Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Castles of the Habsburgs  (Read 33892 times)
Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2010, 03:09:54 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ki/Achilleion_%28Corfu%29

Sisi castle in Corfu (yesterday it is 112 years ago that she was murdered by an Italian anarchist)

http://www.hotelperama.com/images/achilleion-1.jpg
http://de.academic.ru/pic..._Terrace_Corfu%281%29.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.o...e_in_Corfu_Achilleion.JPG
http://de.academic.ru/pic...n_in_Corfu_Achilleion.JPG

Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »

thank you Miss W.  Loved the photos  Star

"You can never be too rich or too thin" - HRH The Duchess of Windsor Cambridge
Odette

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »

Thank you for this interesting post  Star.  Hmmmm, do you think Sisi inherited her cousin Ludwig's (King Ludwig of Bavaria) traits of not wanting to be at court?
Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:58:40 PM »

Glad you all like the castle!

Beer

I think it was a Wittelsbach "thing". Sisis grandfather Pius was misanthropic and his father Wilhelm took the education of Pius son Max. Max was in his entire life funny and buoyant, but in his last years like his father, very withdrawn. Sisis sisters were depressive, especially Helene. The brothers not so much. But Ludwig Wilhelm, father of Marie Larisch, had his neuroses.

Otto I., King of Bavaria and Ludwigs brother, was insane, the poor man came from the war and was unstable. Before, he was the funny one of the brothers. IMO more handsomer than Ludwig, or I like blonde men better  Whistle

Ludwig was just offhanded, just 18 years when his father died (who IMO don´t get the attention he deserves, a smart king).
I think he wasn´t a good king and lived in his world, but (and that´s interesting) he supported technology! Okay, for his own interests, but it´s just a pity that he didn´t was like his father.

Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 06:10:41 PM »

Otto was the prince that died thinking he was a dog?  Thinking

I can understand why Sissi and her sisters were depressive I can't remember that any of them had a happy life.

I want to go to Vienna next year so I'm sure that this thread is going to be helpful  Wink

Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 06:48:18 PM »

Helene had a happy marriage 9 years long. I believe the happiest years besides her childhood. Then her husband died, two children  Cry

A good source for a movie. The siblings are interesting like Sisi.

Otto thought he was a dog?

Odette  Star

Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »

Helene had a happy marriage 9 years long. I believe the happiest years besides her childhood. Then her husband died, two children  Cry

A good source for a movie. The siblings are interesting like Sisi.

Otto thought he was a dog?

Odette  Star

I read about it in an history magazine although I was not sure if it was Otto, this is what I found in google:

Early in 1871, Ludwig started to worry about his brother’s strange behavior. He wrote to his beloved childhood governess " Otto did not take his boots off for eight weeks, he behaves like a mad man, makes terrible faces and barks like a dog. At times he says the most indecorous things; and then again he is quite normal for awhile. Gietl and Solbrig examined him and if he does not follow their advice, soon it will be forever too late." Otto’s mental health was rapidly deteriorating. Ludwig wrote to his mother " fortunately I found Otto less excitable than expected. He still does not go outside and pretends to have boils on his feet." The Queen Mother made this entry in her journal at the end of the year " Otto ill during the winter. Upon advice from the Doctors, and Dr. Solbrig, he was removed to Nymphenburg on February 26th, where we rarely see him. Dr. Solbrig died on May 31st of this year and Dr. von Gudden took over the medical care."

http://nevermore.tripod.com/ludwig.html

I knew about Helene's happy marriage but as her beloved husband died I didn't think her life was happier than the rest  Wink She should have been the wife of Franz Josef and not Sissi, it would be interesting to know how history would have changed if that had happened.

Odette

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »

Off topic slightly

Love the Wittlesbach history...Ludwig's grandfather was basically de-throned because he was having an affair with Lola Montes.  Ludwig was engaged to Sissi's younger sister Sophie (I believe).  As the wedding drew closer Ludwig was so overcome it was called off.  Another female relative was convinced she had swallowed a glass grand piano.  And poor brother Otto showed up for mass completely naked.  As a child Ludwig liked to dress up like a nun.  His mother was a little concerned and hoped he would grow out of these habits (no pun intended)

In his legacy Ludwig left us three wonderful castles/palaces, Linderhof, Herrenchiemsee, and Neuschwanstein.  Also we have Ludwig to thank for Wagner's Ring Cycle, Bayreuth, and various other Wagner Operas.  Beer

Beer I think the history of Ocktober Fest was to commemorate the marriage of Ludwig's grand parents in 1810.

Sissi

tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 08:37:14 PM »

Girls, thanks i really love reading  about older royals, the Alexander time machine forum is brilliant for this. Maybe we should get a royal history page set up here for all this wonder info. Star all round, Miss W i will have to wait till tomorrow for you as ive star you already Hug
Odette

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »

Thanks Tiger Star (ooops in 24). ITA a history section would be interesting.  There is so much on Ludwig that is interesting...
Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »

I second the idea of a history subforum  Thumb up, tigerben I knew that you were brilliant and you have proved it with this idea 

I've read about Lola Montes, in reality she was not called Lola neither was she spanish I think she was irish, and the Bavarian king was not the only famous lover she had

tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 09:00:54 PM »

Ah  Hug Rearden, your right Lola Montes was irish, her name was Elizabeth Rosanna Gilbert. She was made Countess of Landsfeld by the king. She was born in Co.Sligo. There is also a mountain named in her honor, Mount Lola. At 9,148 feet, it is the highest point in Nevada County, California.

Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »

Great idea tigereben!  Star

The Alexander Palace Forum is really great. With many smart members.
Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »

Schonbrunn

Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »

Schönbrunn is my favourite castle!

Thanks for the pics!