Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Titles of Queen Elizabeth II  (Read 1728 times)
wear

Large Member

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2007, 11:04:55 PM »

i am just wondering why HM is almost always titled as the Queen of England, or Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

how about Queen of Australia, and Queen of Canada?
Elspeth

Micro Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 11:49:12 PM »

Her titles are different depending on the country concerned. In the UK, which is where she spends most of her time, she's known as Queen of the United Kingdom (although most people just refer to her as Queen of England). In Australia she's Queen of Australia; in Canada she's Queen of Canada, etc.

According to the page in the official website, her title in the UK is "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith".

Looks as though they need a comma after God, though, because at first glance it seems to be saying that God is British. Which he is, of course, but there's no need to brag about it. Wink

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page5658.asp

She has separate titles in each of her countries, so when she's in Britain and being Queen of the United Kingdom, she isn't using her Australian or Canadian or other titles; I think this is something of a change from  how it was done before. This article is a useful explanation of the history behind the monarch's title:

http://www.etoile.co.uk/Columns/Paul/061029.html
wear

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:51:56 PM »

thank you for the post Elspeth. i do like the Queen a lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: