Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Madeleine's news  (Read 1296703 times)
Princess MS

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4980 on: April 29, 2021, 03:13:23 PM »

With all the different monarchies slimming down, I sure hope none of these countries stop to think they don’t need the monarchies at all! That would be horrible.

I’m sure those without them are doing fine ...
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #4981 on: April 29, 2021, 03:31:37 PM »

With all the different monarchies slimming down, I sure hope none of these countries stop to think they don’t need the monarchies at all! That would be horrible.

I am pretty certain we would do fine. Granted they don’t really do much but historically the DRF has been awful for the country for centuries. We speak so fondly of kings that took us into stupid wars, lost big chunks of the country, almost bankrupted the country and so on. The so called royal grandfather of royal Europe (IIRC) tried to give us away to Germany but they didn’t bite.. monarchs can be awful people!
anneboleyn

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4982 on: April 29, 2021, 04:08:06 PM »

It's true - monarchs can be terrible and have been in the past when they had a lot more power than they currently do. The joys of a democracy is that typically, every four years you can re-evaluate as a country and decide if it's worth it or if you want to change it up. That's not the case with the monarchy - Queen Elizabeth has ruled for 69 years - imagine if she had the full power that monarchs used to and made terrible choices. As someone who loves tradition and the whole pomp and pageantry of the monarchy, I'd be a little sad if every country abolished theirs. Overall, I think it's very wise that the current monarchs don't wield much power and are really just more of a figurehead.
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #4983 on: April 29, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »

You would be lacking a glam factor. And a lot of entertainment (weddings and such). But it is very strange in our modern egalitarian society that the head of state is born into the position rather than having achieved it. Plus - it takes the chance from very able people to get the position because something is not right (religion, ancestors). It basically prevents social upwards mobility from lower social classes. It works okay as long as the heir is doing a great job. But if you look at weaker kings and queens - a president could have done a better job (or he or she would not have been re-elected)

Picar

Micro Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #4984 on: May 05, 2021, 11:32:47 AM »

I would like to say thanks to Antevorta and Miss Marple for their rich and articulate contributions in this discussion and reflection.  Star Star

I think Madde is clearly given a hard time. What's wrong in being a stay at home mom, if she and her husband can afford to do so? I personally think it is a priviledge to be able to see your kids grow up from up close (it goes by so fast!), and since she is a kind of peripheral royal anyway, she might as well indeed simply step back and care for her family.

And let's face it, she is being and will be criticised whatever she does. Popping over a few times a year to Sweden for a few apparences would not shut up the press, they would only ask for more and criticise her for not be doing more anyway. The press and subjects have this love hate with certain characters, specially if they are female and
good looking: they are fascinated by what they do or do not do, but they seem to want to see them fail to feel better about their own frustrations and failurtes.

I do however understand the criticism towards her: the more opportunities one gets in life, it does raise the others expectations about their achievments. The pressure would be a lot less on her had she been just some billionaire's daugther like thousands of "it girls" we see around the world, just spending daddy's and hubby's (and their own!) money. When you're born in that level of priviledge, and have had a very high level upbringing which was in fact sponsored by the tax payers money, people are looking at you to see what you have done with your "talents".

Lovis

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #4985 on: May 05, 2021, 11:39:11 AM »

I would like to say thanks to Antevorta and Miss Marple for their rich and articulate contributions in this discussion and reflection.  Star Star

I think Madde is clearly given a hard time. What's wrong in being a stay at home mom, if she and her husband can afford to do so? I personally think it is a priviledge to be able to see your kids grow up from up close (it goes by so fast!), and since she is a kind of peripheral royal anyway, she might as well indeed simply step back and care for her family.

And let's face it, she is being and will be criticised whatever she does. Popping over a few times a year to Sweden for a few apparences would not shut up the press, they would only ask for more and criticise her for not be doing more anyway. The press and subjects have this love hate with certain characters, specially if they are female and
good looking: they are fascinated by what they do or do not do, but they seem to want to see them fail to feel better about their own frustrations and failurtes.

I do however understand the criticism towards her: the more opportunities one gets in life, it does raise the others expectations about their achievments. The pressure would be a lot less on her had she been just some billionaire's daugther like thousands of "it girls" we see around the world, just spending daddy's and hubby's (and their own!) money. When you're born in that level of priviledge, and have had a very high level upbringing which was in fact sponsored by the tax payers money, people are looking at you to see what you have done with your "talents".

Very interesting thoughts, IMO you have a good point here. Star
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #4986 on: May 05, 2021, 02:08:48 PM »

Star To be a bit philosophical - society has weird concepts about motherhood.

I left home when I was 16 and spent the next 10 years fending for myself, getting my high school diploma, then attending university. Money was always a huge problem (I had to earn every penny myself and the job market was not great) and all I wanted was to be finacially secure. In my last months of college -in middle of exams and graduation- I got pregnant. Depite being mom to a small child I got hired while Mr. Marple stayed home with the baby ... and I got viciously attacked from all angels always arguing how damaging it was to be with her dad instead of my, how deprived she would grow up (I was home three afternoon a week + the weekend, it was not like I deserted my family).

One of my friends married after college and decided to become a full-time mom at home. Guess what? She got viciously attacked and people told her what a waste of tax money her education had been and what a bad role model she would be to her kid and how she could throw her life away.

Madeleine's kids are rather small and they might need mom at home. Plus: I can't imagine that Madde's childhood was that happy. Chris got sent to boarding schools when he was primary age - he can't have been close to his parents. Maybe they are just re-enacting the childhood they never had? With mom always available, privacy and enjoying financially secure life?
Maria
Administrator
Most Exalted Member

« Reply #4987 on: May 05, 2021, 03:28:33 PM »

Madeleine has been open about missing her parents as a child. It would seem to be a very considered choice that she’s at home with them.
anneboleyn

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4988 on: May 05, 2021, 04:45:03 PM »

Mothers are criticized no matter what they do, unfortunately. If you're a working mom then you're abandoning your children. If you stay at home, then you're lazy. There's no winning in society and it makes me so mad.

If Madeleine expressed that she missed her parents as a child, then good for her for breaking the cycle and giving her children a life different than what she had. The only people Madeleine should be concerned about making happy is her family.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4989 on: May 05, 2021, 06:03:39 PM »

I left home when I was 16 and spent the next 10 years fending for myself, getting my high school diploma, then attending university. Money was always a huge problem (I had to earn every penny myself and the job market was not great) and all I wanted was to be finacially secure. In my last months of college -in middle of exams and graduation- I got pregnant. Depite being mom to a small child I got hired while Mr. Marple stayed home with the baby ... and I got viciously attacked from all angels always arguing how damaging it was to be with her dad instead of my, how deprived she would grow up (I was home three afternoon a week + the weekend, it was not like I deserted my family).

One of my friends married after college and decided to become a full-time mom at home. Guess what? She got viciously attacked and people told her what a waste of tax money her education had been and what a bad role model she would be to her kid and how she could throw her life away.

Madeleine's kids are rather small and they might need mom at home. Plus: I can't imagine that Madde's childhood was that happy. Chris got sent to boarding schools when he was primary age - he can't have been close to his parents. Maybe they are just re-enacting the childhood they never had? With mom always available, privacy and enjoying financially secure life?

Good for you for pulling yourself up after what sounds like a challenging start  Hug

Yes, no matter what we as women do there are critics. One of Mr B’s friends said something very simple but effective to me once : “the trick is not to care”.

Madeleine has been open about missing her parents as a child. It would seem to be a very considered choice that she’s at home with them.

And I’m sure it’s much more peaceful than dealing with a dysfunctional SRF.
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #4990 on: May 05, 2021, 09:14:39 PM »

Good for you for pulling yourself up after what sounds like a challenging start  Hug

Yes, no matter what we as women do there are critics. One of Mr B’s friends said something very simple but effective to me once : “the trick is not to care”.

And I’m sure it’s much more peaceful than dealing with a dysfunctional SRF.

Well, being sent to a boarding school doesn't have to pay ill with your parents. My father came from a small village and everyone in his circle went to one.

None of the parents were rich (most of them were farmers), but there simply was no school nearby. They were still close to their parents.

As for Chris and Madde: Yes I think so too. They're trying to give there children, what they didn't have. As dysfunctional as the SRF all children seem to be happy and have happy families.

And  Ranting  to people, who believe they can judge on you. As woman it seems you can't make it right for some.
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #4991 on: June 21, 2021, 09:56:52 PM »

Madeleine held a meeting with Gävleborg Governor Per Bill and Deputy county governor Veronica Lauritzsen about the pandemic and how it affected Hälsingland and Gästrikland County.

Antevorta

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #4992 on: June 22, 2021, 03:03:47 PM »

I just love seeing Madeleine.

During the meeting, Madeleine said she hopes to make a visit to Hälsingland and Gästrikland soon.

I hope she goes this summer and takes the kids with her!

Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #4993 on: July 14, 2021, 10:51:05 AM »

A Swedish politician ran into Madeleine at the Ekerum Resort on Öland

Cordelia Fitzgerald

Small Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4994 on: July 14, 2021, 04:41:08 PM »

A Swedish politician ran into Madeleine at the Ekerum Resort on Öland

She looks fantastic!!  I would love to look that effortless pulled together when dressed so casually!
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: