Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Royal Family of Russia  (Read 65325 times)
SydneyLux

Micro Member

Luxembourg Luxembourg

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »

Even if the hemophilia was known?

It didn't stop King Alfonso XIII of Spain marrying Ena of Battenberg.

I think, it would have depended on what terms the Romanov's would have left the country concerning possible husbands from still reigning houses. But in general I guess that there surely would have been some Romanov cousins, lesser royals/nobles or members of deposed families who would have been interested in marrying a Russian Grand Duchess. Plus, there would have been a chance of healthy sons, though I have no clue what the stage of research about hemophilia was at that time.
PrincessRoyal

Mini Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »

I've read the biography of Alexandra by Carolly Erickson that Grand Princess Olga was madly in love with a young officer and that her parents first were against a relationship but that they decided that they would give the young couple a chance after the war. Because of their assassination it never came to this closer relationship. The author talked to family members and could check really personal documents.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 11:52:37 PM »

I think two of Alfonso's sons did have hemophilia.  I don't know if the daughters married, but they were conceivably carriers.

These days hemophilia is not the death sentence it one was, or it once became again for a while during the early stages of the AIDS epidemic. Still, I think people would be very cautions about marrying someone who was the sister or daughter of someone with hemophilia.
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »

That's a very serious debate in Spanish royal forums  Wink , did he know there was a possibility (and just dismissed it thinking it wouldn't happen to him) or did he not know at all? The only clear thing is that he (they) didn't know Ena was a carrier, he would have never married her.

I think two of Alfonso's sons did have hemophilia.  I don't know if the daughters married, but they were conceivably carriers.

These days hemophilia is not the death sentence it one was, or it once became again for a while during the early stages of the AIDS epidemic. Still, I think people would be very cautions about marrying someone who was the sister or daughter of someone with hemophilia.

The eldest and the youngest were hemophilics. Both daughters married Italian aristocrats, because of the hemophilia threat they didn't have much chances of a royal wedding, in the words of a Spanish royal author "the highest they could aspire to was a Prince of Liechtenstein" It seems they weren't carriers as none of their descendants have been diagnosed with hemophilia.

When we were little and studied genetics in Biology in school one of the exercises we did was to trace the hemophilia through the SRF to "discover" that there wasn't any in the current family  Wink

Odette

Humongous Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 05:13:30 PM »

When we were little and studied genetics in Biology in school one of the exercises we did was to trace the hemophilia through the SRF to "discover" that there wasn't any in the current family  Wink

Jumping   SCHOLAR NIŅA y gracias Champagne
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »

You're very welcome Odette 
I loved that class, sometimes I regret not having studied something related to genetics and biology but I wanted to study (almost) everything when I was sixteen, choosing wasn't easy 

bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »

Does anyone know what kind of an heritability pattern is associated with porphyria? And whether it's possible to identify carriers of that gene?
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »

I think, it would have depended on what terms the Romanov's would have left the country concerning possible husbands from still reigning houses. But in general I guess that there surely would have been some Romanov cousins, lesser royals/nobles or members of deposed families who would have been interested in marrying a Russian Grand Duchess. Plus, there would have been a chance of healthy sons, though I have no clue what the stage of research about hemophilia was at that time.

But when I am correct Alfonso XIII was warned among others by his family. Furthermore they apparantly blamed Ena for the hemophilia of her youngest son Gonzalo.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 11:18:21 AM »

Smiley
During my studies the descendants of Queen Victoria of Great Britain were regulary used as an example of the inheritence of X-bound diseases within a family. Wink
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 11:26:33 AM »

Does anyone know what kind of an heritability pattern is associated with porphyria? And whether it's possible to identify carriers of that gene?

According to wikipedia:
"....Not all porphyrias are genetic, and patients with liver disease who develop porphyria as a result of liver dysfunction may exhibit other signs of their condition, such as jaundice...."

And the following site provides information about the inheritance of different kinds of porphyria:
http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/porphyria#genes
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 02:09:05 AM »

I just watched the video of the coronation of Nicolas II, apparently one of the oldest extant motion pictures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b-Cfe7fPok

Watching this reminded me of a question I've always had ever since I watched the version of ``War and Peace''' with Audrey Hepburn, and I figured that maybe someone on this list might know. In the ballroom scene, there are many dashing uniform-clad military officials and members of the nobility dancing. Many of them are wearing two jackets, one over the other, with only the right arm in a sleeve and the left side dangling. What's the significance of this?  It seems an odd quirky uniform.
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »

Classic military uniforms of I think Hussars. Esp the hungarian were fond of the pelisse over the jacket style. http://www.karnevalshop24...e_Husar_mit_Ueberwurf.jpg

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
bumbershoot

Warned
Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 06:38:11 PM »

yup, I think that's it, except the ones I remember seemed to have a dangling sleeve.
BellaBallerina

Mini Member

Dare to dream

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2012, 06:09:08 AM »

ack! Love the Russian Royal family. How am I just now coming across this (still finding my way around I guess)!?

That video was fantastic Bumbershoot, thank you for sharing it!

I think I said this in the Royal Palaces thread topic, but for those of you interested in the Russian Royal family I highly recommend the book "The Lost Fortune of the Tsars".

<3

"Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be." - Clementine Paddleford
Kuei Fei
Banned
Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2012, 01:19:44 AM »

I've read the biography of Alexandra by Carolly Erickson that Grand Princess Olga was madly in love with a young officer and that her parents first were against a relationship but that they decided that they would give the young couple a chance after the war. Because of their assassination it never came to this closer relationship. The author talked to family members and could check really personal documents.

It sounds to me like Nicholas and Alexandra really, really didn't wnat their daughters to marry at all. Life in that family must have been like living in an asylum, with Mommy Dearest the main patient and Nicholas the keeper and the kids the surrounding patients.

Such a pity that bedroom gymnastics isn't an Olympic event; Kate would have been a gold medalist of several years standing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: