Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 68   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Royal News  (Read 257211 times)
desertrose

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #945 on: June 04, 2019, 08:33:07 PM »

Here is an interview Anne Marie gave in Greek. Could someone translate? How good us her greek?

https://www.youtube.com/w...aogVyLc&feature=share
I'll translate it as soon as I can.
I let it play for 2 minutes, she speeks greek very well. She has a slight accent but not very harsh. I remember an older statement (in a public event, where reporters asked her about Greece) and her accent was pretty harsh but now there is improvement - this interview is from 2017.

Have MC or Tatiana ever spoken Greek in public?
castille

Mini Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #946 on: June 04, 2019, 08:47:51 PM »

Here is an interview Anne Marie gave in Greek. Could someone translate? How good us her greek?

I let it play for 2 minutes, she speeks greek very well. She has a slight accent but not very harsh. I remember an older statement (in a public event, where reporters asked her about Greece) and her accent was pretty harsh but now there is improvement - this interview is from 2017.

Thank You! I would like to know if MC or Tatiana have spoken Greek.

periwinkle

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #947 on: June 08, 2019, 09:17:42 PM »

I read MC never learned Greek except for maybe a handful of words or phrases but if Tatiana lives in Greece surely she knows the language enough to have a decent conversation with someone? I think I read that Anne Marie was the only royal who was never really criticized by the Greek people they knew she was a young a sweet person married to a tragic figure and did her best to have children and live without being too grand.
desertrose

Baby Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #948 on: June 09, 2019, 01:37:48 AM »

I read MC never learned Greek except for maybe a handful of words or phrases but if Tatiana lives in Greece surely she knows the language enough to have a decent conversation with someone? I think I read that Anne Marie was the only royal who was never really criticized by the Greek people they knew she was a young a sweet person married to a tragic figure and did her best to have children and live without being too grand.

Thanks Smiley Did Nikolaos live in Greece before he married Tatiana? Theodora and Philippos might move there too after they marry.
onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #949 on: June 18, 2019, 09:46:38 AM »

Hi!
Apologies, hadn't seen your post until now.
I don't think that posh MC would accept to learn greek.
I have never heard Tatiana speaking greek, but she used to use 3-4 greek phrases in her instagram posts. I suppose she has some level of familiarity with the language since she lives here.

onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #950 on: June 18, 2019, 11:15:13 AM »

I don't think she has never ever been criticized but I believe she was generally accepted because she is so kind and she acts with class and kindness and all these come from her heart and it shows.

onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #951 on: June 18, 2019, 11:17:06 AM »

Thanks Smiley Did Nikolaos live in Greece before he married Tatiana? Theodora and Philippos might move there too after they marry.
No, Nikolaos started living here after his marriage.
As for Theodora and Philippos, I cannot see them living permantely in Greece.
Theodora and her husband couldn't work here, Philippos either. They are used to work (or "work" ) under very different circumstances and they would have to learn fluently a new language. I cannot see them do this.

Princess MS

Warned
Big Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #952 on: June 18, 2019, 11:35:17 AM »

No, Nikolaos started living here after his marriage.
As for Theodora and Philippos, I cannot see them living permantely in Greece.
Theodora and her husband couldn't work here, Philippos either. They are used to work (or "work" ) under very different circumstances and they would have to learn fluently a new language. I cannot see them do this.

I'd agree - Theo was born and grew up in the UK and then lived the US - so English would be her first language with some Danish I presume. Maybe limited Greek and some Spanish as her Aunt was the Queen there. But her future husband is a US Attorney of an Indian background - can't imagine how he would be qualified to work in Greece - or why he would want to. Would he not look to India first ?
onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #953 on: June 18, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »

Translating Anne Marie's interview https://www.youtube.com/w...aogVyLc&feature=share
In the parenthesis, are my comments/additions.
I have tried to stay true to their words, I have tried to use proper english and, at the same time, not to changer their words and the whole sense of the interview.
Please, excuse mistakes I might have!

P=presenter
AM=Anne Marie

AM: Good evening, hello to all! I am Anna Maria and I'm going to talk about my life.
P: In the beginning of April, we are right by the sea. Welcome to realtalk.
AM: Thank you, very much. It is indeed a very beautiful place and I have visited this place many times. When I first came to Greece and even before my marriage. My husband used to do sailing a lot, he had participated in the Olympic games, everyone knows this I believe, and he has many good memories.
P: Do you like the sea Do you feel nice by the sea? Does it make you feel more relaxed?
AM: Yes and no, but I have grown up close to the sea in Denmark, I had always had the sea close to me and this is very important to me.
P: You were the youngest princess among your sisters. (AM laughes and responses yes). Could you remember the place you've grown up and how you used to be, as a little girl?
AM: Like every girl, I suppose. We had a beautiful family, we were all very close to each other. We used to run inside the palace, like all girls. We were growing up in a very nice environment.
P: In comparison with your sisters, you were the most active/joyful one?
AM: They say so. (both laughing). They say so but maybe this happened because I was the youngest one. Because I see from kids that the youngest ones are the most vivid/mischievious. I don't know.

-family photos-

P: If your life, wasn't like this, and if you had to study or work, what would you like to have as an occupation?
AM: I have never thought about it because I was engaged at a very young age.
P: Now that you know yourself better?
AM: What would I do? Probably I would work, possibly I would study, mabe something related to history, stuff like that, but, I confess, I didn't know.
P: Your love for history and music, comes from your dad.
-photos with her father-
AM: Yes, from my dad. My father used to absolutely love music. He used to play the piano he also was conductor in orchestra.
P: Do you have a beautiful voice?
AM: I used to have! (laughs) I don't know if I had but it has been said so! When I was a schoolgirl, I used to sing.
P: I think at home you do sing, a little bit, in english.
AM: Yes. (both laughing). It is true but mostly inside my head, not outloud. But when I listen something or I'm thinking something, then it comes to me (the desire to sing/I guess she was meaning)
P: One more characteristic, you have inherited from your father,  is your sense of humour.
AM: Uhm... I think it comes from both of them. My mother had a strong sense of humour and my father, as well. Maybe my father was more spontaneous. My mother was a little bit kind of...
P: Introvert, reserved? While your father was more outgoing?
-photos of her mother-
AM: Yes.
P: Your humour, has it helped you through your life? To deal with difficult situations?
AM: Of course, it helps. One has to see the funniest moments of life. Of course, there are things that are not funny and not all can be seen as humourous incidents but they are very serious. In some situations, one cannot deal with humour. But when I can, I do try and we laugh at home. We laugh a lot.
P: I have the impression that you laugh a lot, as a family, with your sisters when you are all together. Are you close to each other?
AM: Yes, we are very close to each other. When we were younger, my oldest sister Margrethe was six years older than me, of course she still is, but when one is a little child the difference is big. With my other sister, Benedikte, we were born two years apart. Now we are all older, we are very close, bonded and we frequently talk on the phone with each other.
P: Concidering the kilometers, you live far away, but you do speak a lot on the phone.
AM: Yes, yes! With the one more than the other. My oldest sister is not very fond of telephones and electronic devices (both laughing)
P: I have informed that you communicate easily with electronic/digital ways.
AM: Easier yes but not very easily. But I like it! It is convinient and interesting!
P: If I'm not mistaken, in 2000 you lost your mother. Was it something that brought you even closer to your sisters?
AM: Precisely. Yes, it did. This is a moment we all remember strongly because from that point we were just the three of us, we no longer had parents. I clearly remember when we wanted to organise all my mother's possesions, we used to see her personal things and we were laughing a lot because we were talking "remember when she said this/wore this/did this" and it made us laughing a lot. It was very pleasant and not sad at all. We weren't sad. On the contrary.
P: It brought you happy memories.
AM:. This. Exactly.

-family photos-

P: Which was the greatest thing, in your opinion, you learnt from your mother?
AM: So many things. So many things because every day I'm thinking about her for something she has thought us. All of us. But I clearly remember the day I got married, she told me "You know, now that you're getting married, you should become a Greek woman. Because I did the same thing. I came from Sweden, and I went to Denmark, and I became a Danish woman. And you should so immediately". I'm thinking about it regularly but for me, it wasn't difficult.
-pause and AM very touched-
AM: Greece has given me so many things. And I don't know why I'm like this (tearful) now. Apologies.

P: I suppose it was your mother, I guess it because I'm a mother too, who gave you the foundations to creat your own big family.
AM:. Maybe. Most probably.
P: You spent your childhood in a healthy family environment this is what you transfer in your life.
AM: Yes, we have transfered it in our life. Yes, precisely. And as I said, the day I got married I knew that Greece was my homeland. I wasn't thinking anything else.
P: We deeply appreciate the fact that you insisted yourself to have this conversation in greek.
AM: Yes. It should (be done in greek) and maybe doesn't should as good as it should and you have to be patient for me to find the right words. (laughs) The greek languages has very long words and for me... I cannot speak them.
P: It is among the most difficult languages, it is true.
AM: Very!
P: But you made sure that your children and your grandchildren to learn the greek language.
AM: We tried. Now we live in Greece again, we do speak the language a lot and because we hear the language daily, from tv, from friends, everywhere, it helped me a lot. But it was hard in the beginning. Hard.
P: You met your husband when you were 13 years old. I don' know if you remember this meeting.
AM: I remember it very well!
P: Really? (both laughing)
AM: Not with him only, but with the whole family! They were travelling, king Pavlos and queen Fredericka (she mentions her with the greek accent of the name), along with their children, all around Europe, every year during fall I think. And they were visiting different royal families they were related to, because all of us are related. We are relatives. Not very close relatives, but we are. And it's nice to meet people this way. And they were asking my parents if they may come to Denmark, to see us, to see the country, and my parents accepted with pleasure. And they do came to Denmark, in a palace outside Copenhagen, called Fredensborg. It is a lovely place! And we met them there and it was very nice. I was young but nevertheless we were all together and I remember that as they were living we said we had to meet again, at some point in the future.
P: Meaning meeting the whole family?
AM: The whole family, indeed.

-family photos and videos-

P: When you saw him, for the first time, did he impress you?
AM: No, he was simply a cousin, just like many others.
P: When you meet again three years later, in the nuptials of princess Sofia with Juan Carlos, that was the moment when...
AM: Something... something...
P: Oh, not only something... I have learnt that you were the only one he wanted to dance with!
AM: I don't know if it is true (laughing) but it was the first time I came to Greece and I was really impressed. The sky, the sea...
P: The light?
AM: The light! The greek light is...! It doesn't exist anywhere else! And Athens, as well! I liked it very much! It was so white and it was so big...
P: Wide?
AM: Wide! And I hadn't seen anything like this before.
P: Different architecture?
AM: Very. And maybe not all buildings are beautiful but when you see them from the plane, it's very nice. It is really impressive and it still, today, every day I see it, impresses me.
P: Really?
AM: It doesn't exist anywhere else!
P: However, your husband had already expressed his interest. He had seen a photo of you in an older age since your first meeting. Is it true that he had talked to his father about him wanted to "marry you, the most beautiful princess" ?
AM: He sais so. He told me that later. (laughing)
P: After all these years, haven't you talked about it? (laughing)
AM: No, but what I think that happened was that he had seen a photo in a magazine and I think it was king Pavlos' doctor who indicated the photo, Thomas Doxiades, Constantinos saw it and he said "let's go there and see".
P: He was determined, this is what I understand.
AM: Maybe. (kind laughing)
P: How your father reacted?
AM: He was very happy.
P: How happy? There is a rumour that when he first listen about the marrieg, he locked him in the bathroom!
AM: (strong laughs)Yes, this is true!
P: You were his favourite, youngest daughter.
AM: I don't know... I was young and I think that nobody expected, me neither, that I was going to marry and leave home first. But Constantinos was in Denmark again, and also in Germany and in Paris for conversations about NATO, and he came to Denmark for the same reason. One night, my father and I wanted to go to the theatre, to watch a ballet show, because in our family we deeply like ballet. And that night, it happened to be a photographer sitting in front of us, on the other side of the theatre. He saw the king (Constantinos) to use his hand, putting in front of our faces, and whispering something to me. That something it was that he had asked from my father to talk to him, after the play. We went back to palace...
P: Were you surprised or did you expected it?
AM: I knew it! I knew it because he had already asked me but I had told him to not tell my parents yet! because I was so young! So, we were waiting 4-5 d... months!
P: Months!
AM: Until January. That night, my father led him to his office, right next the living room that the rest of us sitting, later Constantinos told me that he said he wanted to marry his daughter and my father responsed "Yes, but I have to talk to my wife". And he said "come with me", so he opened a door and locked him in and he was waiting. When Constantinos got inside, it was too dark, he didn't know where he was. He turned on the light and he saw it was a bathroom. He stayed there. My father came back to the living room and he told my mother "He wants to marry our daughter. What do you think? " My mother asnwered that it is a very nice idea, we love him and they are very close together but "what did you do to him? Where is he? " and my father told he had locked him inside the bathroom and my mother told "Don't you think that is a good idea to tell him to come over to celebrate, to open a bottle of champagne? " And this is what happened.
P: He did try to conquer you!
AM: I don't know (laughing)
P: He did, it was about the most beautiful princess! Everyone sais so, not only me!

-video from Anne-Marie's arrival in Greece-

P: And soon the calendar shows September 18th, 1964. You're only 18yo and 18 days?
AM: Yes, all 18.
P: Do you have any favourite number?
AM: In my family, they have number 9.
P: So, it makes 9 again.
AM: Yes, we have 9 again.
P: Because your descriptions are amazing, I would like to talk to us about that day.
AM: One thing I remember, I was very calm. I had my sisters, my mother. The hairdresser was with us, he came from Denmark, stuff like this. But everything was calm.
P: And the designer of your wedding gown...
AM: I used to smoke back then, just a little bit... My sisters and my mother used to smoke a lot more than me, back then. Later, we quit (smocking). But it was a very nice day.
P: And the designer of your wedding gown, was from Denmark too.
AM: From Denmark, yes. He was old then and he wanted to did something to look greek but, unfortunately, I don't know where the gown is.
P: Really?
AM: It is lost. Maybe, it could be in a storage that we don't know it exists.
P: Maybe in your transition (it went lost). Your veil was 6 m. long! How many bridesmaids did you have?
AM: 6 or 8.
P: And many foreign, high status people were invited, royals...
AM: With most of them we were relatives and it was natural for us to invite them.
P: The most important thing is that all the people here, they were waiting for this to happen, they were living for this, all the roads were with flags, people were waiting in both sides of the roads. According to the protocol, you were with your father in the first carriage?

I stop here and I'll continue later for the rest of it!

leatherface

Huge Member

Nigeria Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #954 on: June 18, 2019, 01:34:25 PM »

Thank you for the translation Onar  Star

Anne Marie comes across as a lovely woman.
Kayzilla

Micro Member

Ignore
« Reply #955 on: June 18, 2019, 01:40:28 PM »

Thank you for the translation! I love the part about locking the king of Greece in a bathroom while her parents discussed his proposal.  Laugh bounce
Principessa

Most Exalted Member

Netherlands Netherlands

I am the Queen

Ignore
« Reply #956 on: June 18, 2019, 01:42:22 PM »

Thank you for the translation! I love the part about locking the king of Greece in a bathroom while her parents discussed his proposal.  Laugh bounce

I have also read about this in the book about Christian IX and his descendants (which was accompanying the tv show, which featured many (related) royals) It is indeed hilarious
onar

Gigantic Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #957 on: June 18, 2019, 03:25:59 PM »

I'so very happy you enjoy the translation, although now I notice too many mistakes. Unfortunately I had to turn off my computer earlier so I posted without re-reading it.

Kristallinchen

Huge Member

Austria Austria

Ignore
« Reply #958 on: June 18, 2019, 10:31:47 PM »

Star

Thanks so much for the translation, onar. Annemarie is really a great woman. Can't wait for the second part.
LongMaySheReign

Micro Member

France France

Ignore
« Reply #959 on: June 19, 2019, 01:17:55 AM »

Thank you onar. I have a soft spot for Annemarie.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 68   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: