Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish history, culture and miscellaneous thread  (Read 81111 times)
Idun

Huge Member

Vatican City State Vatican City State

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 07:14:29 PM »

Thank you Rearden  Curtsey I must ask you, that quote, is it Seneca the younger or the elder  Blush Eitherway, I think it's great  Champagne

Odette  Star I think there should be some  Thinking she did bring a lot of jewellery into the SRF. I'll look into it and see what I can find. There's also a really interesting exhibition about Napoleon, Bernadotte and tsar Alexander and their belongings in Stockholm right now. I'll publish some photos of the objects here tomorrow.
I found this on Wikipedia, about the Swedish royal jewellery, I think you could translate it with Google? http://sv.wikipedia.org/w...enska_kungahusets_smycken
In the meantime, here's some nice bling-bling for you  Hug

Here's some Swedish royal regalia, created in 1561 for Erik XIV:s coronation, enjoy these masterpieces  Icecream

In 1970, before restauration

and today, not a very good picture though  Crap

Better picture of the crown, spire, apple and key, for some reason the picture won't open unless you write the adress... so just add http and www in front of it and it should work...
stockholmgamlastan.se/images/slottet/skattkammaren_popup_1.jpg
same thing with this one, stockholmgamlastan.se/images/slottet/skattkammaren_popup_2.jpg

Erik XIV:s coronation mantle, photo credit Livrustkammaren.

this is where they're kept  Drool
http://www.royalcourt.se/.../KS-SK-int-KH_390x262.jpg
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:01:08 PM by Idun » Logged
Elissa

Ginormous Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 08:46:32 PM »

Gorgeous dress

Thanks you so much for all this historical stories Idun. Hug
Who said that history was boring? Sometimes it's even better than some fictional novels!

Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »

Thank you for the answer Idun  Hug I can't keep promising you  Star s for every post or I'll spend the rest of the year starring you  
It's a bit sad how normal it was for those princesses to be taken away from home very young and thrust into an unknown country where they not always fitted. I'm glad she had a happy ending  Smiley
I'll admit I know very little of scandinavian history  Blush Blush (awful, I know) so this stories are very interesting to me, thanks.

Jane

Gigantic Member

Australia Australia

Daiz

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »

I love this thread - thank you Idun for creating and contributing to it! Star Is Desiree wearing the ruby parure in that portrait?
Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »

It's the young seneca  Smiley

can you tell us the story of Karl XII? And why his tomb has been opened so many times?

TY in advance  Champagne

"You can never be too rich or too thin" - HRH The Duchess of Windsor Cambridge
Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 05:46:21 PM »

Thank you, Jane, hereís one Star back for you  Hug Unfortunately, I donít know what sheís wearing, but I donít think itís the ruby parure, although it was a gift to her. Such a shame itís used by Mosh these daysÖ Clara, no need for stars, Iím just glad you like the thread  Champagne and I have to admit that I know little of the Spanish history, so I'd read the thread if you feel like starting one  Wink

So, for you Rearden, today it's all about Karl XII (1682-1718), one of our most famous kings, and the one who definitely put an end to the Swedish greatness. He was the son of Karl XI, whose body had to be rescued when the castle burned down (1655-1697) and the Danish princess Ulrika Eleonora (1653-1693). Their history is very interesting and rather sad, but will have to wait to be told. They had 7 children, of which 4 died in young age, and Karl being the only living son. He became the king when he was only 15 years old, and the neighbours had already begun to plan to attack Sweden.

As a new king, he was an independent, shy but determined person, but he also became famous for his bad behaviour, called the Gottorp fury, after his brother in law, a German duke. It's said that they rode through Stockholm in a furious speed and hit the wigs and hats off people, they threw furniture out of the windows and competed about who could behead as many animals as possible in the shortest time. They forced a bear to drink so much alcohol, that the poor animal became so drunk that it fell out of the window and down on the courtyard, it died three days later. Another day, he returned home after a day hunting, he was dirty, drunk and had blood soaked clothes. His grandmother, the only person who could correct him (he actually sentenced other to death for doing that, although the person was released), had dinner and yelled at him for showing up like that. He decided to leave but the table cloth got stuck in his spur, and of course, when he took one step, everything on the table went right down in his grandmothers knee. After that, he vowed never to drink alcohol again, and he kept his promise. Some of these stories could be a bit exaggerated, but he probably wasn't a little angel  Grin

In 1700, Denmark, Russia and Sachsen attacked Sweden, which was the beginning of the Great Nordic war. The war ended after his death in 1721, and he basically spent almost his entire adult life fighting battles or leading his army. He was a good military leader, and won many battles, the most known is the one in Narva. However, in june 1709 he lost the battle of Poltava, which was disastrous. Thousands of soldiers were taken as prisoners, although the king managed to escape to Russiaís enemies in the Ottoman Empire where he tried to encourage them to start a war. He was successful, but had to leave in 1714 after six years, when the Turks for some reason had enough with him. He rode through Europe in just 14 days, and came back to Sweden for the first time in many years. In 1716, Denmark and Russia prepared for a new attack, and Karl XII headed for Norway, which then was a part of Denmark.

The uniform Karl XII wore when he died, with mud on his mantle. Photo credit Livrustkammaren

During a battle in Norway, the king was shot in his head and died immediately, on the 30 of November 1718. No one knows where the bullet came from, and shortly after his death, rumours were spread that he had been killed by an assassin. The most famous story is the one, where a Swedish soldier is said to have shot him with a silver button from his own uniform (the king was believed to be impossible to wound, and called Iron head, therefore, only one of his belongings could harm him). Another soldier called Nordenstierna saw this, and picked up the button, but when he came home, the button left him no peace. He went to the priest, who told him to throw it away, and he threw it into a gravel pit where it was found by accident in 1922. The button has been researched, and it contained DNA that matched the kingís blood, however, the button has previously been used when examining the whole in his skull, so itís weak evidence.

The button

Famous painting of the soldiers carrying the dead king

Until this day, no one knows what happened, where the bullet came from, whether it was a murder or an accident, a Swedish or a Norwegian soldier. His tomb will be opened once again soon. Heís one of the most famous kings and was a national hero, and his army, called Karolinerna ďthe CaroleansĒ are legendary, hence the interest. Itís also believed that his struggle in Ukraine and cooperation with Ukrainians against Russia might have influenced the Ukrainian flag, which is also blue and yellow.

Karoliner in uniform at the memorial where Karl XII died

Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 05:54:21 PM »

Fascinating stuff  It's incredible that his uniform is conserved 

He didn't get married? Thinking

Loved how you explained his life  Star

Thank you again  Hug

And if don't mind  Wink are you historian or something similar?

Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 06:11:53 PM »

Fascinating stuff  It's incredible that his uniform is conserved 
He didn't get married? Thinking

Loved how you explained his life  Star
Thank you again  Hug
And if don't mind  Wink are you historian or something similar?

Yes Not yet, I'll get my badge in the spring  Wink but actually, my history professor would kill me if he saw this  Secret writing about Karl XII without mentioning the battles, sources and everything. But it's more fun this way  and history should be fun too. The uniform is exhibited in Stockholm, and anyone can see it along with his other belongings, the button is exhibited elsewhere Yes

No, you're right  Star he never married nor had any known relationships, some think he was gay or just not interested, others believe that he was inspired by his parents lovestory (having lost them so early, he must have had a rather unrealistic "sugary" memories of what love was like), and waited for "the one and only true love". He expressed a wish to meet someone he could love and marry, so the latter one is likely  Cry

We should have a portrait of him too  Yes
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 06:12:09 PM »

Of course you deserve at least a  Star for that story!  
It's just that most days I need two or three for you and I can't  Cry
I could copy/paste some articles from the wikipedia for you   I'm sorry, but if I try to write stories like yours in English I doubt even I could understand my posts  Blush
Thank you so much for this thread and the time it takes to write each post Thumb up  Star

Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »

I'm sure that you will graduate with top marks  Yes  Banana

Maybe he had such a difficult life that he didn't have time to find a wife, he should have married a danish princess or a russian one  Thinking

Now you have to tell us about his parents and what happened to sweden when he died  Whistle

zinzen

Gigantic Member

Belgium Belgium

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 12:27:01 AM »

Thanks Idun for starting this interesting thread about Sweden it's fantastic, you are such a good "teacher" 

Star

Zinzen

In reality, hope is the worst of all evils, it prolongs the torments of man. F.Nietzche
esther angeline

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 01:15:15 AM »

I can't give my teacher, Idun, an apple, so here is a beer and a star:   Beer   Star

PS and a glass of champagne for me cause I can!!
Odette

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 03:06:16 AM »

Idun, can you tell us about Gustav, and the wonderful Gustavian style of furniture and decoration?  Which King fought Peter the Great?  Was that Carl 12?

Tak in advance, and  Star in 24
Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 04:40:38 PM »

Odette, it was Karl XII who fought against Peter the Great, and I'll tell you all about Gustav III some day. Love the beer, Esther  Champagne much better than an apple  and of course,  Star  Star  Star for all of you, Esther, Odette, Clara and Zinzen.

Now it's time for Karl XI (1655-1697) requested by Rearden  Champagne

He's too a famous king, Danes would probably say infamous, therefore, he is mainly remembered as a pedant and a deeply religious man, and also the many wars that was fought under his reign. He's also known as "Gråkappan", "the grey coat/the grey mantle" and there are many stories about him travelling throughout the country and anonymously controlling his priests, officers and other working for the authorities and punishing those who misbehaved. He often started working at three or four o’clock in the morning, and worked until nightfall, and expected everyone else to do the same.

During the battle of Lund

He lost his father early, therefore the nobility reigned until he was coroneted king in 1672. A peace, settled in 1679, left Sweden bankrupted and seeking money, the king attacked the nobility, accusing them for having wasted money during their reign, and also for having mismanaged the country during their rule. Also, the previous rulers, for example queen Christina, had been very generous with donating estates. Now, Karl XI took it all back, not even making exceptions for his fathers aunt, princess Maria Eufrosyne. The man she was married to, count Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie, was more or less left bankrupt (he did waste the money on his own too). He is known for being the first person in Sweden working with historic preservation, and is also buried in one of Sweden's oldest and well-known churches.  At the end of his life, he became deeply religious and wrote hymns that still are sung today. His wife was also accused of being a witch by the group powerful children that spread such rumours and got several women executed. Accusing a princess, however, was a mistake, and this lead to end of the witch trials, with several of the children were executed instead.
Magnus Gabriels daughter was married to a man, Königsmarck, that was sent an invoice on ½ million Swedish crowns, for what his father had done. He answered with leaving Sweden, and eventually became the leader of the Venetian army. During his command, Athens was attacked and Akropolis, were the Turks kept their explosives, was hit by accident. Therefore, Akropolis is nowadays a ruin.

Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie

In 1672, Sweden's ally, France, attack Holland. Sweden joined the war, but lost a battle, which was a sign of weakness. Denmark saw their chance to recapture previously lost provinces, Blekinge, Halland, Skåne and Bohuslän, and in June 1676, a Danish army marched into Sweden from Norway, while another army landed on the coast of Scania.  The Danish army and navy were very successful until the 4 December 1676, where the armies fought a battle outside the city Lund. 13 000 Danish soldiers met 8000 Swedish soldiers, the battle being chaotic, and Sweden won only thanks to luck and mere coincidences. When the battle was over, more than 50% of the soldiers, on both sides, had lost their lifes, and it's still the bloodiest battle ever fought in Northern Europe. In the city, the bishop had prepared a victory dinner for the winner, and since Scania had been Danish for hundreds of years and only recently captured by Sweden, the Danish bishop and his wife hoped to be visited by the Danish king. It's said, that when a maiden told the wife that the Swedish king was coming, she quickly removed the fine wine from the table, and replaced it with wine of poor quality.
The war ended in 1679, after much suffering for the civilians and the guerilla soldiers fighting the Swedish army. It was a nasty war, for example, Karl XI once ordered that everyone in one entire parish should be executed after having supported the guerilla. The people were warned and only a few was killed. After the war a campaign was launched to make the inhabitants Swedish, it was so successful, that the consequences can be seen even today. For this, he's regarded as a hard and insensitive man, but every year on the 4 December, for the rest of his life, he locked himself into his own room, and devoted himself to praying.

Karl XI:s wedding dinner at Skottorp castle when SVT recreated royal weddings, a tv show broadcasted before Vicky's wedding. Photo credit: Mediabruket

Before the war, Karl had been engaged to a Danish princess, and despite the wars, Ulrika Eleonora of Denmark refused to break her engagement. She was considered to be a beautiful and good hearted woman, and during the war, she sold her own jewellery and used the money to help Swedish prisoners of war. They met for the first time at their wedding, which was held in war torn Halland. It was supposed to be held in Halmstad, but was changed in the last minute and held in Skottorp castle earlier than planned, mainly to fool the French ambassador Grin

Ulrika Eleonora

Karl, being a shy, difficult, grumpy and harsh person with a temper, did show his wife some kindness too. After their first daughter was born, he kept himself busy in her room, trying to make her more comfortable and comforted her when she cried because she had given birth to a girl. In just six and a half year, the couple had seven children, of which only three survived. In 1685, they lost their sons Fredrik, Ulrik and Gustav.

He also wrote a diary, and after the loss of his third son he wrote "But as the divine ruler has pleased shortly after also this long-awaited child and little delight quickly from this transience was called into his Heavenly home, so is the joy soon disappeared and into new grief transformed."

He also wrote to a friend, " I had not thought that it would be so hard on ones soul,  the sense of losing a child, like me, God better, this time has had to feel. "
The queen was weak and the many pregnancies and the lack of happiness at the court made her ill. When she was dying, Karl spent his days by her side, and was deep in mourning after her death. On his own deathbed some years later, he said that he had never had one happy day, after her death. At the end of his life, he suffered from severe pain and it was thought that he had been poisoned (the Danish ambassador wrote about the hateful atmosphere). After his death, it was found that he had hundreds of cancer tumors in his stomach.

His clothes, photo credits Livrustkammaren
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:48:16 PM by Idun » Logged
Bystander

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Monaco's social elite are jealous of me

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »

We should have a portrait of him too  Yes

Thanks for all history lessons, Idun! Interesting how the king's body is painted in such disproportion. I wonder why the minimization of the head and focus on the other parts of the body, especially the torso.

Monaco's fairytale love story: post-engagement

PPDA: And this was the woman whom you needed?
Albert: I think...
Reporter: "Is Charlene Wittstock your soulmate?"
Albert: "I don't know if she is ...I don't know yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: