Please read here on how to use images on RoyalDish. - Please read the RoyalDish message on board purpose and rules.
Images containing full nudity or sexual activities are strongly forbidden on RoyalDish.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liechtenstein  (Read 49788 times)
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2012, 03:22:53 AM »

What Princely duties? Come on.

At least I hear about the other royal families going out and doing things.  The only time I ever hear about Liechtenstein is on their National Day when the subjects are allowed to come out and fawn over their overlords!

Whatever will they do, then? How will they spend their days and nights? What happens when the money runs out?Huh??

I really hope that the people of Liechtenstein call his bluff.

I hope so too.  He's not fit to lead.  A true leader would never go around making childish statements like this.  He's like a spoiled little boy who wants to be a tyrant. 
CindyM

Small Member

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2012, 06:45:05 AM »

At least I hear about the other royal families going out and doing things.  The only time I ever hear about Liechtenstein is on their National Day when the subjects are allowed to come out and fawn over their overlords!

Whatever will they do, then? How will they spend their days and nights? What happens when the money runs out?Huh??

From what I understand, the Princely Family does have other duties, not just the National Day.  I've seen pics of Princess Marie, Sophie and Angela doing duties like handing out prizes in skiing competitions and visiting businesses/organizations in the country.  I doubt their money will run out if they quit.  Unlike other royals, the Liechtensteins are rich in their own right.  The Liechtenstein citizens don't support their lifestyle and not one cent of their tax money goes to the Princely Family.  The family has the LGT bank, the collection of paintings, winery, forestry and other businesses that's fully owned by the family.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:51:51 AM by CindyM » Logged
SydneyLux

Micro Member

Luxembourg Luxembourg

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2012, 03:02:27 PM »

The people of Liechtenstein aren't exactly the poor citizens when it comes to these questions Roll Eyes

Only nine years ago in 2003, 64.32% Liechtensteiners voted to give the prince more power. Back then Hans-Adam threatened to leave and the people clearly decided that they didn't want him to leave but instead gave him much more power: now he can dismiss the government and parliament without so much as an explanantion and reign by emergency regulations, also he can nominate the judges. In turn the people of Liechtenstein can now have a no-confidence vote to get rid of the prince, even though it's a pretty complicated procedure and thus quite hard to bring through.

And yes, the family has much more duties than just showing up for National Day. You don't read much if anything about it in the international press, but you can have a look on the websites of Liechtenstein's major newspapers Volksblatt and Vaterland.

And as CindyM said that do not need to worry to run out of money even if they leave Liechtenstein. The Fürst Liechtenstein Stiftung (Prince of Liechtenstein Foundation) owns 15 companies including the LGT Group, large real estates, two museums and one of the biggest art collections in the world. The foundation supports various family members and is said to be worth several billions. Hans-Adam is the sixth richest monarch in the world.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:10:41 PM by SydneyLux » Logged
pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2012, 11:00:22 PM »

The people of Liechtenstein aren't exactly the poor citizens when it comes to these questions Roll Eyes

Only nine years ago in 2003, 64.32% Liechtensteiners voted to give the prince more power. Back then Hans-Adam threatened to leave and the people clearly decided that they didn't want him to leave but instead gave him much more power: now he can dismiss the government and parliament without so much as an explanantion and reign by emergency regulations, also he can nominate the judges. In turn the people of Liechtenstein can now have a no-confidence vote to get rid of the prince, even though it's a pretty complicated procedure and thus quite hard to bring through.

And yes, the family has much more duties than just showing up for National Day. You don't read much if anything about it in the international press, but you can have a look on the websites of Liechtenstein's major newspapers Volksblatt and Vaterland.

And as CindyM said that do not need to worry to run out of money even if they leave Liechtenstein. The Fürst Liechtenstein Stiftung (Prince of Liechtenstein Foundation) owns 15 companies including the LGT Group, large real estates, two museums and one of the biggest art collections in the world. The foundation supports various family members and is said to be worth several billions. Hans-Adam is the sixth richest monarch in the world.

IIRC, there was a lot of pressure put on the people to vote a certain way during that election.  One of the opposition leaders found his poor cat killed on his doorstep by someone trying to intimidate him.  I'm not saying any of the princes did this, but it is indeed sketchy and not something that should happen in a civilized country. 

I've no doubt that they will continue to live very comfortable lives; I just don't have a lot of respect for anyone who goes around throwing little hissy fits.  It sounds to me like he doesn't have a lot of respect or faith in his subjects.  These are not the qualities that a good leader should have.  These are the qualities often found in paranoid dictators.  I'm sure that the princely family does good deeds and provides a lot of charity assistance; however, all this is overshadowed by Alois' whining about power.  It makes him look like a joke. 
Ugly Betty

Gigantic Member

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2012, 07:35:53 AM »

At least I hear about the other royal families going out and doing things.  The only time I ever hear about Liechtenstein is on their National Day when the subjects are allowed to come out and fawn over their overlords!

I hope so too.  He's not fit to lead.  A true leader would never go around making childish statements like this.  He's like a spoiled little boy who wants to be a tyrant. 

This sounds like a case of I'm-taking-my-ball-and-going-home-if-I don't-get-my-own-way tantrum.  I think the good people of Liechtenstein should make him put his money where his mouth is and vote for him to lose his veto powers.  Anyone want to do an over/under on how fast he backpeddles on his threat?
My13

Big Member

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »

This sounds like a case of I'm-taking-my-ball-and-going-home-if-I don't-get-my-own-way tantrum.  I think the good people of Liechtenstein should make him put his money where his mouth is and vote for him to lose his veto powers.  Anyone want to do an over/under on how fast he backpeddles on his threat?

Liechtenstein’s royal family has indicated it would veto the results of any referendum that removed the prince’s power to veto the results of referendums.

http://articles.boston.co...o-royals-liechtensteiners
Cara

Humongous Member

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »

so much for quitting...
Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »

Liechtenstein Monarch Will Keep Veto Powers After Referendum

Liechtenstein’s hereditary monarch retained his veto powers after winning a referendum sparked by his threat to block moves to legalize abortion in the Alpine principality.
Citizens of the Manhattan-sized country voted 76 percent to 24 percent in favor of Prince Alois von und zu Liechtenstein retaining his right to overrule plebiscites, the government said today on its website after all the votes were counted. Eighty- three percent of eligible voters participated, it said.
The prince angered some residents when he threatened in August to use his veto should the electorate support a campaign to legalize abortion. Sidelining 44-year-old Alois, whose family owns Liechtenstein’s biggest bank, would jeopardize the prosperity that gives the country’s 36,000 residents the world’s second-highest per capita income after Monaco, according to royalist lobby group Prince and People.
“It would have dramatic consequences for the future of our country,” Alexander Batliner, head of the center-right Progressive Citizens’ Party, which forms a coalition government with the larger Patriotic Union, said before the poll. “With this dualism of the prince and the people, our sovereignty is better protected than if we were a republic.”
The royal family has only exercised the veto once over the transfer of hunting rights in 1961. When Alois’s father Hans- Adam II warned that he might leave Liechtenstein in 2003, the electorate granted him more powers in a move the Council of Europe said was “a serious backward step” for democracy.
“It’s tragic that a large part of the country’s elite, including famous managers of important companies, fear the prince’s exodus and with him the country’s success,” Mario Frick, the former head of government and chairman of the private bank Frick & Co. AG, said before the vote.
“It would be good if the people get the last say, because under the current situation the country looks a bit backward.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/...ers-after-referendum.html

Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2012, 08:09:56 PM »

The Prince vs. the 'Paupers'
Liechtenstein's billionaire royal family is threatening to literally abandon its tiny, wealthy principality over a referendum to curtail its power. Is this the coming of the Liechtenspring?

http://www.foreignpolicy....the_prince_vs_the_paupers

Chrissie

Medium Member

Eleanor, Queen of Badassery

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »

That's one princely family that has the backing of their subjects... They can't be doing too badly in light of that kind of result. 3 out of 4 want them to keep their power, after the majority voted to actually increase the power of the prince ten years ago? I don't see that happening anywhere else in Europe. And there's even the escape clause that the Liechtensteinians can get rid of the princely family by plebiscite. It appears to be a case of "why change a running system?"

Clara
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Spain Spain

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »

Well, blackmailing your subjects with potential economic ruin if they don't back you up is not a great way to rule a country.

pixiecat
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Cuba Cuba

Pixiecat loves to Dish!

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2012, 05:06:48 AM »

Well, blackmailing your subjects with potential economic ruin if they don't back you up is not a great way to rule a country.

There was some other shadiness that popped up during another election similar to this one that happened a few years ago.  Some piece of garbage actually murdered the cat of a person who was in opposition to the prince.  Scumbags.  After I read about that incident, I lost all respect for these guys.  They are as shady as can be, IMO.  They rule with an iron fist, which really disgusts me.  It's a shame.  That type of monarchy (or prince-archy?) has no place in modern western society.  None.  There's no excuse for their attitude. 
PeDe
Board Helper
Most Exalted Member

Germany Germany

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2012, 07:21:30 PM »

I really cannot stand this idiot, but here it goes anyway:

August 15
Prince Hans Adam II of Liechtenstein and his wife Princess Marie with their son Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein during a ceremony celebrating the national holiday in front of Schloss Vaduz castle in Vaduz.

here w/Sophie

TLLK

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »

August 15
Prince Hans Adam II of Liechtenstein and his wife Princess Marie with their son Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein during a ceremony celebrating the national holiday in front of Schloss Vaduz castle in Vaduz.

here w/Sophie

Thanks PeDe. I haven't seen photos from this event in a long time. From what I recall the family invites the nation to a big party held near the castle.
Miss Waynfleet

Most Exalted Member

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »

Isn´t that true?  Imo the most unpleasent monarchy in Europe. Congrats FatAl! 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: