Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos  (Read 63279 times)
Pomme

Big Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2015, 11:56:57 AM »

^ Is the first picture Wilhelmina with her mother Emma?

it is indeed - the unmistakable Waldeck Pyrmont cheeks!

Talk to the hair, you slitherin' Skank
http://i.imgur.com/2mUIe.jpg
Catananche

Baby Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2015, 04:19:41 PM »

^ Is the first picture Wilhelmina with her mother Emma?

Yes. Emma realised she needed the support of the country after her husband had passed away and she released pictures of Wilhelmina to introduce her to the Dutch. Emma was a clever woman who realized that public relations were important to get and keep the support of the people.

I love that picture of Amalia. She looks excited to start school! She has also adopted the 'colourful crate on your bike for all your stuff' trend!
rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »

Poor Emma, married to such an old man at twenty. However, she was an excellent mother to her only child and a good regent of her country, too. I think Wilhelmina was a very pretty little girl, as Amalia is now. I do think certain characteristics in looks have come down the generations in the Dutch royal family.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: August 26, 2015, 12:06:36 AM »

Nice pic of Amalia on her bike for her first day of school:

As mentioned by someone in another Dutch Royal topic here on RD Amalia wouldn't stand out in this outfit and with this bike among all the other blond school girls.

My niece, who started her last year of secondary education (lower level than A), has almost the same bike and exactly the same crate (also pink). She also has the long blond hair, which she often wears freely Wink
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: August 26, 2015, 12:22:40 AM »

Poor Emma, married to such an old man at twenty. However, she was an excellent mother to her only child and a good regent of her country, too. I think Wilhelmina was a very pretty little girl, as Amalia is now. I do think certain characteristics in looks have come down the generations in the Dutch royal family.

Indeed, and according to the story Willem at first intended to marry Emma's 3 years older sister Pauline.

At the wedding in 1879 Emma was twenty, while Willem was sixty one.

As mentioned Emma has been regentes for her underaged daughter. She was also appointed as regentes, when needed, for her granddaughter Juliana (from 1909 till 1927). As the government considered Juliana's father prince Hendrik not suitable.

Interesting fact in 1888 Emma's mother died, her father remarried in 1891 to Louise of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Gl?cksburg, who was just 7 months older than Emma. Just like Emma, she was 41 years younger than her step son in law (who already passed away when Louise married Emma's father). The age difference between Louise and George Victor of Waldeck-Pyrmont was "just" 27 years.

King Willem III had the nickname King Gorilla

Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2015, 12:34:51 AM »

Recently I have visited an exhibition in Belgium about the development of the country. Main were the several time periods, especially the periods after 1830 (war of independence). Besides that the Belgian kings and 1 regent (prince Karel/Charles for his brother king Leopold III) were shown (pictures, letters, stories etc). From king Leopold I till Albert II. Ending with that the current king is Philippe.

In the beginning the Dutch royal family is also highlighted. As of 1815 till 1830 the United Kingdom of the Netherlands existed, consisting of Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. Under the reign of the Dutch king Willem I.

In 1830 revolt against the Dutch started in Brussels and spread to the rest of Belgium. Willem I tried to put it down, but it didn't work resulting in an independent Belgium.

Very interesting

Sad with regard to Willem I:
Constitutional changes were initiated in 1840 because the terms which involved the United Kingdom of the Netherlands had to be removed. These constitutional changes also included the introduction of judicial ministerial responsibility. Although the policies remained uncontrolled by parliament, the prerogative was controllable now. The very conservative William could not live with these constitutional changes. This, the disappointment about the loss of Belgium, and William's intention to marry Henrietta d'Oultremont (paradoxically both "Belgian" and Roman Catholic) made him wish to abdicate. He fulfilled this intent on 7 October 1840 and his eldest son acceded to the throne as king William II. William I died in 1843 in Berlin at the age of 71.

https://en.wikipedia.org/.../Henrietta_d%27Oultremont
rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2015, 01:48:50 AM »

Yes, I've read that King Willem was known as an old lecher. Didn't know his nickname was  'the Gorilla' though! I just wonder at some royal mothers and fathers in those days. Get your daughters married off early to a king or heir, doesn't matter really whether the men are old, ugly or of bad reputations, just so long as your daughters are married. Marie of Edinburgh was like that. Her daughter Marie, married off in her teens, ended up repulsed by her husband, King Ferdinand of Romania.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2015, 01:56:56 AM »

One way or another but king Willem III and king Leopold  II (of Belgium) remind me of each other a lot.

Some stories about Willem III
- In 1875 he was even fined during a vacation in Switzerland for exhibitionism. He had his robe thrown open and unsuspecting passers displayed his manhood
- Apparently he had many illegitimate children
- the married king visited brothels and was often drunk in public
- he threw many tantrums (he could become very angry)
- He was nicknamed Koning Gorilla (king Gorilla) and beest der beesten (beast of beasts)
- After the death of his first wife he wanted to marry his then time mistress Emilie Ambre (a Paris opera singer)
- Some bridal choices before Emma who put him down:
  > princess Thyra of Denmark
  > a princess of Hannover
  > his cousin princess Elisabeth of Saxe Weimar
  > princess Pauline of Waldeck Pyrmont.

It has been rumored that Willem III is not the father of Queen Wilhelmina. He was too old, or had syphilis etc.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:08:23 AM by Principessa » Logged
rosella

Warned
Huge Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2015, 03:11:50 AM »

^ Then all these princesses had a very lucky escape, especially Thyra, who of course already had an unfortunate experience and a doomed love affair. I have read that Emma was rumoured to have found happiness elsewhere, and who can blame her. What on earth did the Dutch people think of their King?
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2015, 10:43:06 AM »

^ Then all these princesses had a very lucky escape, especially Thyra, who of course already had an unfortunate experience and a doomed love affair. I have read that Emma was rumoured to have found happiness elsewhere, and who can blame her. What on earth did the Dutch people think of their King?

According to my history lessons he hadn't had a good reputation among the people
Catananche

Baby Member

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2015, 01:42:12 PM »

According to my history lessons he hadn't had a good reputation among the people

I agree. He didn't have a good reputation at all, which made Emma's PR moves to make the Dutch Royal Family more known/popular all the more amazing.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »

Dutch royals in 2014 during a holiday to Peru

fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2015, 09:30:56 PM »

One way or another but king Willem III and king Leopold  II (of Belgium) remind me of each other a lot.

Some stories about Willem III
- In 1875 he was even fined during a vacation in Switzerland for exhibitionism. He had his robe thrown open and unsuspecting passers displayed his manhood
- Apparently he had many illegitimate children
- the married king visited brothels and was often drunk in public
- he threw many tantrums (he could become very angry)
- He was nicknamed Koning Gorilla (king Gorilla) and beest der beesten (beast of beasts)
- After the death of his first wife he wanted to marry his then time mistress Emilie Ambre (a Paris opera singer)
- Some bridal choices before Emma who put him down:
  > princess Thyra of Denmark
  > a princess of Hannover
  > his cousin princess Elisabeth of Saxe Weimar
  > princess Pauline of Waldeck Pyrmont.

It has been rumored that Willem III is not the father of Queen Wilhelmina. He was too old, or had syphilis etc.

With the exception of Thyra, none of the girls was a looker. Pauline was even less so than her sister Emma (the real looker in that family was little sister Marie of W?rttemberg, who sadly died at age 24 from complications after a stillborn birth). I think Willem (or his advisers) chose the "homely" (and in Thyra's case slightly "damaged") girls on purpose: their families had a hard time finding suitable marriages for them, since they were neither pretty nor really well connected and with no impressive dowries. They would be overjoyed with an offer by a king and kindly overlook the fact that Willem was old enough to be gramps and ghastly enough to induce cramps.
Anyway, he did Emma the favor of passing away ten years into the marriage (which is long enough, but I doubt she saw much of him) and enabled her to an interesting and fulfilling life after that.
Plus the Dutch royals luck in love is only in its second gen. Neither Wilhelmina nor Juliana (and none before!!) probably ever felt the Mills&Boons bliss that both the QueenBee and her son sport when looking at their resp. spouses.

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2015, 06:25:21 PM »

New pictures of the Dutch royals released October 12, 2015

Beatrix:

Constantijn:

Laurentien:

Mabel:

Irene: