Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos  (Read 306713 times)
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #960 on: January 05, 2019, 02:14:06 AM »

They look sad in this picture, don't they? England ex King Edward VIII and his spouse.

I think they were aiming for regal, serious, aloof, royal.

Wallis especially looks defeated, especially in the years since, where letters were discovered that finds her saying basically 'well I'm in it now and I hate my life.' Who did she send the letters to? None other to the husband she divorced to marry David.

What a screwed up life. They paid in spades and bitterness.

cordtx

Warned
Ginormous Member

Ignore
« Reply #961 on: January 05, 2019, 02:52:56 AM »

Agree, from the biographies Iíve read of Wallis , she just wanted to have an affair and play around she did not want to marry David
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #962 on: January 05, 2019, 03:09:35 AM »

Agree, from the biographies Iíve read of Wallis , she just wanted to have an affair and play around she did not want to marry David

yes, that" s my recollection from her biographies as well. she was quite angry when David lost the crown.

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #963 on: January 05, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »

yes, that" s my recollection from her biographies as well. she was quite angry when David lost threw away the crown.

G Smiley

FTFY.

Oh yes, because then she was trapped. It wouldn't be seemly for her to walk away once he'd done that for her. He even played the suicide card to keep her at one point before the abdication. What awful dynamics.
No wonder she treated him so contemptuously for most of their marriage.

But you know the saying, right? "Play b*tch games, win b*tch prizes." She won one of the greatest prizes in existence.

Cautionary words for someone else we know, eh?  Whistle

Diogenes
Board Helper
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #964 on: January 05, 2019, 01:58:33 PM »

yes, that" s my recollection from her biographies as well. she was quite angry when David lost threw away the crown.

G Smiley

FTFY.

Oh yes, because then she was trapped. It wouldn't be seemly for her to walk away once he'd done that for her. He even played the suicide card to keep her at one point before the abdication. What awful dynamics.

But you know the saying, right? "Play b*tch games, win b*tch prizes." She won one of the greatest prizes in existence.

Not sure David was such a great prize ... not before he abdicated, and certainly not after.
anastasia beaverhausen

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #965 on: January 05, 2019, 03:20:57 PM »

G Smiley

FTFY.

Not sure David was such a great prize ... not before he abdicated, and certainly not after.

Lady Alice  Star, thanks for the laugh!

I think David was seen as a prize to the world at large when he was PoW.  I think there was even a song written about him. However I agree that the scales fell rapidly off everyoneís eyes with the abdication and dalliance with Nazi Germany.
Booklover

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #966 on: January 05, 2019, 06:14:16 PM »

G Smiley

FTFY.

He wasn't but neither was she. She left a perfectly decent husband to have a fling with a Prince. She deserves what she ended up with. IMO.
kingcanut

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #967 on: January 05, 2019, 07:43:39 PM »

They look sad in this picture, don't they? England ex King Edward VIII and his spouse.

I doubt that after I saw the picture below which seemed to be taken on the same event. To me they really look unhappy.
Btw, thanks everyone for her life story.

"Think and let think".
Kaiserin

Gigantic Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #968 on: January 05, 2019, 07:51:13 PM »

"The event" these pictures have been taken was their wedding day.
Never seen a couple looking so sour on what ought to be a happy day, or THE happiest day of their life ...
kingcanut

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #969 on: January 05, 2019, 08:19:40 PM »

Never seen a couple looking so sour on what ought to be a happy day, or THE happiest day of their life ...
OMG, that was in their wedding day  Yikes Sweating

"Think and let think".
ElisaRose

Mini Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #970 on: January 05, 2019, 09:04:06 PM »

OMG, that was in their wedding day  Yikes Sweating
The photo is quite telling. The story of Wallis and David is such a dramatic one. Classis example of the proverb: be (very) careful what you wish for. For Wallis it started like a flirt and then David got hooked and gave up everything for her. He was a man child and she was bored from day 1 with him but could not get out anymore and spent rest of her life regretting it all. She just spent, spent, spent to forget and to not think about what her life could have been like. There indeed could be a few parallels here with a certain new duchess.  Secret

"I always had a dread of becoming a passenger in life.Ē HRH The Princess Margaret
jolene

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #971 on: January 06, 2019, 05:37:10 AM »

The History Chicks did a great podcast on her (I found this site via a link on their site). The Wallis eps are 93 & 94.
http://thehistorychicks.com/
Ellie

Warned
Humongous Member

proud moron thx Scooby Doo

Ignore
« Reply #972 on: January 06, 2019, 09:43:31 AM »

A fascinating documentary is on Youtube about her letters to her husband Ernest Simpson, which shows us her state of mind. She did NOT want to marry David, not at all, and was cornered into it like a dying animal. It's a bit pathetic and sad, really. Here is a link.

writing angry fauxminist letters in the Lesbaru
Tatini

Gigantic Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #973 on: January 06, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »

I doubt that after I saw the picture below which seemed to be taken on the same event. To me they really look unhappy.
Btw, thanks everyone for her life story.

These look like funeral pictures.  Yikes
CathyJane

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #974 on: January 06, 2019, 09:14:49 PM »

I think he saw her as a way to get out of being King. I always had my doubt that they actually loved each other; they just used each other to get what they wanted. I don't think David had the nerve to kill himself if Wallis had actually left him, but who knows.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: