Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 126   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Belgian Royal News  (Read 556417 times)
babalux

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1605 on: April 11, 2020, 01:20:35 AM »

Honestly, I love what the Belgian RF are doing, as do lots of people here. I enjoy looking at what they do each day. But it's worth pointing out that they are not free from criticism. The video of the family in their garden with the messages of courage, received a lot of brutal comments from Belgians, including "It's not enough to be thinking of us... you could house all the homeless in Brussels in your palace", "Obscene to show off your palace", "look at our large estate while you are in your tiny apartments", "open up Laeken so people can get exercise without being crowded in the public parks".
This is a prime example why being a royal in Belgium is so difficult. This video was part of the 'Tour against corona'. It was a replacement for the famous cycling race 'Tour of Flanders' which had to be cancelled. A big tv station and the bestselling Flemish newspaper organized a helicopter and drones and asked ppl to put out messages of encouragement which got aired on tv. Many ppl all over Flanders took part and wrote messages on the street or in their gardens, waved from their rooftops etc. So most people in Flanders immediately understood what this was all about. Of course some of them thought it was cheap PR and showy but they understood why the RF did that and many appreciated it. The francophone part of Belgium however had no clue and since almost no one there bothers to watch Flemish TV they completely misunderstood it. Things like this happen all the time and they are hard to avoid. It is what makes royal work so overly complicated in Belgium. Being a royal in Belgium isn't for the faint hearted.  Cool
hrhpita

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1606 on: April 11, 2020, 01:23:00 AM »

I think the BeRF and all the other RFs cannot escape this criticism and they are in a no win situation.

If they do things on the DL without recording it and showing that they are acting then they will be believed to have done nothing. But on the flip side taking the pictures and showing that they are working is all PR with no overriding benevolent intentions.

I would encourage Phil and Til to keep going and keep up the pictures of their engagements. Better to be thought of as a cynical hard worker than a workshy freeloader.

Of course we can agree to differ  but for me, as royals do not lead and do not rule - they are only a figurehead - then this is a time for government and scientists only to be seen and heard, and of course the people who are everyday heroes.  This is just my opinion.

I totally agree with this sentiment.

thecrownjewelthief

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #1607 on: April 11, 2020, 02:11:21 AM »

Honestly, I love what the Belgian RF are doing, as do lots of people here. I enjoy looking at what they do each day. But it's worth pointing out that they are not free from criticism. The video of the family in their garden with the messages of courage, received a lot of brutal comments from Belgians, including "It's not enough to be thinking of us... you could house all the homeless in Brussels in your palace", "Obscene to show off your palace", "look at our large estate while you are in your tiny apartments", "open up Laeken so people can get exercise without being crowded in the public parks".
This is a prime example why being a royal in Belgium is so difficult. This video was part of the 'Tour against corona'. It was a replacement for the famous cycling race 'Tour of Flanders' which had to be cancelled. A big tv station and the bestselling Flemish newspaper organized a helicopter and drones and asked ppl to put out messages of encouragement which got aired on tv. Many ppl all over Flanders took part and wrote messages on the street or in their gardens, waved from their rooftops etc. So most people in Flanders immediately understood what this was all about. Of course some of them thought it was cheap PR and showy but they understood why the RF did that and many appreciated it. The francophone part of Belgium however had no clue and since almost no one there bothers to watch Flemish TV they completely misunderstood it. Things like this happen all the time and they are hard to avoid. It is what makes royal work so overly complicated in Belgium. Being a royal in Belgium isn't for the faint hearted.  Cool

Interesting context, thanks for sharing! Star
Mariola

Small Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #1608 on: April 11, 2020, 03:19:29 PM »

I will say that I have had these same thoughts when I see pictures of e.g. Felipe/Letizia also, and not only them. Skype calls to old people homes yes I can understand as this is the generation that believes there is a purpose to royal families. Even calls to children - ok. But I too think that the calls to medical professionals and to other groups are to benefit the royal image only. If the royals need to inform themselves of a situation they can make a private call to an individual at a time that is convenient for the individual. I do not need to see photographic evidence of this call.

That is what they are doing though. They publish one picture per day of a call to highlight the work done in the health sector etc. But they are doing many of these calls without talking about it. The persons they call give their permission and receive technical assistance. You will find many mentions on social media and sometimes a person they phoned with talks to the press. They still send homemade cookies and waffles to nursery homes and today many nursery homes all over Belgium got a letter from Philippe and Mathilde in which they express their gratitude and their concern. Corona is raging there and like many other Belgians Phil and Til are deeply worried about it and try to do their part. The visit Phil paid to Brussels University hospital was seen as helpful signal that hospitals are still a safe place since many people who fell ill are too afraid to go to there. And as far as I can judge it ppl working in the medical sector don't think it's a waste of time at all. One nursing home manager for example said he finally got masks and protective gear after he addressed it in a phone call with Philippe. So there are concrete benefits. I think they are really involved and they try to do their best in difficult times. Like many others whatever their position is.
All in all many Belgians don't care what the RF is doing and mind their own business, some have a positive impression and some will criticize them anyway. I agree with Leatherface it's a no win situation but my impression is that they are too humble and discrete in general. How can you appreciate work you don’t know about? Philippe managed to get a donation of 500.000 masks and testing kits from Jack Ma. Just like Felipe a few days later. This made quite a positive impression, but the Belgians only found out about it because the minister of health mentioned it. The BeRF never said a word about it.
Another example: Elisabeth is the patron of a children’s hospital in Antwerp. She visited the hospital several times, met the staff and the little patients, played games with them and each year they can count on her for a special visit during Christmas time. Never it was mentioned in the press or communicated by the palace. Obviously, they don't want to make a big fuss about themselves, but then only a few people know how involved they are and that's a pity somehow.
There is one thing they really botched though. Philippe's tv speech was awfully executed. He really needs to get a grip on the teleprompter thing and get some decent glasses.

Good post
You make excellent points Babalux and I thank you for it. I expressed myself badly I am sorry. I was talking more about the SRF as this I am more familiar with and I should have posted in a different thread.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #1609 on: April 15, 2020, 09:05:07 AM »

Happy 60th birthday, Big Phil!

Thank you warmly for your messages of sympathy on the occasion of my 60th birthday. Today, I am whole-hearted with those who suffer. We will overcome this ordeal together!

Philippe

Cool your jets, everyone
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #1610 on: April 15, 2020, 09:16:30 AM »

Happy Birthday Flip
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #1611 on: April 15, 2020, 09:26:38 AM »

Happy birthday!

Pulsatilla

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #1612 on: April 15, 2020, 10:26:45 AM »

Happy birthday Philippe. He has turned out to be a much much better king than many people thought in the beginning.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #1613 on: April 15, 2020, 01:07:50 PM »

Happy Birthday Phil

Thanks for the occasional weird almost-hotness

And the dorkyness

And the lovely family

And the romantic moments

And for being so much better than your parents

Cool your jets, everyone
amethyst

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #1614 on: April 15, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »

happy birthday Phil!
thecrownjewelthief

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #1615 on: April 15, 2020, 03:15:40 PM »

It's really nothing short of a miracle. Beer to many more!
leatherface

Gigantic Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #1616 on: April 15, 2020, 07:32:54 PM »

It's really nothing short of a miracle. Beer to many more!

So true.

Happy Birthday Phil.  Hope you got a nice cake made by the kids.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #1617 on: April 16, 2020, 03:26:04 PM »

Good Queen Til skyping with the staff and kids of the Children's Home Reine Marie Henriette (La Flèche)

Cool your jets, everyone
thecrownjewelthief

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #1618 on: April 16, 2020, 04:20:00 PM »

The Good Queen just seems like such a sweetheart. She has such a kind face and I bet that's a real treat for the kids to get to visit with her. I love that she's in something really bright and spring-y for this.
Future Crayon

Most Exalted Member

Til and Phil fan account

Ignore
« Reply #1619 on: April 16, 2020, 04:50:21 PM »

COVID-19 means the royal greenhouses won't be opened to the public this year

Cool your jets, everyone
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 126   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: