Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Anne Marie & King Constantine II.  (Read 188107 times)
Flamingo

Medium Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2011, 12:48:11 AM »

Ghastly definitely sounds like a description of Frederica and not AM. Yes  I've read A Measure of Understanding and I think it's an interesting book historically (also, religiously Frederica was quite far out there, and she discusses some of her stranger views), but disappointingly she skips over the events of 1967 COMPLETELY.
Nattie Lite

Medium Member

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2011, 01:16:03 AM »

Ghastly definitely sounds like a description of Frederica and not AM. Yes  I've read A Measure of Understanding and I think it's an interesting book historically (also, religiously Frederica was quite far out there, and she discusses some of her stranger views), but disappointingly she skips over the events of 1967 COMPLETELY.

What's the point of even having an autobiography if she doesn't talk about that?!  Unbelievable.
mrplowfan

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2011, 01:18:21 AM »

I think the point was to talk about herself, which she did. Constantly. After reading it, I understood why Gargamel was attracted to Smuggy. Just like his grandmother.  Crap
Nattie Lite

Medium Member

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2011, 01:23:03 AM »

LOL, mrplowfan.  It's becoming clearer why Frederica was not well liked by the Greeks.
Flamingo

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2011, 06:39:02 AM »

The BEST parts of the book are where she goes on and on about how loved she was by the Greek people. Laugh bounce  I don't think she's trying to deceive the reader; I think she honestly believes this.  If you read the book and don't know any history, you get the impression that she was the perfect Queen whose subjects threw themselves at her feet daily.
Charlotte

Gigantic Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2011, 09:48:19 AM »

Any similarities between Mary and Fredericka?

Nattie Lite

Medium Member

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »

The BEST parts of the book are where she goes on and on about how loved she was by the Greek people. Laugh bounce  I don't think she's trying to deceive the reader; I think she honestly believes this.  If you read the book and don't know any history, you get the impression that she was the perfect Queen whose subjects threw themselves at her feet daily.

Now I want to read the book just for the lolz, even though it isn't any good.  How delusional she must have been.

I'd compare her to Mary too, Charlotte, if it weren't for the fact that the Danes do seem to blindly worship Mary.
Flamingo

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »

I actually do think it's worth reading, if you like royal history and crazy royals with crazy views.  Yes, she does go on and on about herself, and yes, you can tell she's a) delusional and b) narcissistic and in love with herself, but I found most of her writing relatively interesting.  She was definitely an interesting person.

One thing I did appreciate from reading it was it seemed like she actually did love her children and was pretty involved in their lives - not always the case for old school royals.  Perhaps the only good thing I could say about Frederica was that I do think she was a good mother.

Aside from the incredibly disappointing absence of the 1967 coup, she also doesn't talk much about Anne-Marie.  I was sort of disappointed about that, because I've always been curious as to what their relationship was like.  Frederica seems like the MIL from hell, and at 18 Anne-Marie was young and probably easily dominated.  Frederica does mention that she suggested AM and Constantine name their baby Alexia, because she had originally wanted to name Irene that and then changed it.  From outside reading I have the impression that Frederica never "suggested" anything in her life, so I think it was more that she told them they were going to name the baby Alexia.  Can you say CONTROLLING?
Nattie Lite

Medium Member

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2011, 01:09:23 AM »

Thanks, Flamingo!  I think I will definitely check it out now.  It may not be an award-winner, but you're right that she is an interesting person.  There really aren't that many royal autobiographies, so it's interesting for that, if nothing else.

I also share your opinions about Frederica.  I think she was probably an overbearing, domineering mother-in-law too, but having seen pictures of her with her kids, I do think she really loved them.  That said, I think she maybe loved attention a little bit more.  Wink  Just a few weeks ago, I was reading something about the event before Constantine and AM's wedding when tens of thousands of people showed up for a concert in a stadium shortly after the DRF arrived in Greece.  Frederica said she was vibrating with excitement that night, which is funny, considering she was just the mother of the groom.  Also, she made sure she was front and center in all the pictures of the couple during their pre-wedding gala.  Cracks me up every time I see them. 
Flamingo

Medium Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2011, 06:58:36 AM »

Definitely true about the pictures!  I don't wonder why she was so excited about the wedding and all its accompanying events - think how often a royal mother of the groom gets photographed!   Frederica was always an attractive women, and she definitely knew it.  This has always been denied by the family (obviously), but I've heard the rumor that she died on the operating table having a facelift.  (She certainly died during a relatively simple operation, the family just claims it was some sort of eye problem.)  Nothing like dying for vanity. Roll Eyes

I hope you can find the book!  I know it's been out of print for awhile, but you might be able to find it online.  I got lucky and discovered it in my college's library. Smiley
CD.

Humongous Member

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2011, 08:24:35 AM »

LOL, mrplowfan.  It's becoming clearer why Frederica was not well liked by the Greeks.

Actually alot of Greeks from my mum and Dad's region loved the GRF esp QF. In my mum's area, the communists attempted to control the towns and the orphan children where the first in line to be kidnapped for the 'cause'. QF was instrumental in setting up orphanges to protect the children and their are many relatives of mine alive today just becasue of her involvement. Many relatives of mine have the name "Frederica".

My mum adores the GRF(dad doesn't have an opinion either way).

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and military consequences of the lie.The truth is the greatest enemy of the State"

J Goebbels
fairy

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2011, 11:03:40 AM »

I asked a greek friend of mine about the DRF and what was ever so funny was that she said her mom and Granny were absolutely crazy for the royal family. Dad had vetoed "Frederica", since his cousin was called so and he apparently never liked her. So my friend is a Sophia and her brother a Constantine! Yet the funny things actually is that Sophia didn't even know the royal family still existed, calling themselves King and Queen and CP of Greece and rubbing shoulders with the creme de la creme of Europe's royalty.
For her family the chapter "greek monarchy" ended in 196something. Was fun, interesting and wonderful and so over....

Mary's life motto:
"if I had the choice between world peace and a Prada handbag, I'd choose the latter one" Marian Keyes.
Nattie Lite

Medium Member

Mary who?

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2011, 03:21:44 PM »

Actually alot of Greeks from my mum and Dad's region loved the GRF esp QF. In my mum's area, the communists attempted to control the towns and the orphan children where the first in line to be kidnapped for the 'cause'. QF was instrumental in setting up orphanges to protect the children and their are many relatives of mine alive today just becasue of her involvement. Many relatives of mine have the name "Frederica".

My mum adores the GRF(dad doesn't have an opinion either way).

Thanks for that perspective, CD!  Thumb up
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »

Definitely true about the pictures!  I don't wonder why she was so excited about the wedding and all its accompanying events - think how often a royal mother of the groom gets photographed!   Frederica was always an attractive women, and she definitely knew it.  This has always been denied by the family (obviously), but I've heard the rumor that she died on the operating table having a facelift.  (She certainly died during a relatively simple operation, the family just claims it was some sort of eye problem.)  Nothing like dying for vanity. Roll Eyes

I hope you can find the book!  I know it's been out of print for awhile, but you might be able to find it online.  I got lucky and discovered it in my college's library. Smiley

The spanish press(even her spanish wikipedia page) said that she didn't die during the operation. She had cosmetic surgery on her eyes and after the operation she had a heart attack. She was taken to Zarzuela where she died after the doctors admitted they couldn't do anything.

mrplowfan

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2011, 03:59:32 AM »

Can't remember if we've seen this, another Greek wedding documentary. This time from the RJOTW Board. This time you can see the gifts (the tiaras) and the wedding cake, along with Anne-Maries' arrival on the Danish Royal ship.

http://mam.avarchive.gr/p...alview.jsp?get_ac_id=3491
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: