Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martha Louise  (Read 604879 times)
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #2205 on: June 24, 2022, 04:07:47 PM »

That explains to me that she was always difficult. I cannot imagine another royal being devastated about not being the heir. I think she is making up things, a bit like a "drama queen". I am not surprised that she is so in love with the shaman, it fits into  her life, they probably have discovered their "common soul" (being discriminated etc.)

I don't think that's entirely fair. I don't blame any woman who is upset that she is not able to rule simply because of her sex. That's incredibly offensive in this day and age and I don't think any woman should be labelled as difficult for standing up for herself.

I do think the shaman is ridiculous, though.

But it wasn’t decided in this day and age. It was decided decades ago and it definitely doesn’t speak well for her if she hasn’t made peace with the situation. Especially since things have now changed and her niece is the future Queen of Norway.

Also - quite honestly - in this day and age it’s frankly ridiculous that you can be born to become the HOS. So royals need to pipe down about fairness and equality. By definition they’re born above everyone else. It’s deeply unequal in its very nature to be a royal.

but that is an entirely different question. The fact remains that Norway IS a monarchy, whether we support the idea or not, and in that context it was of course discriminatory that women could not be monarchs.

As I wrote before: those decisions were made decades ago. A woman is second in line now. If ML is struggling with this issues, she needs to seek help not to talk about it to the press.
Lucille

Baby Member

Norway Norway

Ignore
« Reply #2206 on: June 24, 2022, 07:17:00 PM »

ML is jsut a tragic figure... poor family

A couple of days ago I watched a docu on German TV about several european heiresses. Among othesr it was about ML. At the interview she was crying and complaining about that she felt inferior all her life because she was the firstborn and a girl. At that time the rules in Norway were that only a boy could be king. She said that that made her feel so  bad and from thereon she felt inferior because she was "only a woman", not fit to inherit the throne" That was an old interview, but still thats what she said.

That explains to me that she was always difficult. I cannot imagine another royal being devastated about not being the heir. I think she is making up things, a bit like a "drama queen". I am not surprised that she is so in love with the shaman, it fits into  her life, they probably have discovered their "common soul" (being discriminated etc.)

I don't think she said that she is sad that she is not the heir. She said she felt she was a disappointment to the people and the country for being a girl, as girls could not inherit at the time, and that made her sad. If she had wanted to be the heir, I believe she would have been given the chance when the constitution was changed in the early 90s. She has revealed that the prime minister came to Skaugum and asked her opinion on the matter. The amendment to the constitution was (unlike Sweden) made to take effect for future generations, but that wasn't a given. They could have chosen the Swedish solution, and I believe everyone in the royal family was heard on the matter. Which, personally, I don't think they should have been alowed to. It should have been decided by the law makers with no regard to the personal feelings of the royals.

Everytime she has spoken about this subject she has always said that she is relieved she is not the heir. That said, I have sometimes felt that she has not spoken her own opinion, but the opinion of king Olav, as if she had internalized it. Example - when she was interviewed for her 18th birthday, she said that it made sense to her that girls can't inherit, because the monarch is the head of the military, and girls don't do military service. That sounds like an old man's bullshit to me. I am a couple of years older than ML, and I remember thinking at the time that I found her ideas strange and old fashioned.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember at the time Haakon wanted to marry MM, he wasn’t sure if he’d be allowed to marry MM because of her past. The story I remember is Haakon asked ML if she’d take over as the heir so he’d be free to marry MM and ML told him “No”

Yes, I think that’s correct. She told the PM no before the constitution was amended, and she told her brother no in the MM situation. There is absolutely no reason to believe ML wants the throne, but she has said that she felt her being a girl was a disappointment for people, which has been difficult for her, and she has every right to resent the discrimination.
Lady Liebe

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2207 on: June 24, 2022, 07:27:50 PM »

Very interesting backstory, thank you for the history lesson. Let us be grateful that it turned out the way it did.

Perhaps Derek wishes it were different though . . .

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: