Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos  (Read 230001 times)
Tinika

Big Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: February 01, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »

Princess Beatrice has something of Margaret in her looks I think.  I don't think Bea is a pretty girl at all but there is some sort of a resemblance.  The cheeks maybe?
Celia

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #916 on: February 01, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »

Okay, if we're going to look at the Victorians...  You can't beat Marie of Edinburgh or Ella of Hesse. 
rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: February 02, 2017, 12:01:04 AM »

Yes, Marie of Edinbugh (Romania) was truly lovely. I didn't put Ella (who looks ethereal in some photos) or Alex of Hesse down in my post on pretty British Victorian princesses because they were Hessian royals really, not British, in spite of Princess Alice being their mother. I do think the young Ella was the most beautiful royal of her generation, though.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: February 02, 2017, 09:36:56 AM »

Okay, if we're going to look at the Victorians...  You can't beat Marie of Edinburgh or Ella of Hesse. 

Marie

Ella:

Ellie

Warned
Huge Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: February 02, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »

One of those pictures of Marie is one of her daughters, I think Maria herself, who was nicknamed Mignon, and the last picture of Ella is actually Alix.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: February 02, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »

One of those pictures of Marie is one of her daughters, I think Maria herself, who was nicknamed Mignon, and the last picture of Ella is actually Alix.

Thank you for the correction!  Thumb up
Ellie

Warned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: February 02, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »

No problem!

I'm pretty sure that is Marie/Mignon.

Marie's sister Beatrice, aka Baby Bea, was attractive but nobody could hold a candle to Ella or Alix of Hesse...

I remember reading how Baby Bea was addicted to drama and starting rumors and gossip. She was a troublemaker, like her sisters!
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: February 02, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »

I find many of the women average at best, but with excellent hairstyles and beautiful fitting clothes. It is a tad like today;
most oft the royals today are nothing to write home about, in best case scenarios they too had a good stylist doing their hair and make-up professionally.
But like today, back then princesses were "beautiful" - that was simply the accepted rule. A poor darling had to be exceptionally ugly to not being hailed as "lovely" "great beauty" etc...

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Celia

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: February 02, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »

Marie wrote about her cousin Ella, who was married to Marie's uncle, in her autobiography, as the most beautiful creature she'd ever seen.  Most people who knew Ella agreed.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: February 02, 2017, 05:01:45 PM »

I find many of the women average at best, but with excellent hairstyles and beautiful fitting clothes. It is a tad like today;
most oft the royals today are nothing to write home about, in best case scenarios they too had a good stylist doing their hair and make-up professionally.
But like today, back then princesses were "beautiful" - that was simply the accepted rule. A poor darling had to be exceptionally ugly to not being hailed as "lovely" "great beauty" etc...

Bummer, I wrote a large comment. But it dissappeared with my time out on RD. Normally I can simply log in again and retrive my not posted post, but this time it didn't work that way. Therefore hereby the repeat:

Perhaps some examples of royal women conceived as non attractive:
Princess Louise of the Netherlands (5 August 1828, The Hague, Netherlands ? 30 March 1871, Stockholm, Sweden)

Her father was Prince Frederik of the Netherlands, the second child of King Willem I of the Netherlands and Wilhelmina of Prussia. Her mother Louise was the eighth child of King Frederick Wilhem III of Prussia and Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

In 1849, Louise was selected as a suitable marriage partner for Crown Prince Carl of Sweden and Norway, the son of King Oscar I of Sweden and Norway and Josephine of Leuchtenberg. The marriage was arranged after the negotiations to arrange a marriage between Carl and a Prussian princess had failed. King Oscar I of Sweden wished to secure royal family connections between the new Bernadotte dynasty and the old royal dynasties of Europe, and a Protestant princess was also seen as a necessary queen of the Protestant Sweden-Norway after two Catholic predecessors. Louise fulfilled these credentials, and a great dowry was expected from the rich House of Orange-Nassau. Cabinet secretary L Manderstr?m was sent to inspect her, and diplomatically let it be known in his report that Louise had an excellent education and a good character but that she was not attractive. In August 1849, a meeting was arranged between Louise and Charles in the Hague. Reportedly, Louise fell in love with Carl and felt an immediate attraction, while Carl in contrast was disappointed in her appearance. Carl, however, was convinced to agree to the marriage by the King.

Princess Mathilde of Saxony, Duchess of Saxony (19 March 1863, Dresden, Saxony ? 27 March 1933, Dresden, Saxony, Germany)

The third child and third-eldest daughter of George of Saxony and his wife, Maria Anna of Portugal. She was an elder sister of the Kingdom of Saxony's last king, Friedrich Augustus III of Saxony.

As a young girl, Mathilde was quiet and gentle, but she was not especially good-looking. Her father, George of Saxony, had planned a marriage between Mathilde and Archduke Rudolf, Crown Prince of Austria, Hungary, and Bohemia, however Rudolf rejected this arrangement and instead married Princess St?phanie of Belgium.

It was then agreed that Mathilde would marry a nephew of Emperor Franz Joseph I and the presumptive heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, Archduke Franz Ferdinand. However, dynastic relations between the Saxon royal family and the Habsburgs were once again strained when Franz Ferdinand chose to marry morganatically Sophie Chotek, Countess of Chotkov and Vojn?n. (Relations between the two nations improved only when Mathilde's younger sister Maria Josepha married her second cousin, Archduke Otto Francis.)

Mathilde became embittered by these rejections and turned critical and waspish; she also turned to alcohol to ease her unhappiness, acquiring the nickname "Schnapps-Mathilde" for obvious reasons. She made life difficult for other members of the royal family, and as a consequence was the least popular of the family by a wide margin among the people of Saxony.

And IMO Lady Louise Mountbatten (previously princess Louise of Battenberg), 2nd wife of widower King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden, isn't a beauty either. But there is something in her appareance on pictures, that attracts me. She comes across as a (very) likeable person. She is by the way the step-grandmother of current Swedish king CG.

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #925 on: February 02, 2017, 05:10:28 PM »

And in recent times Elena of Spain is often considered unattractive:

Duchess of Verona

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #926 on: February 03, 2017, 10:51:20 PM »

^ As her mother Queen Sofia. The homely is strong among the females of that family. Luckily, Leti has bred some pretty into the bloodline.
Lady Adelaide

Gigantic Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #927 on: February 06, 2017, 03:15:09 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.u...trait-sapphire-Queen.html

The Queen today marks her Sapphire Jubilee as she becomes the first British monarch in history to have reigned for 65 years.
To mark her latest milestone, a poignant photograph of her wearing a suite of sapphire jewellery given to her by her father King George VI as a wedding gift in 1947 has been issued.

rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #928 on: February 06, 2017, 03:54:53 PM »

Congratulations to Queen Elizabeth on her 65th anniversary of ascending the throne, she's the sapphire Queen in more ways than one.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #929 on: February 06, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »

The blue of her dress is far too bright almost harsh and takes the focus away from the sapphires and the queen.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: