Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Spencers  (Read 228362 times)
Booklover

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #645 on: February 24, 2021, 06:20:24 PM »

She is still so young! She shouldn't be doing anything to herself.
sugarcookie

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #646 on: March 08, 2021, 03:20:33 PM »

https://www.dailymail.co....ins-wreck-White-Ship.html

Earl Spencer has written a book that chronicles the death of the only legitimate son of Henry I. Henry I was a son of William the Conqueror.

There is some interesting history in the article. Robert of Gloucester  and the Anarchy are mentioned.

The Earl has organized a diving expedition that will look for any remains of the wreck.
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #647 on: March 09, 2021, 12:48:17 AM »

sugarcookie, Thank you for the interesting information. I have in the past been learning about how King Henry I had tried to have the barons recognize his daughter Matilda as the heiress apparent.
sugarcookie

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #648 on: March 09, 2021, 05:32:22 PM »

I am glad you liked it. I hope that some artifacts from the White Ship (and other historical wrecks) will be found. I look forward to more on the subject from Earl Spencer.

According to the article, the 12th century disaster seemed to have caused chaos across England and eventually led to the years of Anarchy.
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #649 on: March 09, 2021, 10:17:51 PM »

Charles Spencer wrote several biographies of historic figures https://www.amazon.com/s?...ooks&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
CyrilSebastian

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #650 on: March 09, 2021, 11:26:10 PM »

Charles Spencer wrote several biographies of historic figures https://www.amazon.com/s?...ooks&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I highly recommend The Spencers: A Personal History of an English Family. It is excellently written.
Duchess of Verona

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #651 on: March 09, 2021, 11:59:52 PM »

I completely concur. He's on many documentaries available on youtube as well. He's quite knowledgable.
Cordelia Fitzgerald

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #652 on: March 10, 2021, 12:57:14 AM »

I recently learned that George Washington's ancestors were distant relatives of the Spencers and came to work for them when they fell on hard times; it was actually the Spencer family that funded Washington's ancestors' passage to America!
sugarcookie

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #653 on: March 10, 2021, 01:54:24 AM »

It seems that the Spencers have a number of interesting members in the family tree. I was surprised to read about Ignatius Spencer, Diana's great-great-great uncle who may become sainted by the Pope!

https://www.dailymail.co....tep-closer-sainthood.html
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #654 on: March 10, 2021, 05:42:04 AM »

Id always assumed Earl Spencer was a pompous a** and was pleasantly surprised when he showed up in a documentary I was watching and was quite good and clearly a legitimate expert on the topic.
Lady Alice

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #655 on: March 10, 2021, 02:49:25 PM »

Id always assumed Earl Spencer was a pompous a** and was pleasantly surprised when he showed up in a documentary I was watching and was quite good and clearly a legitimate expert on the topic.

One can be both. It's just nice to know he has a side that is for the greater good. The preservation of history is so important.

CathyJane

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #656 on: March 11, 2021, 09:42:26 PM »

Indeed it is, Lady Alice! So much history is being erased or trying to be anymore. Yes a lot of history was terrible but that's the way it was then. Charles Spencer has a great speaking voice as well as being knowledgeable.
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #657 on: March 11, 2021, 10:18:09 PM »

Yes, it's nice to see an aristocrat being useful. I remember, not personally, that landed, wealthy aristos and royalty contributed much to archaeology, art, music, and many cultural things that we continue to enjoy for hundreds of years. I think I've wondered on this board before if any royal has become a legitimate professional and expert in something, not just living a vapid almost Eurotrash life of parties, fashion, and travel. I'd wished Harry would become something, but he clearly does not have the brain power to be much of anything. If only he'd discovered a passion he could turn into something legit, like Princess Margaret's son did. Although, I have heard he is not the best business man.

Harry should have been tracked to go into the trades, or helped to find something he was actually good at. But of course, he'd have to have motivation and an understanding of himself. He seems to have neither.

Earl Spencer must be doing some things right because he can hold on to his family's very old and very must-be-expensive-to-keep-up estate and is a historian, too.

Yes, he is both.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: