Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 235   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sophie, The Countess of Wessex  (Read 960324 times)
lilyrose

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3465 on: June 09, 2020, 08:13:13 AM »

People already has quotes Sunday Times interview, Sophie talks about how she and Edward have raised James and Louise with the knowledge that they probably will not be working members of the royal family, and while they still legally have their HRH and titles, they likely won't ever use them; Louise will stay Lady Louise and James will be Viscount Severn until he eventually becomes Earl of Wessex/Duke of Edinburgh after his dad.

https://people.com/royals...g-mom-sophie-wessex-says/

The next 20 years are going to be interesting for the Brits. By 2040, the Queen, the two working Kent siblings, and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will either have passed on or retired, and possibly Charles, Camilla, and Anne as well. Based on the way the Millennial royals have pursued higher education/military before becoming working members of the family, I'm wondering how much Edward and Sophie will have to take on as the most senior (age-wise) royals, especially if neither their children nor the York girls end up being working royals. Downsizing from 16 working royals to 4 or so will be tough, but I think we will see the Wessexes to really step it up in the next couple decades.
llcd

Baby Member

Brazil Brazil

Ignore
« Reply #3466 on: June 09, 2020, 03:48:55 PM »

People already has quotes Sunday Times interview, Sophie talks about how she and Edward have raised James and Louise with the knowledge that they probably will not be working members of the royal family, and while they still legally have their HRH and titles, they likely won't ever use them; Louise will stay Lady Louise and James will be Viscount Severn until he eventually becomes Earl of Wessex/Duke of Edinburgh after his dad.

The next 20 years are going to be interesting for the Brits. By 2040, the Queen, the two working Kent siblings, and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will either have passed on or retired, and possibly Charles, Camilla, and Anne as well. Based on the way the Millennial royals have pursued higher education/military before becoming working members of the family, I'm wondering how much Edward and Sophie will have to take on as the most senior (age-wise) royals, especially if neither their children nor the York girls end up being working royals. Downsizing from 16 working royals to 4 or so will be tough, but I think we will see the Wessexes to really step it up in the next couple decades.

Are Louise and James legally Princess Louise of Wessex and Prince James of Wessex?
That always makes me so confused. I understand they chose not to use the HRH and titles but do they have titles on their documents?
Princess MS

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3467 on: June 09, 2020, 04:05:00 PM »

Are Louise and James legally Princess Louise of Wessex and Prince James of Wessex?
That always makes me so confused. I understand they chose not to use the HRH and titles but do they have titles on their documents?

As they are male line descendants of the Queen then they are HRH .... the children of her son .... and might not be styled as Princess or Prince but they are ... they will probably be better off without it ....
A Citizen not a Subject

Warned
Large Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3468 on: June 09, 2020, 07:07:13 PM »

I thought that "Duke of Edinburgh" was only going to be given for Edward's use and not be a hereditary title.  Doesn't it merge with the crown on Philip's death, as opposed to passing to Charles as his eldest son?

I live in hope that one day I will be able to elect my Head of State.
onar

Humongous Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #3469 on: June 09, 2020, 07:16:41 PM »

With parents like Wd and Sophie, I'm sure these kids will do just fine in the(ir) future, titles or not.

Oh_Caroline

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #3470 on: June 09, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »

To things have to happen...1. Philip death and 2. the new Duke of Edinburgh (most like Charles*) becomes monarch...at which time new letters patent will be issued creating Edward and his heir male Duke of Edinburgh.  It should be a hereditary peerage for a few reasons...1. life peers are entitled to sit in the House of Lords whereas since 1999/2000 hereditary peers must be “elected”...2. the 1958 act defined life peers as Baron/Baroness only and even before then the last on Baron/Baroness life peers were created in the 1700s.

While I don’t think it’s ever been explicitly stated that it will be a hereditary peerage it would be very shocking if it wasn’t. 

*I say that only in the unlikely event that Charles predeceases Philip in which case the current succession to the DoE would go to William and then George.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Edinburgh
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:27:48 PM by Oh_Caroline » Logged
Paulina

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #3471 on: June 09, 2020, 10:27:10 PM »

I love how you know all this technical stuff, Oh-Caroline. Plus you are great with data and stats. What a great board!
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3472 on: June 10, 2020, 03:31:12 AM »

I thought that "Duke of Edinburgh" was only going to be given for Edward's use and not be a hereditary title.  Doesn't it merge with the crown on Philip's death, as opposed to passing to Charles as his eldest son?

The title will pass to Charles. The Letters Patent creating the Edinburgh title for Philip included the usual remainder 'heirs male of the body' so Charles will inherit Edinburgh from his father. The title will 'merge with the Crown' when both the Queen and Philip have died and Charles is King. Of course if Charles, William and George were to die before both The Queen and Philip then Charlotte becomes The Queen and Louis inherits all of Philip's titles.

Whether he, once he is King, then makes Edinburgh hereditary or not for Edward, and I think he will, we will have to wait and see once that happens and the Letters Patent are released.

All the other royal dukedoms have the standard remainders (other than Cornwall and Rothesay which have a range of separate rules).
SvenskaSarah

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #3473 on: June 10, 2020, 03:54:48 AM »

I'm sorry this may be a dumb question, but if/when Esward becomes the Duke of Edinburgh, does the titles of Louise or James change? Is the Viscount of Severn a hereditary title for James? Also does the newish rules of equal promigenture (sorry if not spelled right) affect the inheritance rights of Louise and James?

I would love to see Louise and Jaes eventually become working members of the royal family, but I cant see it. However I feel that they have a very grounded upbringing which would make them approachable and likeable by the British and the Commonwealth. I wonder where the Duke of Edinburgh Awards will eventually be handed to? Would Louise or James be too minor? I could see the honour being given to Charlotte or Louis to keep it an achievement deemed senior by the BRF (sorry for the slight  o/t. I do not wish this to become or contribute to a thread for o/t suggestions about the Cambridge children)
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3474 on: June 10, 2020, 06:45:16 AM »

When Edward is created Duke of Edinburgh Louise's title won't change. The title for the daughters of a Duke is the same as for the daughters of an Earl so she would remain Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor.

James' title could change. The normal process is for the heir apparent to hold the second title as a courtesy. Assuming that Edward is only given Edinburgh then James could start using Earl of Wessex as his title as that would be Edward's second title. It would be the same as the Duke of Gloucester's son using Earl of Ulster or the Duke of Kent's son using Earl of St Andrew's.

I don't see Louise and James being working royals when Charles and William have already rejected Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie from that role.

Edward will obviously retain the Duke of Edinburgh's Award and I would expect it to then go to James as the next Duke of Edinburgh. The Awards doesn't need to be connected to an HRH to have an impact (I know many kids who do the award each year ... at my school ... and who the award is named after doesn't even get mentioned while they do the programme.)
Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #3475 on: June 10, 2020, 03:13:13 PM »

When Edward is created Duke of Edinburgh Louise's title won't change. The title for the daughters of a Duke is the same as for the daughters of an Earl so she would remain Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor.

James' title could change. The normal process is for the heir apparent to hold the second title as a courtesy. Assuming that Edward is only given Edinburgh then James could start using Earl of Wessex as his title as that would be Edward's second title. It would be the same as the Duke of Gloucester's son using Earl of Ulster or the Duke of Kent's son using Earl of St Andrew's.

I don't see Louise and James being working royals when Charles and William have already rejected Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie from that role.

Edward will obviously retain the Duke of Edinburgh's Award and I would expect it to then go to James as the next Duke of Edinburgh. The Awards doesn't need to be connected to an HRH to have an impact (I know many kids who do the award each year ... at my school ... and who the award is named after doesn't even get mentioned while they do the programme.)

I think in former times (meaning during Queen Vic or King George V.), Louise would've been known as Princess Louise of Edinburgh.
luvcharles

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3476 on: June 10, 2020, 03:21:52 PM »

Under the existing Letters Patent she could easily be HRH Princess Louise of Wessex now with James HRH Prince James of Wessex but the Wessex's decided to not give their children HRH and so they are styled as the children of an Earl.

It is highly unlikely they will ever use HRH (and there is a poster on The Royal Forum who has a letter from BP saying that they were stripped of that right by the Queen before they were born ... but Sophie appears to have contradicted that with her interview).
SvenskaSarah

Large Member

Ignore
« Reply #3477 on: June 10, 2020, 05:57:00 PM »

Thank you Luvcharles and Kristallinchen for the information, a  Star to you both!
lilyrose

Mini Member

Ignore
« Reply #3478 on: June 10, 2020, 07:57:29 PM »

Under the existing Letters Patent she could easily be HRH Princess Louise of Wessex now with James HRH Prince James of Wessex but the Wessex's decided to not give their children HRH and so they are styled as the children of an Earl.

It is highly unlikely they will ever use HRH (and there is a poster on The Royal Forum who has a letter from BP saying that they were stripped of that right by the Queen before they were born ... but Sophie appears to have contradicted that with her interview).

As far as I know, there's no Letters Patent or official legal declaration about their titles, just that Edward and Sophie made the personal choice to have them styled like children of an earl. Legally, they are still HRH Princess Louise & Prince James of Wessex. I think if they had been stripped of their titles, there would have to be a legal decision to do this. George V had to go through Parliament to deprive his German cousins of their British titles and dukedoms, and the Queen even had to do a Letters Patent to make sure that Charlotte and Louis would have the same title and style as George. I don't think anything was ever officially changed for James and Louise.

But then again, BP at one point didn't even know how the line of succession worked because before they cut off the list at Zara (probably due to this mistake lol) they had the Duke of Kent's daughter listed ahead of her younger brother's children.
Lady Adelaide

Ginormous Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #3479 on: June 12, 2020, 09:33:48 PM »

https://twitter.com/Frens...tatus/1270761244392382466

"It was so lovely of Her Royal Highness the Countess of Wessex to visit us last week to thank the volunteer sewing community for their efforts over the past months and to help sew masks and cut scrubs. Thank you so much for visiting! @RoyalFamily @HMC_Org @ISC_schools"

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 235   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: