Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Juan Carlos, Sofía, Elena and Cristina News and Activities  (Read 566544 times)
esther angeline

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2295 on: August 23, 2020, 04:21:29 AM »

I wouldn't give him the pleasure ( or freedom) of a divorce.
leatherface

Gigantic Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #2296 on: August 23, 2020, 07:55:29 AM »

I wouldn't give him the pleasure ( or freedom) of a divorce.

Damn right! 

He's been an adulterer for 50+ years, he can die an adulterer.
CurleySharon

Baby Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #2297 on: August 26, 2020, 04:46:06 PM »

I have zero respect for any woman who cares more about being a queen than her own self esteem
lynaH

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #2298 on: August 26, 2020, 05:51:17 PM »

I have zero respect for any woman who cares more about being a queen than her own self esteem
It's more that as a religious woman it''s til death do you part. Divorce really doesn't exist in her mind.
She doesn't live with him, doesn't have much to do with him. She's perfectly free to have an affair of her own if she wants, no one would blame her.How would a divorce help her self esteem?
ConnieBrooks

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #2299 on: August 26, 2020, 06:21:37 PM »

That's an awful lot of assumptions about her.
Isabel

Mini Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #2300 on: August 28, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »

It's not as simplistic as that.  I'm the first who has issues with the image of "saint Sofia" the press in Spain has always given her.  She is no saint.  She's a very conservative woman who positionded herself against abortion and gay rights (hugely supported by Spanish voters) while publicly propping Inaki Urdangarin when his dealings with Noos first became public.

Independent of all these, Sofia knew her marriage was over many years ago and refused a divorce because as a consort, and mother of a future king, her position was not written in the Constitution.  A divorce would have landed her in a difficult situation institutionally and privately considering what JC was doing behind her back with money.

The only way to protect herself and the contract she "signed" when she married, was to keep married.  The fact that she's learned from mistakes, keeping a low key and drawn a concrete line between her and Juan Carlos, has given me a new respect for her.

She is 81 y.o. In Spain we all want her to live the rest of her life in peace and as Queen Sofia.

Tsarina

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #2301 on: August 28, 2020, 09:51:15 AM »

I also don’t appreciate how they’ve built up Sofia in the press. But I do understand her position. She had no true role and would have been in very difficult circumstances had she gotten a divorce. Where would she live? Who would finance her life? What would happen to her children? What country would she belong to? Greece was out of the picture, she was then adopted by Spain, but a divorce from someone who was (then) admired in Spain like JC would have left her on the outskirts of the support from which he benefitted. The smarter move was what she did, stay married but quietly separate.

I know she and Silvia have received a lot of flack for staying married to their husbands. But they’ve made the best of the situations in which they’ve landed. If they could have chosen for things to go differently in their relationships, I’m sure they would have.

Also, just the thought of being an ex-Queen is bizarre, unheard of in modern royalty (past the Middle Ages when annulments were relatively more common), and a precarious position for a woman brought up in society to be a consort/wife. Women now find it much easier to divorce and separate from their partners. But most of them were (thank goodness) not brought up solely thinking of being a wife/mother as their main duty in life.

Realistically, she worked for this role, she supported JC when he was a king in waiting, bore him three heirs, and did all the duties befitting an appropriate wife and queen. I don’t see why she should have given that up, given the circumstances in which she was raised and that she’d more than completed her end of the bargain.

She’s completed her duties as Queen. She’s an old lady. At this point she may as well enjoy her life on her terms, it makes no difference at this point to divorce/not divorce or for her to consider “what ifs”. There’s a rather crude phrase in Spanish “para lo que queda en el convento...”  Laughing and this applies to Sofia, for the time she has left on the planet, she may just do as she pleases. 

I feel for Felipe, Leti (who is constantly vilified by the press), Leonor, and little Sofia. They are trying to make the best of this terrible situation. JC both brought his family back to the crown and threatens its very existence.
Mariola

Mini Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #2302 on: August 28, 2020, 09:37:45 PM »

It's not as simplistic as that.  I'm the first who has issues with the image of "saint Sofia" the press in Spain has always given her.  She is no saint.  She's a very conservative woman who positionded herself against abortion and gay rights (hugely supported by Spanish voters) while publicly propping Inaki Urdangarin when his dealings with Noos first became public.

Independent of all these, Sofia knew her marriage was over many years ago and refused a divorce because as a consort, and mother of a future king, her position was not written in the Constitution.  A divorce would have landed her in a difficult situation institutionally and privately considering what JC was doing behind her back with money.

The only way to protect herself and the contract she "signed" when she married, was to keep married.  The fact that she's learned from mistakes, keeping a low key and drawn a concrete line between her and Juan Carlos, has given me a new respect for her.

She is 81 y.o. In Spain we all want her to live the rest of her life in peace and as Queen Sofia.

Star
ralf103

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2303 on: August 29, 2020, 01:03:10 AM »

Its easy to say Sofia should have walked out and how self centered it was for her to stay "because she cares more bout being Queen" but I think that is judging the situation by today's standards.

The reality is...what other option was there? Divorce in Royal Families was not common in royal families at the time - Princess Margaret and Caroline of Monaco are a few I can think of that would have been in the 70s/80s. Equally where would Sofia have gone - her brother was clearly focussing on his crown which was about to be lost, he and his family were living in exile in Rome then London. If JC wanted a divorce to remarry they probably would have preferred Sofia to be out the country. Also in a deeply catholic country divorce wouldn't have been accepted. Also remember that the Spanish monarchy was relatively new so in a precarious position which a divorce wouldn't have helped. I also imagine Sofia wouldn't have wanted to have had to leave her children as let's be honest Sofi wasn't going to be allowed to walk out with them was she? By the time the children were old enough for her to leave, the monarchy secure enough to survive a divorce, royal divorces having become more common place and accepted, she and JC had probably come to a way of life that seemed to work for them. To be honest, I'd admire Sophia if she stayed married to JC simply to make sure no woman like Corinna was able to take her place.
Miss Marple

Humongous Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #2304 on: August 29, 2020, 03:45:29 PM »

I don't think it was easy for her.

AFAIK there is no Queen in the Western World that went through with divorce once she was Queen. Plus: We need to remember she is 81 - she is from an era where couples did not split easily even "normal unroyal" couples stayed together often because they were afraid what a split would do to their social position. Sofia herself is from a royal background and most likely was brought up that divorce was no option.

Then she is Queen of a Catholic country. That makes it more difficult. Most likely in a case of divorce she would have lost everything: social status, title, husband, children, wealth, job ...

Plus: As the monarchy in Greece is gone, she did not even have a place to "go back" to. She would have had to retreat somewhere else. She seems very engaged with her job (and I think the Spanish people like her), she is a hands-on grandmother, so I think she decided to focus on that and spare her country, her husband and herself the scandal of going through a divorce.
esther angeline

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #2305 on: August 29, 2020, 04:34:30 PM »

I too have total respect for Sophia.  She is a pragmatic individual and made the best of her situation.  IMO that take grit and courage.
 Star to Isabel, Tsarina, Ralf 103, Miss Marple, Mariola.
periwinkle

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #2306 on: August 29, 2020, 05:19:45 PM »

I saw something in another thread that showed her in a Greek context and she was much more warm and down to earth than as queen of Spain so maybe she puts on a front in Spain that she relaxes in Greece. I wonder if she will return to Greece now that her husband is gone sort of live out retirement there?
ralf103

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2307 on: August 29, 2020, 06:03:38 PM »

I imagine its much more of a possibility Sofia settling in Greece now that Constantine and Anne Marie live there and her role in Spain will be less. Obviously Covid has had an impact now but I could see Sofia spending a few months each year in Greece, summer in Spain at Mavrient and some time in between doing visits in Spain etc.
Laprincess

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #2308 on: November 03, 2020, 08:27:51 AM »

Juan Carlos is being investigated by anti-corruption prosecutor for using an "opaque card" to pay his expenses. The funds used to pay for the card come from overseas. This happed after his abdication so he's not protected by the inviolable clause.

Sofia is also implicated. She used the card to pay for her residence in London. Some of their grandkids also use it. Felipe, Letizia and their girls are not involved.

https://www.eldiario.es/p...ito-opacas_1_6382033.html
dKaren

Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #2309 on: November 03, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »

English version

https://inews.co.uk/news/...credit-card-misuse-746927

I have no doubt Sofia has been using JC's credit card. Her 120,000 Euro annual pay (before tax) can't keep her lifestyle with countless trips with her sister to London, Germany and Greece all year around.

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: