Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Rania challenges the Western perception of Islam and Arab women  (Read 2778 times)
wear

Large Member

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:38:54 PM »

a very interesting keynote speech by Queen Rania in Talberg, Sweden

http://www.petra.gov.jo/n...ras/2007/Jun/28/12000.htm
Peggy G.

Micro Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 11:44:41 PM »

Yes. Interesting indeed. OK - maybe I should not say this, but I am going to do it anyway. I adore Rania. She is elegance personified. I love her looks, her clothes, her style, and I admire her dedication to various charity causes. Plus I really believe that her active role is a wonderful example for modern Arab women.

But I dislike that line she took in her speech! And I am a bit tired of this "Islam is peace, not terrorism". ALL religions are basically good, they share many good priciples and encourage us to live well. But: I would not be too surprised if I'd find out that these latest London terrorist-acts were done by CERTAIN people from CERTAIN ethnic and religious backround. (And no - I do not think that the guilty ones will be Norwegians of Lutheran backround!)

Muslim communities are in trouble, and I don't see that West is the problem here. Problems they have concerning equality of sexes are something they need to deal by themselves. It is up to them (not up to us) to solve this serious problem. Rania is privileged, her life cannot be compared to those many oppressed Muslim women in the world. And terrorism is something they need to condemn more strongly. Most people know that it is just some extremists doing harm, but still...

I have no problem admitting that well educated, privileged Muslim women are equal with men. This is not where the real problem is.

I wonder how many "honour killings" happened today in Jordan?
Barrie

Most Exalted Member

Canada Canada

Rufus loves Royal Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 12:06:09 AM »

I don't understand when terrorist acts do happen in the West at the hands of Islamic extremists that moderate Islam is for the most part silent. I wouldn't want these these zealots to be the "face" of my belief system. Also, there is a big difference between cultural practice and religious practice. I have a friend who is Muslim and she only covers herself when entering a Mosque, why? Because she states nowhere in the Koran does it state a woman must be covered, that is something some man decided. I think the biggest threat to Islam is not the West, but frustration. They are run by religious leaders who live in a different age, keeping everyone from moving forward with their lack of rational dialogue.
wear

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 03:13:16 AM »

Peggy G. and Barrie, to all of those points, i say,"Amen".
orange

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 04:18:03 AM »

On the point about no moderate voices speaking out, there was a study done recently in Australia which found that, at least here, the media has actively chosen to publish extremist opinions over more moderate ones. A lot of moderates were turned away for interviews or did not have their letters/opinion pieces published, even though the study found evidence that a lot of moderates had in fact tried to have their views presented in the media. Just a point to consider.
Princess H.

Micro Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 05:26:57 AM »

Peggy and Barrie,

Thanks for your thoughtful and insightful comments, I really enjoyed reading them.
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 11:38:24 AM »

Yes. Interesting indeed. OK - maybe I should not say this, but I am going to do it anyway. I adore Rania. She is elegance personified. I love her looks, her clothes, her style, and I admire her dedication to various charity causes. Plus I really believe that her active role is a wonderful example for modern Arab women.

But I dislike that line she took in her speech! And I am a bit tired of this "Islam is peace, not terrorism". ALL religions are basically good, they share many good priciples and encourage us to live well. But: I would not be too surprised if I'd find out that these latest London terrorist-acts were done by CERTAIN people from CERTAIN ethnic and religious backround. (And no - I do not think that the guilty ones will be Norwegians of Lutheran backround!)

Muslim communities are in trouble, and I don't see that West is the problem here. Problems they have concerning equality of sexes are something they need to deal by themselves. It is up to them (not up to us) to solve this serious problem. Rania is privileged, her life cannot be compared to those many oppressed Muslim women in the world. And terrorism is something they need to condemn more strongly. Most people know that it is just some extremists doing harm, but still...

I have no problem admitting that well educated, privileged Muslim women are equal with men. This is not where the real problem is.

I wonder how many "honour killings" happened today in Jordan?
You know I still remember the sound of the IRA bomb going off in my home city. It was barely ten years ago when CERTAIN people from a CERTAIN country were behind all the terrorist actions we Brits had to worry about.

Did we call for condemnation from the Irish community? No. Did we expect all from N.Ireland to make a stand? No. We accepted where the problem was coming from and dealt with that small section accordingly.

The fact that people are unwilling to deal with this problem rationally is the problem.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 11:39:47 AM »

On the point about no moderate voices speaking out, there was a study done recently in Australia which found that, at least here, the media has actively chosen to publish extremist opinions over more moderate ones. A lot of moderates were turned away for interviews or did not have their letters/opinion pieces published, even though the study found evidence that a lot of moderates had in fact tried to have their views presented in the media. Just a point to consider.
That has happened here too, I know people who organised a big rally and "peace day, which received no coverage because on the same day an extremist group with a fraction of attendees received all the media coverage.

Only last week there was a huge rally in Gaza which received no coverage from the press at all.

(img)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/Little_stars/2017-03-07%2023.04.19.png(/img)
wear

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 02:28:12 PM »

the reason why i posted this article on Queen Rania is because she gets media attention more than anyone in the Muslim world. she has very good points, but it seems to me, she's the only one who brings the Moderate Islamic views to the world.

in this day and age that negativism is more featured in the media (this is in general terms), the more that Moderate Muslims must speak out, to counterbalance the effects of the extremists' coverage.

Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 05:40:01 PM »

Queen Rania was not the only muslim Royal there. Princess Deema al-Saud also spoke to the forum:
http://www.france24.com/f...946.nduvc9wt&cat=null

wear

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 06:03:37 PM »

it is Queen Rania who is well known worldwide. i do admire her greatly for speaking in times of too much turbulence. maybe that's why as much as there are those who like her there are also a lot of people in the middle east who  don't like her. by the way, she i think is an epitome of a royal these days, BRAINS, BEAUTY and CLASS.

in fact, this is the first time i have heard of Princess Deema, she must be from the Royal House of Saudi Arabia.
hanzo1

Most Exalted Member

Costa Rica Costa Rica

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 08:44:29 PM »

I agree with Little star we need to blame the specific people or groups that the terroist came from It's unjust and superficial to blame  a party/ country / people/ religion as a whole.

And yes not only Islamic groups use terror you could add Communist to that ugly list and how about ETA or
Timothy McVeigh?

Little star which rally are you talking about?

Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?

wear

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »

i think you have a point there Hanzo1. i think the world can only deal with the group that is very active in killing people. i cannot imagine how the world would deal with the communists (i think not much, just look at how much royals are visiting China), who by the way are keeping quiet about the extremists in the Muslim world (Iran?). ETA, the brits are dealing with them because they only make noise in their own backyard, and Timothy McVeigh got the death sentence and is now dead.
Little_star
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 03:37:48 PM »

It was held in the past few weeks in Gaza, it comprised mainly of women and children, I'll have to hunt for the article I read about it.

hanzo1

Most Exalted Member

Costa Rica Costa Rica

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 06:45:04 PM »

It was held in the past few weeks in Gaza, it comprised mainly of women and children, I'll have to hunt for the article I read about it.
If you could find It I would really appreciate It Yes

Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: