Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish history, culture and miscellaneous thread  (Read 100128 times)
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »

Star for Idun!!!

brilliant history lesson... Banana

could you please tell me why your national colours are navy blue with yellow, please?

tak tak Angel

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Rearden

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 12:19:07 PM »

Jumping  Star

I have to read it with more calm and afterwards I will ask you some of the things I haven't understand well  Yes

But thanks again your posts are very appreciated  Smiley

"You can never be too rich or too thin" - HRH The Duchess of Windsor Cambridge
Idun

Huge Member

Vatican City State Vatican City State

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 09:02:27 PM »

Bystander, you're right about the portrait  Thinking I'm not certain why he was painted that way, but I know it was painted during the war in a camp, so it was probably the best painter available in that war camp who painted this. Of course, that painter would not be as skilled as an ordinary portrait painter. The other explanation is that the painter expected to add a huge wig to the portrait, which could explain why the face is small, but then again, it was well-known that the king never wore a wig and wished to be portrayed the way he looked. The torso (belly) was usually made big during this period, it was the fashion of the time  Crazy

Star  Star  Star and lots of  Hug to all of you, Geta, Rearden and Bystander.

I had to check about the flag, I didn't know much myself  Blush but all the Nordic countries has a cross in the flag, it's a symbol of our common heritage  Yes The first Nordic flag with this symbol was the Danish Dannebrogen, and then the rest followed their example. The colors are derived from the Swedish coat of arms (established in 15th century), with the three golden or yellow crowns in a blue field and the Lion crest, used by the Folkunga dynasty, which ruled Sweden from 1250-1364. The lion crest is also mainly blue and yellow, and at the time, the colors in a coat of arms was used as banners, shields and uniforms too, so I suppose it became a symbol for the king and then Sweden  Yes

Coat of arms of Sweden, with the Tre Kronor, the Lion crest (house of Bjälbo, "Folkunga") and the coat of arms of the Bernadottes in the middle (house of Vasa and the coat of arms of the Italian city Ponte Corvo), surrounded by the order of the Seraphim and two well behaved lions 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:24:45 PM by Idun » Logged
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 12:42:41 AM »

ok Idun, here I go. Please correct me if I'm totally off the course here. i'll just put me interest in symbols colours and tell you what I see on your emblem?

Fluer de Lis
maltese cross
rampant Lions
Orthodox crosses

but i don't the following:

the jug looking thing with round flower thing on its top Blush
the hexagonal face figures in between the croses

and of course the three colours: burgandy, the blue and the yellow (there is always some significance to these colours...like Danes have Red, and so on..)

tak appreciate learning all this very much

sowwy for me questions..

G Blush

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 11:10:18 AM »

Hi Geta,
the whole background is an image of an ermine mantle with black ermine spots. The mantle is a symbol of royalty, and I think the Swedish royal ermine mantles were red on the outside, although Fleur de lis would have been nice (I love that symbol) Yes You're right about the Malteser cross, and the cross used in the chain is called Cross of Lorraine or Patriarchal cross, but as you say, it is mainly used in Orthodox countries. Then there are seraphs, or seraphs heads, between the crosses

The grand star with seraphs seen at the bottom of the Seraphim order, there are also three nails under one crown (in memory of the crucifixion), and the text IHS, meaning Iesus Hominum Salvator.

http://i.pbase.com/u11/st...ussia_Moscow6_Kremlin.jpg
Wonderful Russian ermine mantle, it also has those golden ropes/tassels used to hold the mantle  Drool

Photo credit: Livrustkammaren

Swedish ermine mantle, used for Adolf Fredriks coronation in 1751, worn with these silver clothes;

Photo credit; Livrustkammaren
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 12:52:29 PM »

Oh Idun, I luv this sort of stuff!

I owe you a  Star when the time allows

tak for all this info Hug

G Smiley

Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 08:52:07 PM »

Odette, I'm working with Gustav III, in the meantime, enjoy the view  Smiley

Drottningholm

Visby city wall (photo credit Ulf Bodin)

Visby

Heart of Stockholm

This amazing photo was taken after the storm Gudrun, the white lines are roads, the trees used to grow in the brown area, but fell during the storm, and now it all looks like one big tree  Cute

Photo credit Joakim Berglund

Ale Stenar

Old town, Stockholm

Stunning photo from a graveyard in a cold Uppsala  Shocked
http://farm4.static.flick...3156774473_ddf5cdda35.jpg
Odette

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 09:37:59 PM »

Thumb up Thumb up Thumb up Thumb up Thumb up
Ohhh Idun, these photos are fabulous.  At first glance I got goose bumps.  Beautiful (I have to get to Sweden soon, and even tho Danish is in my heritage, I like the sound of Swedish much better.  Denmark has no one comparable to Ingmar Bergman (late) either).

Thank you  Hug really beautiful and Quelle Surprise!
  Star in 24
Bystander

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Monaco's social elite are jealous of me

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »

Visby

Thanks for all the photos. The rooftops colors are so vibrant. Beautiful!

This amazing photo was taken after the storm Gudrun, the white lines are roads, the trees used to grow in the brown area, but fell during the storm, and now it all looks like one big tree  Cute

Amazing, how ironic.

Monaco's fairytale love story: post-engagement

PPDA: And this was the woman whom you needed?
Albert: I think...
Reporter: "Is Charlene Wittstock your soulmate?"
Albert: "I don't know if she is ...I don't know yet.
Bystander

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Monaco's social elite are jealous of me

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »

Do any of you know the story (official and real) behind the broken engagement of Crown Prince Frederik IX of Denmark and Princess Olga of Greece? 

Monaco's fairytale love story: post-engagement

PPDA: And this was the woman whom you needed?
Albert: I think...
Reporter: "Is Charlene Wittstock your soulmate?"
Albert: "I don't know if she is ...I don't know yet.
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2010, 10:17:19 PM »

Odette, I'm working with Gustav III, in the meantime, enjoy the view  Smiley

Drottningholm

Visby city wall (photo credit Ulf Bodin)

Visby

Heart of Stockholm

Ale Stenar

Old town, Stockholm

Stunning photo from a graveyard in a cold Uppsala  Shocked
http://farm4.static.flick...3156774473_ddf5cdda35.jpg
Wow, gorgeous pictures! Star  Although I've always wanted to go to Sweden this thread and pictures are making my (still imaginary) trip much more exciting!

Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »

That's wonderful Clara  Banana  Star when are you coming here? 

For Odette, the life and story of Gustav III  Champagne

Gustav was the eldest son of Adolf Fredrik and Lovisa Ulrika, sister to Fredrik II of Prussia, known as Fredrik the Great, and Gustav himself was also the cousin of Catherine the Great of Russia.

Lovisa Ulrika

He had two younger brothers, Fredrik Adolf (1750-1803) and Karl XIII (1748-1818) and one younger sister, Sofia Albertina (1753-1829). His brother Fredrik Adolf, was called “the most beautiful prince in Europe”, I doubt we’d agree about that today though his brother Karl XIII would eventually become king of Sweden and adoptive father of Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, he had no children of his own, but had a very intelligent wife who wrote a famous diary about her life. His mother, Lovisa Ulrika, was a rather special woman, being a good friend of Carl von Linné, she was interested in science and biology. She suffered miscarriages, and “saved” the fosters in jars. She was described as a beautiful, intelligent woman, the only thing that wasn’t beautiful was her ear. During a thunderstorm, her mother had slapped her and the ring got stuck in the child’s earring, as a result, a piece of the ear was ripped off.

The brothers, by Roslin

In 1766, he felt obliged to marry the Danish princess Sofia Magdalena (1746-1813), a princess his mother never accepted. Gustav, being a promising an intelligent man, participated in politics early on, and in 1771 he went to France for negotiations. During that visit, his father, who had been appointed king of Sweden by the Russian empress, died on February 12th 1771 in the evening, after having had his dinner. His death is very famous, since it’s said that he died after having eaten to many semlor (traditional Swedish cookie the king loved). Count Johan Gabriel Oxenstierna wrote “it’s not dying in the most gloryful way…” Gustav was informed about his death in Paris, while watching an opera.

Semlor  Drool

At this point, Swedish politics were chaotic. After the death of Karl XII, the land was exhausted, the glory days were over and the consequences of absolutism well known. Measures were taken so that no king would ever have that much power again, the nobility, who had lost a great deal of their power after the bloodbath in Linköping and the reduction, now grew stronger. Gustav’s father had no real power, when he refused to approve of the decisions that had already been made, a stamp with him signature was made and used to give his “approval”.

I couldn't find the stamp, although it is preserved, but here's a sample of it

In 1756, his wife Lovisa Ulrika, planned a coup d’etat to restore their power, and even pawned the regalia. The coup however, was discovered in time.
In 1772, Gustav did the same, but this time, the coup was successful. He wished to rule as an enlighten king, and he did many good things; he banned torture, temporarily stopped the death penalty of which he was opposing, increased the religious freedom and allowed Jews to live in Sweden, and he was the first head of state to acknowledge USA as an independent nation.

His family life was tragic, after having been cold to his wife for years, he realised that he needed an heir. Not sure how to get one, he asked his good friend Munck for advice. After the pregnancy had been announced, rumours were spread that Munck was the father, Gustavs mother believed that too. Because of her cold and brutal behavior, she was forced to ask for forgivness in public, Sofia Magdalena vowed never to see her or speak to her again, Gustav met her one more time, when she died. The rumours are captured in Sergels drawing (NSFW Grin) The square Sergels Torg is named after this Sergel.
http://upload.wikimedia.o...h_Adolf_Fredrik_Munck.jpg

The couple had two children, but lost their youngest son due to the doctors incompetence, after that, their marriage once again deteriorated.

In 1788-90, Sweden fought a war with Russia, during which the Finnish nobility conspired against the king. As a result, Gustav had the persons from the leading nobility arrested, like Axel von Fersen the older. After the peace, he started planning a new war, to stop the revolution in France as he was a friend of the FRF.

Sofia Magdalena

However, during the winter 1791/92 a new conspiracy brewed among the nobility, many of them came from old, well-respected families, such as Bielke, Horn and Ribbing. The most famous one, is of course Jacob Johan Anckarström. The 16th of March 1792, the king attended a masquerade in Stockholm, despite having been warned about that a murder was planned. At the masquerade, the conspirators approached the king and surrounded him. Anckarström said "Bonjour, beau masque" before firing the gun.

The masque and the weapons Anckarström used when he shot the king and the costume worn by the king the same evening.

The king died on the 29th of March, of his injuries. Before he died, he asked that his murderer would not be executed, a wish that was not respected. However, only Anckarström was held responsible for the deed, and killed. Gustavs brother, Karl XIII, ordered the police to stop the investigation because of the amount of suspects and conspirators and their position in the society "no one can know where this will end, so I'll simply cut the thread" he said, but he himself is suspected to have known...
tigerben
Board Helper
Humongous Member

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 09:47:06 PM »

Idun Curtsey Curtsey Curtsey Curtsey Curtsey Curtsey Brilliant really, really brilliant.. Star
Odette

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 09:55:20 PM »

Idun, Princess of the Fjords, thank you  for all the interesting information about Gustav.  I had not real concept of his history, how interesting.
His mother Louiva certainly was unusual,  keeping fosters, my?
 Champagne  Star
Tak
Idun

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »

Star  Star for you too, Tiger and Odette (in 24), glad you like it  Champagne

Now here's a little story about the Jukkasjärvi ice-hotel, I posted one pic in another thread. The first hotel was built in 1990, although it was not intended to be used as a hotel, but the guests asked to be allowed to sleep in the building and that's how the tradition was started.
Every year a new ice-hotel is built, close to the Torne river. It's from that very river all the ice is collected, and then in the summer (may-june), it mealts down and the water sips back.  Everything is made of ice, even the glasses, statues, and the beds. Every hotel is unique and new artists are invited to create them  Yes Enjoy the masterpiece

The church, where weddings are held  Yes

The wedding suite

The Dragon Room

A somewhat different hotel lobby  the chandeliers are also made of ice

A Saab commercial  http://automotorsport.se/.../Saab_AeroX_ice_3_big.jpg
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: