Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Anne Marie & King Constantine II.  (Read 172358 times)
miliosr

Baby Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: June 06, 2020, 06:18:52 PM »

-If there is someone that traded you that day, have you forgive them?
I have forgive them and I don't forget that they had betrayed their oath.
Thanks for translating onar!

Regarding the quote above, this is major revisionist history even for Constantine. What he conveniently leaves out of the picture is that he swore in the colonels' junta in 1967 and thereby conferred legitimacy on it. Having done so, why would he think (then and now) that the colonels would support a counter-coup against themselves given that the head of state had already deputized them as the legitimate government of Greece?

I have a certain amount of sympathy for Constantine because I think he was young, inexperienced and in way over his head in 1967. But, at the end of the day, his legacy will be that he didn't do his duty by standing up to the colonels; thereby ushering in years of human rights violations and incurring the enduring enmity of the Left in Greece. He then compounded the initial mistake by launching a poorly planned, ill-thought-out counter-coup which only reinforced his image as a bungler. (Say what you will about Juan Carlos but he learned from his brother-in-law's mistakes.)

As for the photo spread, the pictures are lovely but they're unintentionally revealing -- Constantine is seated in every single one.
Booklover

Warned
Medium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: June 06, 2020, 08:02:51 PM »

Thank you Onar. Annemarie has always been one of my favorites along with the Duchess of Gloucester.
I think I could self isolate very easily in that beautiful house in Porto Heli. Icecream
periwinkle

Huge Member

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: June 06, 2020, 11:01:52 PM »

Onar you do such nice things for us thank you so much for the translation and thank you Lady A for the pictures. They don't really say anything at all in the interview you get the feeling they have been asked these questions before and they are bored by them. I get the impression they say more by not being specific like didn't the king cheat on her. They just decided to continue as a couple probably because that was instilled in them stay no matter what especially if you are ruling or could be called back just an impression. Anyway it is nice they are living comfortably. The king obviously has mobility issues but he looks to be in good spirits so there is that. I can't figure out what I think of the house and its decoration but it certainly looks comfortable.
Chandrasekhi

Huge Member

Vanuatu Vanuatu

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: June 06, 2020, 11:51:19 PM »

That was a brilliant read, onar.  Hug  Star Star Star
They seem to have made the best of of their situation.

“Do or do not. There is no try.”

– Yoda
onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: June 07, 2020, 08:16:06 PM »

Thank you dishers!
I'm happy to contribute when I can!

miliosr, i don't want to get into politics as it is against the rules of the forum. We have discussed about Konstantinos' actions before, on this board, and let's say he was really naive at the time. IMO he is still is, in a way.

periwinkle, I agree with every single word you wrote about the interview!

Kristallinchen

Humongous Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: June 07, 2020, 10:07:15 PM »

Thanks for the translation, onar. Star
miliosr

Baby Member

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: June 07, 2020, 11:06:12 PM »

Thank you dishers!
I'm happy to contribute when I can!

miliosr, i don't want to get into politics as it is against the rules of the forum. We have discussed about Konstantinos' actions before, on this board, and let's say he was really naive at the time. IMO he is still is, in a way.
onar -- I'm going to leave it there as well. Truly, it's all ancient history at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: