »

We have a constitutional monarchy, which basically means that the PM is the King's boss: the PM carries the responsibility for the actions of the king (so he cannot go a-looting and a-thieving) and the PM has to explain/defend Wax' actions to the Tweede Kamer (our Parliament), which was elected by the people. This 'ministerial responsibility' is the reason why Friso and Mabel didn't ask Parliament for permission to marry (hence exited the royal fold) because her antics were quite controversial. It's the reason why Max' dad wasn't welcome at the wedding (long story short) Rutte has given Was a lot of leeway. Mind you, Beatrix has done a few things that should be frowned upon, but in her days, people were more discreet and there was no Internet/smartphones.

If they had borrowed a friend's mansion, the outrage would be much much bigger. Our HoS sponges off the people through tax, not off other rich people. They don't borrow, they buy. Or better: have bought for them.
BTW Friso wasn't the only one who was good with money. Berhard jr (one of Margriet's sons) is loaded, as in big time loaded, and even Mabel has tens of millions nowadays through clever investments.

As for the selling of stuff: this concerns artefacts and art that was bought (with state money) in the 19th century, at a time when the distinction between monarch and state (and personal /private property) was much less clear. Or even registered clearly. So some of these things were willed to members of subsequent generations. Nobody really knew of the existence of these things anymore until they were offered at auction.

Who knows what they are selling privately. We just don't know. But our PM doesn't keep them in check.
The thing is, the true cost of the DRF isn't transparent, since so many expenses are hidden away in different budgets of different governent ministries. Still, the DRF likes to spend, and spend on quality products made by craftsmen, and provides jobs for a lot of people, from security to housekeeping to forestkeepers and whatnot. We as a people pay for these jobs through our taxes, much like we pay the salaries of the representatives in Parliament and Senate, teachers, police, etc etc. In return, WaxMax do their jobs kinging and queening, and do so in a way that is liked by the majority of the ppl in The Netherlands.

Star For your thoughtful post, Pomme!

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 222   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: