Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 214   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norwegian Royal News  (Read 853047 times)
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3150 on: December 27, 2021, 06:30:23 PM »

I love the glimpses of royals' desks and private rooms.  His mother's photo on one side, an obvious "royal mob" photo on the other from some big event...  The eagle inkstand in the center of his desk looks very American-presidential --maybe from FDR?  Charming!

Harald was at FDR's last inauguration so maybe it is from him

Harald would have been only 7 or 8 years old, maybe you are thinking of Olav? King Olav's wife, Princess Märtha, is rumored to have had an affair with FDR so there is definitely a family connection Cool
LadyBunion

Huge Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3151 on: December 27, 2021, 08:48:49 PM »

I love the glimpses of royals' desks and private rooms.  His mother's photo on one side, an obvious "royal mob" photo on the other from some big event...  The eagle inkstand in the center of his desk looks very American-presidential --maybe from FDR?  Charming!

Harald would have been only 7 or 8 years old, maybe you are thinking of Olav? King Olav's wife, Princess Märtha, is rumored to have had an affair with FDR so there is definitely a family connection Cool

Olan stayed in London  - Harald was very young but was at the inauguration - he lived in the States during WW2  - he made this speech at a later date:

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
(Oslo, Norway)
For Immediate Release      November 1, 1999

REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT
AND HIS MAJESTY KING HARALD V.
IN EXCHANGE OF TOASTS

The Royal Palace
Oslo, Norway

1:26 P.M. (L)

HIS MAJESTY KING HARALD V: Mr. President, your excellencies, ladies and gentlemen. Even the longest journey starts with a small step. But your visit, Mr. President, is a giant leap forward for our already excellent bilateral relations. Few people know that you were in Oslo as a student. This time, the whole nation will remember your visit. I wish you a warm welcome to the true and tender north.

I, personally, feel a special affinity for the United States, which dates from my childhood. Following the occupation of Norway in 1940, my mother accepted an invitation from President Roosevelt to take refuge in the United States. One thing I remember quite clearly is standing right behind President Roosevelt when he was sworn in for his first term.

Roosevelt children + Norwegian Royal Children 1945 inauguration day
karma chamelion

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #3152 on: December 27, 2021, 10:06:11 PM »

I love the glimpses of royals' desks and private rooms.  His mother's photo on one side, an obvious "royal mob" photo on the other from some big event...  The eagle inkstand in the center of his desk looks very American-presidential --maybe from FDR?  Charming!

Olan stayed in London  - Harald was very young but was at the inauguration - he lived in the States during WW2  - he made this speech at a later date:

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
(Oslo, Norway)
For Immediate Release      November 1, 1999

REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT
AND HIS MAJESTY KING HARALD V.
IN EXCHANGE OF TOASTS

The Royal Palace
Oslo, Norway

1:26 P.M. (L)

HIS MAJESTY KING HARALD V: Mr. President, your excellencies, ladies and gentlemen. Even the longest journey starts with a small step. But your visit, Mr. President, is a giant leap forward for our already excellent bilateral relations. Few people know that you were in Oslo as a student. This time, the whole nation will remember your visit. I wish you a warm welcome to the true and tender north.

I, personally, feel a special affinity for the United States, which dates from my childhood. Following the occupation of Norway in 1940, my mother accepted an invitation from President Roosevelt to take refuge in the United States. One thing I remember quite clearly is standing right behind President Roosevelt when he was sworn in for his first term.

Roosevelt children + Norwegian Royal Children 1945 inauguration day

Thank you for the answer and the photo, I understand the reference now. I've never seen the photo before, it's very sweet. Star
getafix

Most Exalted Member

Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

Bye-Bye MEDiana Who!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #3153 on: December 27, 2021, 10:47:00 PM »

I love the glimpses of royals' desks and private rooms.  His mother's photo on one side, an obvious "royal mob" photo on the other from some big event...  The eagle inkstand in the center of his desk looks very American-presidential --maybe from FDR?  Charming!

there are two eagles on his desk.

what are the round disc things on his desk?

perwinkle ITA!  Star

G Smiley

ANDREW DENTON: Yes. What did... When you first met, what did you see in each other? CROWN PRINCE FREDERIK: What did we see in each other? We saw... Well, it's a bit hard. It's a bit blurry, in a way, because it was just after the Olympics had started and it was one of those evenings where...
Larzen

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #3154 on: December 28, 2021, 09:16:51 AM »

Harald has a lightness to him that seems lacking in Haakon. Sonja is also a lighter partner than MM so that might be some of it because I have seen a sparkle in Haakon but he mostly comes across as pleasant and nice but without anything like a rapier wit or a mischievous twinkle. I hope that desk is from FDR that would be a wonderful treasure and nice connection between the US and Norway.

Yes Harald has that now, but he did not really have that when he was crown Prince and early in his reign in his 50s and early 60s, he was grey, correct and boring, his speeches were not memorable. His wife was even more  correct and stiff, not strange considering her difficult start. I would say Sonja has opened up and softened after becomming a grandmother and starting to be more open and personal about her interest in art. I have said it before, other monarchies might long for younger and more glam regents, in Norway the older and closer to the end the better and more popular🥳   Both Haakon and  Ingrid are WAY more outgoing and open than Harald ever was at their age. They just need 20 to 40 years respectivly and we will love them as well🤪🤪
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #3155 on: January 13, 2022, 05:42:20 PM »

Haakon and ML attended the World Para Snow Sports Championships held in Lillehammer

Larzen

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #3156 on: January 18, 2022, 09:01:33 PM »

The royal family is looking forward to the Olympics
This year, the Royal Family will follow the Winter Olympics and cheer on the Norwegian athletes in front of the TV screen. The royal family, like large parts of Norway, will follow the games with great zeal.

The Olympics and the Paralympic Games in Beijing will not take place with international audiences, and the very strict travel and infection control rules during the Olympics have made a visit to the Games difficult to carry out. As a result, there will unfortunately be no presence from the Royal Family during the Olympic or Paralympic Games in Beijing 2022.

The royal family wishes the Norwegian athletes and support staff good luck in Beijing.

Very, very wise decision and not just because of covid, but because  of the human rights situation in China, many of the athletes has been criticised because they go and compete in China and dont want to comment on the human rights abuses that take place there. Some time ago there were an article where it was said the RF and the goverment would go. Many papers criticise the goverment for not boycotting like the dutch goverment do. Now the RF dont have to be a part of this ongoing discussion..and they can post some photos of the royal watching Norwegian gold medals in the middle of the night to instagram... and host a recpetion for them when they all come home.
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #3157 on: January 21, 2022, 12:31:37 PM »

A Council of State was held at the Royal Palace today

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #3158 on: January 21, 2022, 12:34:06 PM »

Including IA this time, so to see  Grin
Larzen

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #3159 on: January 21, 2022, 01:22:11 PM »

Only as an observer, she has no place there until her father is the King. Its held every friday, and is I guess a constant torn in the calendar of the ministers  who have to make time for it in their busy calendars:Smiley
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #3160 on: February 16, 2022, 07:25:38 PM »

Sonja and MM attended the premiere of the film "Margrete: Queen of the North"

Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #3161 on: March 03, 2022, 10:36:06 AM »

Two weeks ago, The NRF went on a family vacation to the Caribbean to celebrate Harald's 85th birthday

Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #3162 on: March 06, 2022, 10:40:37 PM »

Holmenkollen Ski Festival

Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #3163 on: March 06, 2022, 11:57:32 PM »

bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #3164 on: March 07, 2022, 12:18:39 AM »

I have always wanted to go to the Holmenkollen festival. Every time I get to Oslo, somehow I end up on the big hill behind the city, looking up at that massive ski jump.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 214   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: